English Bull Terriers

That's awesome! We always have our youngest with us when we go start up pups. She's their cheerleader! She's already got her first pair of boots, and gets out there and tries to handle the dogs already, lol and she's only 2! Has she gone out in the woods yet with ya?

Nice hog by the way.....you ever have any scored for fun?

Edited by WorkingBullandTerrier

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a couple of pics, too many, sorry. i owned the brindle bitch. The white dog is my brothers, thunder rock bred and everything a bullie shod be. Both were 100% driven and capable. I know the breed

Without wishing to offend..........why would somebody called " working bull and terrier " be so bothered about " a straighter profile " and importing one " that looks like those " and be calling dogs

Posted this before in another section i know, but here's an e.b.t. x i owned close to thirty years ago now...an absolute b*****d of a dog. I've been around all of the bull and terrier types over the y

Posted Images

You ARE an ass Doc. That doesn't necessarily make you a bad guy. And I didn't say your pup looked sorry.... just fat which surprises the hell out of me because you DO hunt. I don't know EBT or her husband.. My guess is they do hunt. People do not usually keep feral hogs unless they either hunt, or like working the pen for points. In either case it doesn't amount to a hill of beans in my book. I don't know the Jones or their dogs. Never even spoke to em. But if I did I'd be civil and keep my wallet in my pocket. EBT ain't selling nothing. Conversations are free and we're all adults here.

jawn-Its BECAUSE we are adults that we should be able to make a statement/ask a question, without dancing around or suger coating. If you reread my first post to her you will see I was giving her advice on how to keep folks from questioning her. It was other folks who were the ones questioning. In every post I have said I dont know if she does or doesnt hunt, but she gives the impression that she is just another pretender. I actually have an EBT that I want to see worked...whats your stake in the conversation? Are you looking to add some to your Jagds?

You call me an Ass and the internet police...does that make you Mr. Congeniality? I think if Im gonna be the Sherrif, from now on I will just call you Barney...

Take care.

391610_250783731710805_1041814799_n.jpg

• Like 1

She goes out with me all the time. I can't bring myself to hog hunt with her yet. But I'm getting older and am probably way too careful. She likes hunting whatever. We usually stick to rabbits or coon. Another couple of years and she'll be ready for whatever.lol

Doc I couldn't care less what you call me or yourself.lol

Like I said... I ain't mad at you. If you want to jump everytime someone starts talking about dogs, and interrigate the hell out of em... I'm cool with that. Strange way to pass the time though chief.

I enjoy reading the different forms of hunting the Americans do,and the way they are spoilt with variety.They are also good at cross breeding to suit there hunting style.It is great to see the white bulls doing a bit and people interested in trying to make them better.My own experiences with white bulls goes back many years(I was always a staff man)we tried them in shores,one or two were mediocre most were useless.Seen a few at trials they lifted the ground barking,we tried them at the end of digs they done a lot of barking there as well.We first used them over forty years ago and in our opinion they were no good even then.For mooching or rabbits ok,but for the hardball he was not game enough.The dogs i seen on here look well it will be interesting to see how they get on hunting other stuff with the Americans.

• Like 2

She goes out with me all the time. I can't bring myself to hog hunt with her yet. But I'm getting older and am probably way too careful. She likes hunting whatever. We usually stick to rabbits or coon. Another couple of years and she'll be ready for whatever.lol

Doc I couldn't care less what you call me or yourself.lol

Like I said... I ain't mad at you. If you want to jump everytime someone starts talking about dogs, and interrigate the hell out of em... I'm cool with that. Strange way to pass the time though chief.

That's great. Yeah I know where you are coming from, there is that 'danger' factor with the hogs, big time. I have a bad back, so when I go, I'm a bit slower than others, and that element of 'what ifs' always weighs heavy. I'm not as quick as I'd like to be at times.

I enjoy reading the different forms of hunting the Americans do,and the way they are spoilt with variety.They are also good at cross breeding to suit there hunting style.It is great to see the white bulls doing a bit and people interested in trying to make them better.My own experiences with white bulls goes back many years(I was always a staff man)we tried them in shores,one or two were mediocre most were useless.Seen a few at trials they lifted the ground barking,we tried them at the end of digs they done a lot of barking there as well.We first used them over forty years ago and in our opinion they were no good even then.For mooching or rabbits ok,but for the hardball he was not game enough.The dogs i seen on here look well it will be interesting to see how they get on hunting other stuff with the Americans.

Edited by bulljack
  • Like 1

I'm curious about the breathing part WBT mentions. I've seen a few others use them as catch dogs. Never thought of it untill she mentioned it.

THAT right there is why I was talking of getting them back to the straighter profiles......when their noses/nostrils are curved DOWNward, they get completely blocked off when they are in hold, making them mouth breathe, which can shorten the time they can stay in hold without turning purple lol. With the straighter profile, their noses/nostrils are not completely blocked off.....

Edited by WorkingBullandTerrier

I've seen em take an ear and hold on. But I wasn't looking at it from that perspective. It makes perfect sense though. I have seen in Australia where they cross them up with good results Bulljack mentions. Might be kind of cool to see what you could get out of one bred with an eye on actually using the dog.

never seen a good one myself liam like you say they just made to much noise, but the 1/4 bred dog in the pic was a different story he was given to my father and he gave the dog a chance and he worked very well.

Was he 3/4 wheaten terrier?

THAT right there is why I was talking of getting them back to the straighter profiles......when their noses/nostrils are curved DOWNward, they get completely blocked off when they are in hold, making them mouth breathe, which can shorten the time they can stay in hold without turning purple lol. With the straighter profile, their noses/nostrils are not completely blocked off.....

Must admit im not too familiar with the whole hog thing so forgive my ignorance.......i cant quite see how this curved nose thing works i mean i understand the theory but does the dog just grab a hold and hang on ?....does the dog not work the hold ? would he not swap it for a better one ?......surely only if the dog is literally hanging on nose deep in one place without moving will the breathing thing be a factor.

Edited by gnasher16

this has been a good thread. many many moons ago i was involved with a man, who i believe was the first to have a crack at re creating the e.b.t. to what it once LOOKED like. i owned a dog out of his breeding, also got to see most of his stuff and others, and to be honest as a WORKING animal i would'nt give you two bob for one. this is just my oppinion, each to his own and all that. i would be even less likely to get one if, like some involved in this post, lived in the u.s.a. home to the very finest of working bull and terrier types...like i say J.M.H.O....

Yokel.

I guess it's just about trying something different Yokel. I considered it a few years ago right about the time the one good one I knew of got killed by a hog. I did some asking around, even with some show types. I eventually spoke with the president of a club in Dallas. She was a sweet old lady in her eighties. She said to me, "son.... I know what your thinking. You think I don't want to reccomend one of these dogs because it might get hurt, or worse." Then she told be that she grew up hunting and that these dogs just wouldn't be happy doing what I wanted them to do. Said they liked to lay on the couch..lol

Needless to say I abandoned the search. I haven't ever been to a dog show in my life. I guess I just couldn't immagine a bull dog that wouldn't at least grab a hog. I mean sure plenty won't cut it as workers, but I was surprised at what she told me. I don't know why anyone else decides to try them. Judging by some of the photos here they certainly look more than capable. If I had the chance to take one from proven working stock I probably would. Right now I use a drahthaar for a catch dog. It would be cool to see a breed saved from what that old lady in Dallas described.

Gnasher I can see where the exagerated features bred for could be a problem. I know I like the idea of a dog especially a single catch dog grabbing and hanging on for dear life. The ones I saw earlier in the thread looked more athletic and better suited for work. Seems EBT is the one to best answer the question.