Recommend An Angling Book.

Excellent post Newkid, the first time I fished was on a holiday in Devon when I was about 6 or 7......my dad wasn't really a fisherman although he had a brilliant knowledge of how to feed yourself off the land and what mushrooms and plants you could eat and such like......had a trip to Lyme Regis this one day and I saw this little rod & reel set in a shop and wanted it......stopped at the river otter on the way back and used our sandwiches as bait......caught f**k all but was absolutely hooked from that moment

Went to another river up there a couple of days later and remember seeing the mullet run up the river.......I will never forget any of it as long as I live

Nice memories Wilf, I've fished the mouth of the Otter a bit where it comes out at Budleigh, a mate fishes for sea trout on the Otter a lot, I don't do a lot of fly fishing tbh... The bit of tidal Exe I talked about in my post fills up with mullet in the summer, I mean thousands... You could count mullet in the matches but not trout, never made sense to me especially one match where I carefully played in what I was sure was a mullet only to see it was a bloody great brown trout, on any other day I'd have been delighted, I was bloody gutted lol... Mullet go like a train on course gear though, I'd say pound for pound there the best fighting fish I've caught....

Do you still holiday down this way mate?

• Like 1

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some great old stories lads, it's nice most of us fishermen remember the old ways as our favourite, and I think most of us revert back to that eventually as well..   " learn to fish like Uncle Bill"

That's the way Wilf, my lads 7 now my girls 5, I'm worried there will never be a peaceful fishing trip again lol... I love that enthusiasum they have though, you can easily forget how simple fishing s

I feel the same about carp fishing mate. it's a shame really because there nothing quite like a summers evening stalking a few out. I just hope it will lose it's draw to the idiots so it's easier for

Posted Images

No mate, not been down there for years except on odd days for work.

Your bang on about the mullet, they go like the clappers....we used to fish for them all the time off the bottom of Southend pier where you could get down underneath.

Would dig sand rag and use 2lb tc carp rods......what a fight and good fun mate

• Like 1

No mate, not been down there for years except on odd days for work.

Your bang on about the mullet, they go like the clappers....we used to fish for them all the time off the bottom of Southend pier where you could get down underneath.

Would dig sand rag and use 2lb tc carp rods......what a fight and good fun mate

Another underrated fish on light gear is the mackerel mate, we free line sand eels in the Teign estuary for bass, 5lb line ( or braid) a swivel hook length and hook fished on a match rod... The bass go well but it's mad the fight a mackerel puts up....

Let us know if your ever down this neck of the woods, could get an evening in on the river or bassing...

• Like 1

A history of yately. Love that water and theres some good friends in the book. Also gareth farehams book. Borrowed it off a mate some brilliant pics and memories.

I have a picture of one of my fish in the History of Yateley book :)

• Like 1

A history of yately. Love that water and theres some good friends in the book. Also gareth farehams book. Borrowed it off a mate some brilliant pics and memories.

What lake was it from matey ?

I forgot to Say Brian plummer said one of his most treasured moments was meeting Fred J Taylor as he'd always admired his writing and his Ideas. This was when we were down at his house picking up the SWDA dissertation to the Scottish Govt during the Watson bill and Brian and my old men were sitting talking.

• Like 1

I forgot to Say Brian plummer said one of his most treasured moments was meeting Fred J Taylor as he'd always admired his writing and his Ideas. This was when we were down at his house picking up the SWDA dissertation to the Scottish Govt during the Watson bill and Brian and my old men were sitting talking.

Now that I would love to have seen.....both excellent authors,but I would have thought they were like chalk and cheese,Its strange really for all FJT loved all countrysports he was never a dog man,in his ferreting book he states something to the tune of not for me,but wouldn't deprive anybody else doing so,similair to Ted Walsh rip

North Lake

North Lake

Fair play to you matey, one of the known fish was it?........I only ever spent time up there on the McMillan charity events which were always good weekends but not really for serious fishing as you had a lot of anglers descend on the lake at once and the fishing could go either way.

Always tucked myself out the way and managed to sneak a few out mind you.

I have not fished for carp for a few years as I became disillusioned with the it after seeing the amount of pricks it was attracting ( you think you get pricks at gamefairs, try being a bailiff on a carp fishery!!!!)........when I find myself a massive old water where I can be left alone then I will return.......until then, I will just be taking my boy float fishing and having the odd trip to the river, roaming with the tip :)

Atb

• Like 4

North Lake

Fair play to you matey, one of the known fish was it?........I only ever spent time up there on the McMillan charity events which were always good weekends but not really for serious fishing as you had a lot of anglers descend on the lake at once and the fishing could go either way.

I have not fished for carp for a few years as I became disillusioned with the it after seeing the amount of pricks it was attracting ( you think you get pricks at gamefairs, try being a bailiff on a carp fishery!!!!)........when I find myself a massive old water where I can be left alone then I will return.......until then, I will just be taking my boy float fishing and having the odd trip to the river, roaming with the tip :)

Atb

I feel the same about carp fishing mate. it's a shame really because there nothing quite like a summers evening stalking a few out. I just hope it will lose it's draw to the idiots so it's easier for me to find a quite corner somewhere. for now i'll stick to the quite stretches of river and the odd unknown pond.

• Like 5

I know what you lads are saying about most waters, it can get tedious when theres lads there getting smashed and having a party, but there are a few waters dotted around where you arnt likely to see many anglers at all. Im fishing one at the minute. Its about 20 acres with 2 known 30s and pretty fish they are too. I have seen one person so far and he was a pike fisherman. So they are about .....

• Like 2

North Lake

Atb

Done the last 8 years on the Mcmillan events on the complex.... just a BIG social really, but have had a few along the way. Fish is known, but has been at the same weight for about 20 years around 22lb, but a true old warrior. Hearing you on the ammount of pricks taking up carp fishing, never fished before straight into carp..... :(, used to go down to college reservoir in the early eighty's nearly 80 acres of peace and quite

Edited by Flipper_Al
  • Like 1

Good stuff mate, just back from float fishing with my little lad......he was casting, putting the maggots on, unhooking perch and roach......the whole works

Had a robin feeding off his leg and a Canada goose bite his finger ! Lol......great stuff for a 5 year old lad

All the best to all you lads who " feel" it ;)

• Like 5

Good stuff mate, just back from float fishing with my little lad......he was casting, putting the maggots on, unhooking perch and roach......the whole works

Had a robin feeding off his leg and a Canada goose bite his finger ! Lol......great stuff for a 5 year old lad

All the best to all you lads who " feel" it ;)

That's the way Wilf, my lads 7 now my girls 5, I'm worried there will never be a peaceful fishing trip again lol... I love that enthusiasum they have though, you can easily forget how simple fishing should and can be, fortunately the kids soon remind you... A 2oz roach is greeted like a 20lb carp by a 7 year old lol..

• Like 5