So, Tell Us, What Are Ye All At In The Veg Garden?

My toms went black and rotten at the bottom of the fruit ,me mum said that was overwatering?

had carrier bag of runners an a marrow today ,

Last week put 5 short rows of spuds in and some turnips and kale seedlings.

When tomatoes, peppers, melons, and eggplant develop a sunken, rotten spot on the end of the fruit, the cause came long before you found the problem. Its called blossom end rot, and here is why it happens.

Vegetables need calcium for healthy development. When tomatoes, peppers, melons, and eggplant cant get enough from the soil, the tissues on the blossom end of the fruit break down. The calcium shortage may be because the soil lacks calcium, or calcium is present but is tied up in the soil chemistry because the pH is too low. Also, drought stress or moisture fluctuations can reduce its uptake into the plant. Another reason is that too much fertilizer causes the plant to grow so fast that the calcium cant move into the plant quickly enough.

The best way to get around all this:

green-tomato-end-rot-225x300.jpg

Unripe tomatoes can develop blossom-end rot, too.

Start now by testing the soil. Although most vegetables do well with a soil pH of 6.2 to 6.8, for those with blossom-end the pH should be 6.5 to 6.8 to free more calcium in the soil chemistry. Test results will indicate the amount of lime to add. Even better, lime also contains calcium. Work the lime into the top 12 inches of soil. Use a lime labeled fast-acting, which is better than ground limestone unless you have weeks to wait for the lime to react in the soil. If the pH is already correct, the soil test will recommend a different calcium source, such as gypsum. Also, add crumbled egg shells to your compost or bury them in your garden over time to help maintain the calcium levels.

Dont over-fertilize. Too much nitrogen during early fruiting, especially with nitrogen made from ammonia, ties up calcium in the soil chemistry.

Avoid moisture stress. Use mulch to keep the soil evenly moist. Vegetables need about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water a week while fruiting. The best way to water tomatoes planted in the ground is with a soaker hose. In hot climates it is especially tricky to keep big tomato plants in pots watered well during the summer. Make sure to water them daily or set them up on a drip system with a timer.

As a stop-gap measure, spray tomato plants with a calcium solution made for blossom-end rot. Follow label directions. Apply two to three times a week, beginning when the first blooms appear. This is not a long-term fix, but it may salvage your crop until you can take the steps mentioned above. The spray seems to work better on tomatoes than other vegetables.

Thanks darbo these were in black buckets in compost in greenhouse,but yes it was probably something what I done wrong there's only 3 plants . I will rip them out as can't see them being any good .

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Few pics of some bits.  

Picked what I could salvage of the green toms for some chutney better than wasting them tonight.     Not impressed with me cabbage     few bits for dinner. Bean are delicious at the mo

Had an hour on the plots today dug first spuds ( not the best but sure they be tasty, pulled a few beets to culled a cross bread pigeon from my loft , while we was there I swapped some eggs for a turn

Posted Images

Raspberries keep coming well chuffed only a few at a time but they mount up. Should be really good next year

21900562282_81956ffb75_c.jpg

Might have jumped the gun but got me garlic and broad beans in. Picked the best of the bulbs as I had some nice ones this year

21291716183_0b9080d7b0_c.jpg

21922584601_195d1f54f8_c.jpg

21912772205_7a8fb5c4f1_c.jpg

pulled the netting back and did some weeding. Lots going on under there

swedes not as good as last year but hopefully they will fill out

21724876658_7e9f8ca176_c.jpg

21291548333_6a39701ea4_c.jpg

21725728829_ea593648b9_c.jpg

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much going on at the moment just put some cardboard down around me raspberries and popped in a row of onions no great loss if the don't work out but nice to have things in. Just a bit of harvesting. Got the first of the sprouts my youngest loves them so she is happy. Will fry with a bit of bacon tomorrow to go with dinner

22248298795_e80607305a_c.jpg

• Like 2

Nice leek and potatoe soup mate with them fresh ones.

Nice leek and potatoe soup mate with them fresh ones.

Yea I use my soup maker chuck it in and 20 minutes done very handy nice too as you say.

Best sprouts so far this year nice tight and round very tasty too. No idea of the variety though which is typical :lol:

22275473960_102597dba7_c.jpg

broad beans are up and away

22276655459_02abce63a8_c.jpg

few pickings also had carrots and the raspberries are still coming

22463501935_5e3e15b995_c.jpg

• Like 1

Why the egg shells with the broad beans? Today dug all my spuds and by gum am suffering from it. This bottle on the table is helping a lot and if youv@e not already guessed it's a single malt I am totally shocked to realise that, like my onions, the leeks have been hammered by that little brown b*****d. Every fricking plant has it and there ain't now't you can do. The insides are soft as mush and inedible. As someone mentioned earlier the Cabbage White has done it's usual damage but on the plus side everything else came through virtually unscathed. Can't deny that the potato, Picasso, is an absolute winner. Uniform size and which ever way cooked is tremendous. Managed at last to grow some parsnip and was given a recipe which is totally mind blowing. Who would have thought that parsnip and apple would make a great soup? T be fair, for this year that's about all I have to offer, so, happy days all you guys and girls.

• Like 1