the Best, Worst, Stangest Pub You've Been In ?

In August this year a pal and I travelled over to a breeder of hawks in south Wales...... which was an ordeal in itself, but that's another story.......and we stayed in a great little village called Trehafod, I think, in a pub called The Bertie. We arrived late, about 10 pm, so things were already in full swing with some local girl with a beautiful voice singing classic pop songs from the last three decades. We had a good drink, a deep sleep and a great breakfast before leaving by 8:30 a.m. to complete the last few miles to do our business but such was the friendly welcome and service that we both came away with the sense of regret that we couldn't have spent a full weekend there. If you ever find yourself in the Rhondda with nowhere to stay, check out The Bertie and tell them the two drunken Belfastards recommended them!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have drank in bars all over the world from bush bars in the congo to Bars in Norway ....the Norwegians are the worst drunks anywher by far they cant handle there drink no wonder at £8 a pint ...but

when i was about 14/15 (late 80s) we were trying to get into a 21 pub in Richmond, the bouncer was all like "you lads don't want to come in here" But we just thought he was just questioning our age

I was over in Ireland with the dogs a couple of years ago, Ballycommon, County Offaly. I was in this pub in the middle of nowhere, and asked the lady owner "what's the best Irish whiskey" ? She leant

There's a pub in chesterfield called the welbeck whent there a few years ago there'd be lads bouncing in there chairs surgical scars all over there heads the land lord was crying whilst pulling a pint I asked him wat was up he said his girl had just died in a crash I said close the pub mate go home he just started laughing went there the next day to find out he was a compulsive liar and the locals call it the Star Wars bar (the one where Luke meets Han Solo ) crazy place

• Like 1

There's a cracking little bar in Falstone Village called "The Blackcock"; we call it the "Dirty Dick" ! LOL ! the village sits in the shaddow of Keilder Dam, and the pub is a proper country pub; log fire, dog friendly, good craic with the local farmers and poachers; well worth a look in if you are in the area.

Cheers.

Drank in a pub at scarbrough but cant remember its name had all football shirts pinned to the wall and an african grey in a cage at the bar , feck me felt like i needed a shower when i came out , must of had 50 years of nicotine on the walls and never been decorated , but what a night :laugh:

There used to be a pub near me, it had no running water or toilets for years. It was run by two brothers and was a famous pub for late night drinking and lads would go out to the pub from the city after closing time and drink away there all night.

By the time I was drinking the pub had toilets and running water but that was about the only luxury in the place apart from a framed copy of the 1916 Proclomation on the wall. Lads that drank there for years told me that before they had the toilets and running water you had to go out into the field at the back of the pub to go to the toilet and they had an old bathtub full of water behind the bar for cleaning the glasses. Needless to say the water in the bath wouldn't be the cleanest and one of the brothers was heard telling the dog one night not to drink from the water in the bath as it was dirty. Or so the story goes?

Seemingly the pub was on the border of two Garda districts and they thought it was in the others district so they rarely got raided.

It was a great pub to drink in and there was some craic to be had there. They were different times.

There was a boozer in Tilbury called " The Ship".....they had a centre page spread in the sun with the headline " we are the hardest pub in Britain " and a picture of a load of half wits trying to look the part.

Day after the paper came out there were coach loads of lads arriving from all over the shop and sending these plums to casualty 2 or 3 times a day......the boozer was shut within the month and now it's a post office ! Lol lol lol.........maybe it's the hardest post office in Britain now!! Lol lol

• Like 2

i almost forgot about my old local the bilston inn, always a lurcher and terrier at the fire it was a speical place whare the smoking ban didnt come into force and you could smoke whatever you want, great place with some craic what things went on in there it was a community lol :laugh:

The bulls head and the Pomona in gorton. The two roughest pubs I've been in without a shadow of a dought. I'm glad I knew people when I went lol!

Now Gorton is a rough place :laugh:

Anywhere else the swimming pool would be called a "spa" or a "lido". In Gorton it's called "The Gorton Tub" :laugh: