So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

My allotments are far too wet at the moment for doing anything. The people who had it before me put a land drain in, just a perforated plastic pipe but they dug it into the clay subsoil and then back filled with clay so it was pointless as the water just sits on the surface!! :censored:

My allotments are far too wet at the moment for doing anything. The people who had it before me put a land drain in, just a perforated plastic pipe but they dug it into the clay subsoil and then back filled with clay so it was pointless as the water just sits on the surface!! :censored:

same here no chance of getting on it at the moment bought me seed spuds yesterday. Kestrel and maris bard

I have seen pictures of it done on various gardening forums. But I all ways think of the chap next to me. He never rushes and his never first to plant any thing yet all ways gets the best crops and no later than any one else

• Like 3

Well, well, well. Down the allotment this afternoon to get some leeks for my faggots. Terryd will know what I'm on about. I walked on the garden in ordinary shoes and no clatch at all. I must be one of the luckiest gardeners in Britain. Even the weeds are being kind. None. All my muck distributed and all the shite from last years failures forgotten about. Come on Spring let's be having you. Ordered 100 Kelsie and a sit load of other bits and bobs.

• Like 1

I have the growing notes for the kelsie onion if anyone wants them? The first year I grew them, one reached 6lb and the average of the rest was 4lb. That said, all the seeds were from the same head, not thrown in to a barrel and you take pot luck what comes out. The point of growing Kelsie's is getting uniform shaped onions, weight does not really matter as long as the onions are a uniform shape and fairly large 3lb plus. but you can achieve that with Ailsa Craig.

TC

Edited by tiercel

that would be good tiercel if you dont mind ! im not growing them to show though just want large onions ,way back i had an uncle who grew for the show bench and every year i looked forward to visits and the all the various veg we used to get off him ,and remember the kelsae onions as having a sweet sweet mild taste that was very good raw (i do cheese and onion ;) and salads during the summer with a vengeance !) i remember once taking some into work "i used to work as a gardener for the local authority" and one old guy used to spend time during our breaks talking gardening with us ,he was in his 90's at the time ! he took one of the kelsae off me and went on his way ,didnt see him for quite a while and thought the worst had happened then on of his mates stopped one day and during the conversation said had we heard about old frank ?apparantly he had cleaned up in the onion section at the show with a massive kelsae !!!!!!!!!! "just as well he only had the one !!!! " he always said he would come clean but never did :D

same hear just way to wet, thinking of putting some of my onions sets in pots in the green house. and then transplant later do any of you do that. or do you think its a wast of time. be nice to know

i id it last year "im new to growing veg though" trying to get better results than the year before which was great for us ,and they all bolted ,that could be down to general conditions though as ive heard others had the same problems all over ! ,last season was crap for us virtually everything bolted or did not do ,hopefully this one will be better ,anyway getting back to starting sets early in modules "im not this year" but i do knows others do

that would be good tiercel if you dont mind ! im not growing them to show though just want large onions ,way back i had an uncle who grew for the show bench and every year i looked forward to visits and the all the various veg we used to get off him ,and remember the kelsae onions as having a sweet sweet mild taste that was very good raw (i do cheese and onion ;) and salads during the summer with a vengeance !) i remember once taking some into work "i used to work as a gardener for the local authority" and one old guy used to spend time during our breaks talking gardening with us ,he was in his 90's at the time ! he took one of the kelsae off me and went on his way ,didnt see him for quite a while and thought the worst had happened then on of his mates stopped one day and during the conversation said had we heard about old frank ?apparantly he had cleaned up in the onion section at the show with a massive kelsae !!!!!!!!!! "just as well he only had the one !!!! " he always said he would come clean but never did :D

I thought I had posted them on the thread before, here they are.

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/278305-so-tell-us-what-are-ye-all-at-in-the-veg-garden/page-78?do=findComment&comment=3818827

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/278305-so-tell-us-what-are-ye-all-at-in-the-veg-garden/page-78?do=findComment&comment=3818846

The growing spacings are for normal onions for the Kealse keep the about 15" apart.

The 6lb onion I grew, the local fruit and veg man in the market wanted to see it. So I took it down for him to see and he asked if he could put in on the stall for a week or two. till I needed it for a show. So I said no problem, about a week later I was walking past the stall and the onion was not there, so I asked where it was, he told me a pregnant customer of his had plagued him for it as she was craving it and he bloody gave it to her.

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 1

I LIKE THE IDEA OF USING BLACK AND WHITE POLY :thumbs: ive started the seeds in modules and growing them on in the house cool at the moment !do you think i should pot on into 3" bags once their a reasonable size and get them into an unheated GH or frame asap or keep with slight heat in house potted on ? were quite exposed here so and last frosts 2nd week of may

I LIKE THE IDEA OF USING BLACK AND WHITE POLY :thumbs: ive started the seeds in modules and growing them on in the house cool at the moment !do you think i should pot on into 3" bags once their a reasonable size and get them into an unheated GH or frame asap or keep with slight heat in house potted on ? were quite exposed here so and last frosts 2nd week of may

Personally I would get them in the green house. The chap I had the seeds off has his in a heated greenhouse under sodium lights 24hrs a day by May they were about 1.5" in diameter and over 2ft tall. The year I done mine he had one that was over 12lb. He grew for show and did not plant outside but grew them on in huge green house that would take around a hundred onions

When I done mine I had a little paraffin heater going in the green house and bubble wrapped the windows of the green house. That said it was a very cold January and February and the heat just kept them ticking over. In all I potted them on 4 times till they were in 5" pots containing 75% soil and 25% compost as soon as the roots reached the pots it was time to pot them on. I would be weary of keeping them in the house now because of the low light levels making them bolt.

If you put them in a cold green house get some fleece and be ready to cover them at any sign of frost. Or even pull them back into the house if it gets really cold.

TC

Edited by tiercel