Is The Greyhound Blood Really Needed In A Fen Dog ??

A saluki has more than enough speed for a fenland hare. It also has an inbuilt instinct on how to use it. Im looking forward to seeing this pup run on my land and seeing the qualitys a pure sal has.

don't get to exited most pure salukis don't cut the mustard, they just lack that little bit extra
And what is that little extra ???
Greyhound blood isn't added to the saluki for the sake of it. It works. And works well :thumbs:

I know i have the proof here. But im talking about dogs used purely for the fen. Most coursing men say you should always breed back to the saluki not the greyhound.

why breed back to any?... if i was running a fen dog id breed it back to a fen dog not a pure

It's quite common in any line regardless of breeding to go back to a pure now and then,good way of bringing some fresh blood in

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As most modern greyhounds appear to have been bred for speed around a track rather than ability in the field it would seem to me to make more sense to use a fen bred lurcher, which will have the advan

IMO the answer to the posters question is "It depends if your saluki is fast enough".     Today i don't believe we need any addition of greyhound blood to the coursing gene pool. There's plenty eno

i wouldnt mind a bit of "master mcgrath", or "fullerton" blood but those days are long gone, sam the man might have been something to think about, a few years back,   although i wouldnt put one of t

As most modern greyhounds appear to have been bred for speed around a track rather than ability in the field it would seem to me to make more sense to use a fen bred lurcher, which will have the advantage of stamina, coursing sense, enough pace, and durability. But hey...what would I know?

I would love the opportunty to try a saluki x Galgo however, which may just approximate the original greyhound before breeding for the track lost some of these qualities.

Edited by BOLIO1
  • Like 7

As most modern greyhounds appear to have been bred for speed around a track rather than ability in the field it would seem to me to make more sense to use a fen bred lurcher, which will have the advantage of stamina, coursing sense, enough pace, and durability. But hey...what would I know?

I would love the opportunty to try a saluki x Galgo however, which may just approximate the original greyhound before breeding for the track lost some of these qualities.

that's a good point mate or even galgos over a grey to improve the hunting greys

IMO the answer to the posters question is "It depends if your saluki is fast enough".

Today i don't believe we need any addition of greyhound blood to the coursing gene pool. There's plenty enough very fast saluki hybrids with great feet, great wind and that all-too-important instinct around to bother going to a dog that has neither of the three. IMO using a greyhound over todays coursing dog is going backwards, not forwards. But that's JMHO....JD

• Like 4

i dont agree with all that darcy imo in time you will need to bring greyhound blood back in to freshen it up. you maybe wont get a goodun for the fens direct out of greyhound but 2nd and 3rd genration id say you very well could. just my personal opinian :thumbs:

But would it not be better usuing another fen dog instead of a pure grey? i know were darcy is coming from, there is plenty of good dogs now out there

so if you didnt want to start off yourself what would be the point in a first cross now adays?

• Like 1

i dont agree with all that darcy imo in time you will need to bring greyhound blood back in to freshen it up. you maybe wont get a goodun for the fens direct out of greyhound but 2nd and 3rd genration id say you very well could. just my personal opinian :thumbs:

not if you have got decent saluki lines in the first place the mediocre salukis need the greyhound blood I run pures and they catch easy enough as do a lot of other lads :thumbs:

• Like 1

whats the salukis like at taking fox are they any good? a lota people snub the greyhound constantly slating them, but where would the lurcher world be without these magnificent large running dogs. who wants to see a ten min chase by a slow dog when the added speed of the grey would cut the time down ten fold cause if it cant run it aint gona catch anything. which should be the most important factor in any running dog.

• Like 1

its all down to lines and aggressiveness/prey drive in the dog a good saluki will take what it is slipped on. Dont assume that all salukis are plodders or slow on the kill they are not, just as allx.s and lurchers are not speed merchants and fen dogs

imo doginlad a first cross wouldnt suit where i run thats why i say 2nd and 3rd genaration. theres fast saluki lurchers out there but i wouldnt just through the greyhound to the side just yet. some times theres a means to a end. its just finding the right mix what clicks

not if you have got decent saluki lines in the first place the mediocre salukis need the greyhound blood I run pures and they catch easy enough as do a lot of other lads :thumbs:

in your opinain desertbred witch would you say would make the better fen dog a pure saluki from decent lines like yours or one of the decent saluki lurchers about now :thumbs: