the Best, Worst, Stangest Pub You've Been In ?

Sitting here having a beer, I got to wondering about the pubs I'd been in around the world. Out of them all, I think the best and strangest has to be a bar I found in New Zealand. I was staying in a little town called Tokaroa, in the middle of the North Island. It used to be a wood mill town, but the mill had closed down, and frankly it reminded me of England in the 50's ! I used to walk from the suburbs into town every morning to buy a pint of milk and a three day old Daily Mirror. On morning I noticed people going into a pub, at about 8 o'clock in the morning! Of course I had to have a look and went in. There was Bushmen in oilskins and wellies, local drunks in barefeet and Maori's in shorts and singlets !! So I did look a wee bit out of place ! I went up to the bar and there stood the biggest, meanest looking Maori behind the bar; he was huge, made Jonah Lumu look like a wimp ! He wouldn't have been out of place in the movie "Once Were Warriors"; all tribal tattoos and muscles !! Now back then I reckoned I could handle myself, but I have to admit my "chocolate starfish" was pulsating ! LOL ! He said "Your not from round here, what do you want? " I said "a pint of Lion Red and a bacon sarrny, for my breakfast" ! We stared at each other for what semed ages, but was only a second or two, and he laughed and served me ! When he found out that I was there for a bit pig hunting, drinking and relaxing, we got on great, and I went every morning for my "breakfast" !! Been to a lot of other "strange" pubs around the world, but the "Blue Lagoon" in NZ will allways make me smile !!

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have drank in bars all over the world from bush bars in the congo to Bars in Norway ....the Norwegians are the worst drunks anywher by far they cant handle there drink no wonder at £8 a pint ...but

when i was about 14/15 (late 80s) we were trying to get into a 21 pub in Richmond, the bouncer was all like "you lads don't want to come in here" But we just thought he was just questioning our age

I was over in Ireland with the dogs a couple of years ago, Ballycommon, County Offaly. I was in this pub in the middle of nowhere, and asked the lady owner "what's the best Irish whiskey" ? She leant

you need to learn how to spell pub................lol

went to a pub in london went to the toilet and heard some party going on so got a few lads i was working with to take a look and we walked in to a dark room full of teeth and bling................we were loving it until one pair of teeth walked up and told us we werent welcome ...............i suppose that was a strange old place ..................i certainly wouldnt of walked in there sober................we were a little out numbered so we kindly obliged..............

weird music aswell................and they were all dancing like puppets on string..............british africans for you........lol

the penny black in edinburgh opened at 5am met some interesting charecters in there, if your face didnt fit you didnt get in great place to wait on the buses starting again :D

Know afew like that , if your face dont fit , theyll change it for you :laugh:

• Like 1

The Phoenix in Broughton St in Edinburgh opened at stupid o'clock as well. I was going fishing one morning and walked past about 5.30 ish and there were guys outside banging on the door to get in....dunno if they were out late or starting early!

There are a few others, the Old Salt, used to close for an hour a day for cleaning, everybody got emptied out onto Leith walk and stood about till it opened again!!

Jaynes as well, used to pass that on my way to work....kareoke going full swing at 06:30, people on tables etc......

Worst one I've been in is the Sackville Lounge, on the north side of the liffy, its got the most mingin toilet in the world......my mates took me there, great pint of Guiness, but when you go down the stairs to the bog.....boooakkk, never seen anything like it....stuff growing out the walls and everything...boggin.

My local is full to the neck of loonies myself included... I wont give any names or locations but its an epic little establishment... 3euro a pint/shot/alcopop 1 day a week, Weed in abundance... And full to the neck with farmers, potheads and some ex mental patients... and carnies, dubs, cork/limerick men.. A druid and regular nudity of the disturbing kind... And of a weekend the place fills up with teenagers unfortunately.

Theres always good craic but according to some outsiders its a rough place... They are afraid to drink there :laugh:

My local is full to the neck of loonies myself included... I wont give any names or locations but its an epic little establishment... 3euro a pint... Weed in abundance... And full to the neck with farmers, potheads and some ex mental patients... and carnies, dubs, cork/limerick men.. A druid and regular nudity of the disturbing kind... And of a weekend the place fills up with teenagers

Sounds like you live in Doncaster :laugh: .
  • Like 1

My local is full to the neck of loonies myself included... I wont give any names or locations but its an epic little establishment... 3euro a pint... Weed in abundance... And full to the neck with farmers, potheads and some ex mental patients... and carnies, dubs, cork/limerick men.. A druid and regular nudity of the disturbing kind... And of a weekend the place fills up with teenagers

Sounds like you live in Doncaster :laugh: .

:laugh: in rural ireland most pubs are the kind of place where they look at you like you have 2 heads if you are not a local

There used to be a place in holbeach lincs called the station inn was a bit of a shithole that i was a regular drunk in... apart from the usual bar fights i remember a guy walking up to the bar and asking for a meathook which after a quite odd conversation the proprietor provided... The guy in question then proceeded to pierce his genitalia with the meathook and walk around the bar showing this off... And it was a weekday lol

the penny black in edinburgh opened at 5am met some interesting charecters in there, if your face didnt fit you didnt get in great place to wait on the buses starting again :D

So youve been in the ukranian club bottom of becket road then :laugh:

Theres a little pub in Beckholes on the North York Moors not far from Gotheland, its the smallest, [holds about 6] scruffyest place iv ever supped in and its great :laugh: , i dont feel comfy in these modern blingy type joints, happy christmas everybody, buster.

Had afew in there , like sitting in someones front room

So youve been in the ukranian club bottom of becket road then :laugh:

Ukarians posh compared to the old castle :laugh: