Lamping Hares

matt the rat.i remember it well it was 1980 when the keeper from liscombe park came to see me .he wanted to have a parly he was a bit depressed someone was cutting thru his pheashants stocks like a knife thru butter he was loseing sometimes 60 birds in a night.air rifle i believe .he had been told of the deal me and the late colin stone woburn keeper had come to .any way we talked terms i could come on the estate course hares rabitts but nothing else .ok i said .then he said but i will have to be with you at all times oh no i said my word is my bond i cant do that .anyway i said no hard feeelings come and look at my latest breeding there they were charlie the dad and several of his progeny .i talked to him proudly about titan big brindle deeerhound lurcherxgsd x g.high hopes i had for him very fast as good as a fast greyhound best dog for speed i had ever bred .couple days later went out to my big dog pen titan was laying there nearly dead died in my arms poisoined.charlie his dad was foaming at the mouth stagerring around like he was drunk he survived.of course the keeper had to reap whaht he had sown later on.

You've lost me.

What have your poaching exploits got to do with lamping hares?

All very interesting, but please try and stay on topic rather than using this as a way of promoting your own past deeds.

>>>

low plains drifter.netting is the answer better than being blown to bits by a twelve bore

'Blown to bits'?

That's a very emotive way of describing some shot hares.

It's a bit like shooters saying 'Torn to bits' when talking about dogged hares.

Neither is a correct description, nor do they do anything to

help.lockquote>

Ah reckon Matt the Rat needs to chill out a bit...blackgreyhound is a strange one I'll admit and does get a bit emotive...life's tapestry and all that...but he makes some good points...there's far worse misdeeds spoken of on here folk could be taken to task on...what's wrong with the man recounting past poaching tales/exploits - can't see the harm in it personally - we must all have tales to tell and plenty have told them on here in the past?!?!? And as for folk staying 'on topic' jesus Matt the Rat you're having laugh... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

im saying nothing about staying "on topic" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast:

i have to be the worst on here apart from baw and lab maybe for hijacking threads :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i think ive got internet tourettes :laugh: :laugh:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lamped hare,daytime hare...difference?..f**k all apart from ones ran in daylight the other gets ran in the dark lol..if it gets caught its dying..same end result?.....back in the day of the late 80's

I find they taste the same as daytime hares.

ive ran hares on the lamp i think if there run regular you get some excellent sport ,i dont think its for failed daytime dogs ,yes they do make the odd mistakes but all lamped quarry does , they can

matt the rat.i remember it well it was 1980 when the keeper from liscombe park came to see me .he wanted to have a parly he was a bit depressed someone was cutting thru his pheashants stocks like a knife thru butter he was loseing sometimes 60 birds in a night.air rifle i believe .he had been told of the deal me and the late colin stone woburn keeper had come to .any way we talked terms i could come on the estate course hares rabitts but nothing else .ok i said .then he said but i will have to be with you at all times oh no i said my word is my bond i cant do that .anyway i said no hard feeelings come and look at my latest breeding there they were charlie the dad and several of his progeny .i talked to him proudly about titan big brindle deeerhound lurcherxgsd x g.high hopes i had for him very fast as good as a fast greyhound best dog for speed i had ever bred .couple days later went out to my big dog pen titan was laying there nearly dead died in my arms poisoined.charlie his dad was foaming at the mouth stagerring around like he was drunk he survived.of course the keeper had to reap whaht he had sown later on.

You've lost me.

What have your poaching exploits got to do with lamping hares?

All very interesting, but please try and stay on topic rather than using this as a way of promoting your own past deeds.

>>>

low plains drifter.netting is the answer better than being blown to bits by a twelve bore

'Blown to bits'?

That's a very emotive way of describing some shot hares.

It's a bit like shooters saying 'Torn to bits' when talking about dogged hares.

Neither is a correct description, nor do they do anything to

help.lockquote>

Ah reckon Matt the Rat needs to chill out a bit...blackgreyhound is a strange one I'll admit and does get a bit emotive...life's tapestry and all that...but he makes some good points...there's far worse misdeeds spoken of on here folk could be taken to task on...what's wrong with the man recounting past poaching tales/exploits - can't see the harm in it personally - we must all have tales to tell and plenty have told them on here in the past?!?!? And as for folk staying 'on topic' jesus Matt the Rat you're having laugh... :laugh::laugh: :

laugh:

im saying nothing about staying "on topic" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast::toast:

i have to be the worst on here apart from baw and lab maybe for hijacking threads :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i think ive got internet tourettes :laugh: :laugh:

Who????? You????? The thought never crossed my mind........well.......maybe a little bit... :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

the pound coin is is stronger than respect and pre ban at five pound a go i killed them in the lamp nothing to do with right or wrong it was a way to keep the house hold going there some shite talked on here at times i bet half the people on here never ran a day and night dog or seen one if it was in the beam it was fair game same in the day time kick it up get it in the bag and that is how it went a means to a end in the real world running for sport different ball game but not for me. atb

That's the way it was Troter..to some of us who weren't born with a silver spoon in our mouths and had feck all but a Lurcher..it was a means of putting a few quid into the household income...80's and 90's was tough in this area,unemployment was the highest in the uk...it was survival and if it meant bouncing a "mythical" hare or two off a fence with a dazzler then so be it...some of you lot ain't had to live lol...no its not something I have done in recent years but I would never condemn a person for choosing to do it...it would be hypocritical to say the least and I bet there's plenty of those posted on this topic :-)

• Like 3

All pre ban of course Iam not against it every man too there own on what they want too do but for me yea I would of took them preban if I want one for the pot or a freind then yea but there not something that I would eat every day of the week so ud be lucky if i would of took 10 a year and iam not a type too go out during the day for one iam more of a lamping man then daytime and i still can't find a good recipe for hare for on the BBQ so there not on my dinner list

Soak meat overnight in saltwater,rinse and dice hare put in casserole dish with onions,carrots mushrooms,packet of colmans beef casserole mix,slow cook in oven about 6 hours simple and delicious
thx lad similar too what we do my gran also makes soup from them still need some thing for the BBQ though we usually make rabbit burgers and venison steaks and burgers sousages and ribs just can't find many dishes from hare cos we like too experiment

:yes:........@ FUJI....

Personaly,..I think that folk should try and understand that 'we are all different',..and have walked a different path...It might not have been of our choosing,.or in any way right and proper by today's standards,.but,..back then,..it was the only way.... :yes:

Nowadays, I am legit,...I no longer have to freelance,.but,..my philosophy regarding the hunting game has not changed one iota,...and in short, when it comes to the chase,...... I want, what my dogs want from the hunt....and that is,..to catch the quarry,..whatever it might be...

Simples realy... :thumbs:

Edited by CHALKWARREN
  • Like 4

All pre ban of course Iam not against it every man too there own on what they want too do but for me yea I would of took them preban if I want one for the pot or a freind then yea but there not something that I would eat every day of the week so ud be lucky if i would of took 10 a year and iam not a type too go out during the day for one iam more of a lamping man then daytime and i still can't find a good recipe for hare for on the BBQ so there not on my dinner list

Soak meat overnight in saltwater,rinse and dice hare put in casserole dish with onions,carrots mushrooms,packet of colmans beef casserole mix,slow cook in oven about 6 hours simple and delicious
thx lad similar too what we do my gran also makes soup from them still need some thing for the BBQ though we usually make rabbit burgers and venison steaks and burgers sousages and ribs just can't find many dishes from hare cos we like too experiment

Never heard of anyone cooking a hare on a bbq,think slow cooking is the thing with this meat,though I do know some lads that spit roasted a whole hare one night when they we're out lamping,the little cavemen :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1

the pound coin is is stronger than respect and pre ban at five pound a go i killed them in the lamp nothing to do with right or wrong it was a way to keep the house hold going there some shite talked on here at times i bet half the people on here never ran a day and night dog or seen one if it was in the beam it was fair game same in the day time kick it up get it in the bag and that is how it went a means to a end in the real world running for sport different ball game but not for me. atb

That's the way it was Troter..to some of us who weren't born with a silver spoon in our mouths and had feck all but a Lurcher..it was a means of putting a few quid into the household income...80's and 90's was tough in this area,unemployment was the highest in the uk...it was survival and if it meant bouncing a "mythical" hare or two off a fence with a dazzler then so be it...some of you lot ain't had to live lol...no its not something I have done in recent years but I would never condemn a person for choosing to do it...it would be hypocritical to say the least and I bet there's plenty of those posted on this topic :-)

thats how it was for me and my brother in those days as well andy .ready market in them days for the rabbits a quid a piece ,hares a fiver each .out lamping on average 5 nights a week .but in those days there were hundreds of hares around our part of the world .and only a few lads lamping .different to these days.

• Like 4

What do people on here think of lamping hares ?

People who think its sport give yourselfs a shake for fxck sake. Get out in the daytime and if you cant catch them stick to your easy raddits, your only kidding yourselfs thinking your dog can catch a hare. A lad come with me at the end of dec with his little bitch what had being cleaning them up easy on the lamp last 6 it had run was all in the bag, anyway hare jumps 20 yards away and sure enough he drops her straight on about 2 min later bitch runs out of steam after never looking like catching it :whistling: If thats not proof in the pudding what is :laugh::thumbs:

• Like 1

People who think its sport give yourselfs a shake for fxck sake. Get out in the daytime and if you cant catch them stick to your easy raddits, your only kidding yourselfs thinking your dog can catch a hare. A lad come with me at the end of dec with his little bitch what had being cleaning them up easy on the lamp last 6 it had run was all in the bag, anyway hare jumps 20 yards away and sure enough he drops her straight on about 2 min later bitch runs out of steam after never looking like catching it :whistling: If thats not proof in the pudding what is :laugh::thumbs:

proves it is a lamp dog only thats all 6 in the bag not bad at all for two mins in the tank :laugh: atb

most daytime lads were more like coservationists regards old hartly . never wiping a place out of numbers and tipping their hat to a strong winter hare . it was genuinely weaker , older animals that were knocked over . its called respect.

most daytime lads were more like coservationists regards old hartly . never wiping a place out of numbers and tipping their hat to a strong winter hare . it was genuinely weaker , older animals that were knocked over . its called respect.

I'm sorry mate. I don't usually get involved in petty stuff on here but you can't say that all lamping lads wipe out their quarry. Maybe that's the case where you are but not everywhere.

This is coming from a guy who cut his season short by a month or so and stopped going out at the beginning of Feb because Ihe had one pregnant rabbit :thumbs: I think you call that respect for quarry mate. I could have carried on like some would :victory:

ATB

Sam

well done pal ,genuinely :yes: two seasons ago i stopped in the first week of feb :yes: as the dogs were doing there jobs easier . when they are off they are off. :victory: you give your side of the discussion well :yes: and i enjoy speaking to people like yourself :thumbs: but ,i must ask ,where did i say NO LAMPERS HAVE RESPECT FOR THE HARE :hmm::thumbs:

Thanks mate. Means a lot :victory: That's what this place is about! Not bitching and slagging off but good healthy discussion and understanding others points :thumbs:

I do believe that there is a good healthy balance of animals from mice to foxes and I try my best to keep a balance on my permissions and I hope that it's acknowledged and appreciated by the landowners and farmers. After all the right amount of all species can be of use to farmers and landowners.

Maybe I read it wrong but the first comment I'v quoted just seems like it insinuates that lampers and lads who hunt in different ways don't have respect.

ATB

Sam

proves it is a lamp dog only thats all 6 in the bag not bad at all for two mins in the tank :laugh: atb

It does but lad was thinking he had a good hare dog at the end of his slip, daytime proved different. The last six he had caught was other a few nights but even so she was not going to catch one without that lamp :whistling:

and what gives you the right to tell others what and how to hunt, this is what annoys me, if you are into coursing then best of luck to you, but don't bring down another man for what he does.

• Like 2