So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

Oh dear Terryd. Shit on your parade I'm afraid. Was in the local on Sunday dinner and one of the subjects was the allotment. Two or three of us were moaning about not getting access to our communal rotovator due to security etc. Long story short, a guy who we know very well said why don't you have mine as I've never been able to start it. Flipping heck, I was there quicker than a quick thing and loaded it on the van. HOWEVER. On getting it home I must admit there one or two problems. An hour later, brm, brm, brm. What a darling. 3 years ago it cost the buyer £1000.00. The guy who I got it from paid £300.00. And he gave it to me. Now I know it's not the prettiest thing but :on't half take a lot of backache out of the equation. I might even give it a coat of tlc.It's a Maxtra 6.5. I'm more than happy. Incidentally , all I had to get was a pull chord and throttle cable which had rusted in the outer cable.

• Like 2

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Nice one Jok quite modern that. I will still turn over by hand as it easy once the plot is in order then rotavate to get it fine. Its knocking the lumps out that takes the effort so a handy thing to have. Going to give mine a whirl tonight for the first time. Looking forward to it

• Like 1

A little tip before you use a Rotavator on the ground, make doubly sure you have got all the perennial weeds Bind weed, dandelions, mares tail etc; out of the ground. One chap on our allotments had a patch of mares tail in one corner of his plot. He rotavated it and he had it all over the plot.

As a bye Terry is that a Merry Tiller with the Briggs and Stratten engine?

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2

Well to you both. My pet hate is ANY weed. Particularly, nettle, dandelion, dock, buttercup and in fact anything with a tap or good root system. Before rotovating I always remove. It would drive me nuts thinking the little beggars were still in there. With the 'new' rotovator I've just had nearly 4 hours work and we're looking pretty good. Ground is cold as hell so just going to wait a little while longer before planting anything.

Sorry. Must be said. This thing is a beast. Talk about pull you about?? I had to literally work it from left to right all the way and still the mother wanted to go deeper. The 6.5 HPR certainly has advantages but it's hard work. A few of the lads are asking for a borrow but we all know what happens then. (Your machine, you fix it).

A little tip before you use a Rotavator on the ground, make doubly sure you have got all the perennial weeds Bind weed, dandelions, mares tail etc; out of the ground. One chap on our allotments had a patch of mares tail in one corner of his plot. He rotavated it and he had it all over the plot.

As a bye Terry is that a Merry Tiller with the Briggs and Stratten engine?

TC

Its a nortlett 5000 Allan with a briggs. I have a lawn mower with a briggs and after not being started for over 2 years 4 th pull away she went

Edited by terryd
  • Like 1

parts may be an issue but i have seen belts on ebay apparently it even pulls various accessories like a little tractor lol

Maybe you can set up some kind of chariot for it to tow lol

• Like 2