English Bull Terriers

THAT right there is why I was talking of getting them back to the straighter profiles......when their noses/nostrils are curved DOWNward, they get completely blocked off when they are in hold, making them mouth breathe, which can shorten the time they can stay in hold without turning purple lol. With the straighter profile, their noses/nostrils are not completely blocked off.....

Must admit im not too familiar with the whole hog thing so forgive my ignorance.......i cant quite see how this curved nose thing works i mean i understand the theory but does the dog just grab a hold and hang on ?....does the dog not work the hold ? would he not swap it for a better one ?......surely only if the dog is literally hanging on nose deep in one place without moving will the breathing thing be a factor.

They typically get right in there and grab a hold and hang on. USUALLY they'll grab an ear/side of the head, I have seen hard headed bulldogs grab the face/snout. I don't want a catch dog that 'fights' the hog, I need one that grabs and STAYS in hold, until I break him off. You wouldn't want your catch dog swapping holds if he didn't HAVE to, because when you're getting in there to leg/flip/stick that hog, you don't want your catch dog letting go for even a split second, because that can mean your about to get gored by a angry hog that is now 'loose.' That's why I don't want my BT's head structure to be so exxagerated and curved down as I explained in an earlier post. I want clear air ways so he can breathe easily while in hold. I do have an Am Bull that catches, and we have plenty of APBT's that catch and do the job well....but in this case I admire the determination and drive and intensity of our BT's, therefore they will be used to catch. The more I can do with these dogs the better in my eyes. The ones here don't bark at all when they are sent on game....they go right to it, and that's it. Now if they see game and you are holding them back, they will bark/scream out of frusteration, but once you turn em out, you don't hear anything.

• Like 2

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a couple of pics, too many, sorry. i owned the brindle bitch. The white dog is my brothers, thunder rock bred and everything a bullie shod be. Both were 100% driven and capable. I know the breed

Without wishing to offend..........why would somebody called " working bull and terrier " be so bothered about " a straighter profile " and importing one " that looks like those " and be calling dogs

Posted this before in another section i know, but here's an e.b.t. x i owned close to thirty years ago now...an absolute b*****d of a dog. I've been around all of the bull and terrier types over the y

Posted Images

She goes out with me all the time. I can't bring myself to hog hunt with her yet. But I'm getting older and am probably way too careful. She likes hunting whatever. We usually stick to rabbits or coon. Another couple of years and she'll be ready for whatever.lol

Doc I couldn't care less what you call me or yourself.lol

Like I said... I ain't mad at you. If you want to jump everytime someone starts talking about dogs, and interrigate the hell out of em... I'm cool with that. Strange way to pass the time though chief.

Barney...all kidding aside, its great to see your gettin the youngins involved!

Take care.

I'm curious about the breathing part WBT mentions. I've seen a few others use them as catch dogs. Never thought of it untill she mentioned it.

THAT right there is why I was talking of getting them back to the straighter profiles......when their noses/nostrils are curved DOWNward, they get completely blocked off when they are in hold, making them mouth breathe, which can shorten the time they can stay in hold without turning purple lol. With the straighter profile, their noses/nostrils are not completely blocked off.....

WTB-In your expierience, how extreme does the EBT curve have to be to impair its breathing? Have the undershot dogs been better for catching, since their noses are farther away when they bite?

Take care.

I'm curious about the breathing part WBT mentions. I've seen a few others use them as catch dogs. Never thought of it untill she mentioned it.

WTB-In your expierience, how extreme does the EBT curve have to be to impair its breathing? Have the undershot dogs been better for catching, since their noses are farther away when they bite?

Take care.

Well I'd consider my male on the 'milder' scale of egg headed for a 'modern' bred BT, but his curve is enough to hinder him. Even when he drinks water. I'll post up a profile shot of my husband's male, to compare to my male. My husband's male's profile is much preferred.

My husband's:

100_3633_zps3911ff04.jpg

Mine:

100_3267.jpg

Another shot of mine:

100_3269.jpg

Wbt,

Your hubby is lucky.

Seen some great dogs on this thread.

If I remember right, wasn't champion Stormer 1/2 EBT?

For some reason, seems anything crossed into EBT produces super hybrid vigor.

Does not surprise me that there are working EBT'S that need work on their "work". That being stated, they were bred to be show dogs. Have a friend in the northeast who is breeding "hard" EBT's (man stoppers). To me, that's the beauty of the bull and terriers. The good ones will do whatever it takes to please their master.

Great thoughts and info on this thread.

Yfis,

D

• Like 2

Wbt,

Your hubby is lucky.

Does not surprise me that there are working EBT'S that need work on their "work". That being stated, they were bred to be show dogs. Have a friend in the northeast who is breeding "hard" EBT's (man stoppers). To me, that's the beauty of the bull and terriers. The good ones will do whatever it takes to please their master.

Yfis,

D

• Like 1

Wbt,

Your hubby is lucky.

Yfis,

D

Thank you.

I have noticed that alot of folks do use them in bite work. Kinda suprised me actually as with how stubborn and hard headed they are. Yeah, the 'modern' BT has indeed been watered down by the show culture. Yet having handled various bull and terrier breeds, I see such high potential and heart out of the BT's we feed here, I feel like I would be doing them an injustice NOT to put them to work. It's just something I am passionate about putting time into on the side. So far so good....

It was speculated that Mr. Walter Komosinski crossed BT into his APBT's in his time, and produced some impressive specimens...for example, this dog below:

http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com/modules.php?name=Public&file=printPedigree&dog_id=379494

Edited by WorkingBullandTerrier

There is just no need to prove whether you work your dogs or not. I hate that it is popular to question folks on it. If your going to spend money on it, sure, question a bit. This lady has been plenty tough and kept her cool better than i did with Doc's shit slinging. I hate that stuff.

As Jawn said and other sources i trust have verified, these questioners hunt. I like their posts from time to time and even agree on occasion. But I stinking can't stand their bullshit questions; acting as if they're trying to prove something. All it is is pissing down someone else's back and ya'll are calling it rain. You all don't breed wonder dogs. I know it. I've worked with dogs off your breeding plans Doc! I know what I'm talking about and you can't call shit on that. I have seen.

Let people breed or say whatever they want. You're not looking to buy and they're not looking to sell. Nothing is proved but that your little club of slanderers is going strong and you can't keep your minds on your own yards. Alot of hunters worth their salt have stopped sharing opinions because you guys jump on em. Stuntman, I like you man but what the hell? I liked Doc too til this time last year. I never paid attention to the BS til then.

I think the lady who's gettin Stuntman and Doc's stink, should be informed that these guys are repeat offenders on this sort of thing and Jawn isn't just jumping them for no reason. They know what they're implying and that it's exactly how it sounds. Don't sugar coat it. Very soon there won't be a dogman that will deal with you fellas.

• Like 1

By the way. I actually hit the limit on how many likes I can put down for a day liking all the pics. Sorry that I am part of ruining a great thread. Everybody likes a different dog and I fully understand the urge to re-glorify a dying working breed. I've spent a time or two contemplating airedales and all. Variety is the spice of life.

Stuntman'll varify. His little den dogs that bolt their quarry are as useful to him as my bigger mixers are to me.

Edited by Mosby
  • Like 1

There is just no need to prove whether you work your dogs or not. I hate that it is popular to question folks on it. If your going to spend money on it, sure, question a bit. This lady has been plenty tough and kept her cool better than i did with Doc's shit slinging. I hate that stuff.

As Jawn said and other sources i trust have verified, these questioners hunt. I like their posts from time to time and even agree on occasion. But I stinking can't stand their bullshit questions; acting as if they're trying to prove something. All it is is pissing down someone else's back and ya'll are calling it rain. You all don't breed wonder dogs. I know it. I've worked with dogs off your breeding plans Doc! I know what I'm talking about and you can't call shit on that. I have seen.

Let people breed or say whatever they want. You're not looking to buy and they're not looking to sell. Nothing is proved but that your little club of slanderers is going strong and you can't keep your minds on your own yards. Alot of hunters worth their salt have stopped sharing opinions because you guys jump on em. Stuntman, I like you man but what the hell? I liked Doc too til this time last year. I never paid attention to the BS til then.

I think the lady who's gettin Stuntman and Doc's stink, should be informed that these guys are repeat offenders on this sort of thing and Jawn isn't just jumping them for no reason. They know what they're implying and that it's exactly how it sounds. Don't sugar coat it. Very soon there won't be a dogman that will deal with you fellas.

I kind of figured that after I did some post researching, lol. No worries here. I can dish it right back ;-p For every couple 'gum flappers' around, I have met and conversated with at least a good handfull of really great dog folks that I am glad to have met!

Funny you mention the Airdales....I just saw an ad in Bayed Solid from a fella in Georgia advertising some off of working hog dog stock!

Mosby-Are your lil feelers still hurt? Geez, I woulda thought you were over it by now. I guess I have to tell you again "You will have to toughen up, smarten up, or give up"

If you hate the way I operate so much, how come you keep ending up in the middle of it?

Which one of my questions was bullshit?

If any hunters dont post because of me, they must not be much to start with, IMO. If I have prevented a few bullshitters from posting their theories, lies, sales pitches etc...or kept a few name droppers and book regurgitators from posting, well that suits me fine. The WWW is already full of that kind, and I doubt anyone will miss em all that much.

Who said I breed wonder dogs? Not me...we are a month into the season and I have already culled two.

You worked with dogs off my breeding plans? Which ones? I know you bred from dogs I would have culled...are those the ones your talkin about?

I guess I will never understand why someone would be so offended when asked questions they should be able to answer easily...I have an idea, but its probably just me being an ass. :icon_redface:

Take care.

I kind of figured that after I did some post researching, lol. No worries here. I can dish it right back ;-p For every couple 'gum flappers' around, I have met and conversated with at least a good handfull of really great dog folks that I am glad to have met!

Funny you mention the Airdales....I just saw an ad in Bayed Solid from a fella in Georgia advertising some off of working hog dog stock!

WBT-Now thats the spirit. The WWW is perfect for sorting thru alot of folks to find the ones you would really want to deal with. I have met some real crackers and some real dip shits on the WWW, and most showed me which they were when a disagreement broke out.

Take care.