English Bull Terriers

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

heres a couple of pics, too many, sorry. i owned the brindle bitch. The white dog is my brothers, thunder rock bred and everything a bullie shod be. Both were 100% driven and capable. I know the breed

Without wishing to offend..........why would somebody called " working bull and terrier " be so bothered about " a straighter profile " and importing one " that looks like those " and be calling dogs

Posted this before in another section i know, but here's an e.b.t. x i owned close to thirty years ago now...an absolute b*****d of a dog. I've been around all of the bull and terrier types over the y

Posted Images

Your a sad little man stunt. I bet I hunt more in the average week than you do in a month. But your right about one thing... I do allot of walking after my dogs. As for the bulldogs... those days are long gone. I like remembering them from time to time.

Not this time. She's been beat up plenty by hogs though. She got hung up in a barbwire fence chasing after a coyote. Her partner in crime got jumped and she tried to give chase and got herself stuck pretty good. When I got to her she was a mess, and after I freed her she took off after it again. I had to call he back in with the e-collar or she would have hunted all night. I was worried about infection so I loaded them up and called it a night. I have a great vet.. but she wasn't able to close her up all the way. So now she's got a cushy place in the house for the next couple of weeks. She's a great dog. It's an honor to hunt her, but she's getting old now. The next year or two will see her number come up less often. I don't know how she's made it this long. I couldn't ask for a better pup trainer. Sorry about jumping all over your thread.

THAT right there is why I was talking of getting them back to the straighter profiles......when their noses/nostrils are curved DOWNward, they get completely blocked off when they are in hold, making them mouth breathe, which can shorten the time they can stay in hold without turning purple lol. With the straighter profile, their noses/nostrils are not completely blocked off.....

Must admit im not too familiar with the whole hog thing so forgive my ignorance.......i cant quite see how this curved nose thing works i mean i understand the theory but does the dog just grab a hold and hang on ?....does the dog not work the hold ? would he not swap it for a better one ?......surely only if the dog is literally hanging on nose deep in one place without moving will the breathing thing be a factor.

They typically get right in there and grab a hold and hang on. USUALLY they'll grab an ear/side of the head, I have seen hard headed bulldogs grab the face/snout. I don't want a catch dog that 'fights' the hog, I need one that grabs and STAYS in hold, until I break him off. You wouldn't want your catch dog swapping holds if he didn't HAVE to, because when you're getting in there to leg/flip/stick that hog, you don't want your catch dog letting go for even a split second, because that can mean your about to get gored by a angry hog that is now 'loose.' That's why I don't want my BT's head structure to be so exxagerated and curved down as I explained in an earlier post. I want clear air ways so he can breathe easily while in hold. I do have an Am Bull that catches, and we have plenty of APBT's that catch and do the job well....but in this case I admire the determination and drive and intensity of our BT's, therefore they will be used to catch. The more I can do with these dogs the better in my eyes. The ones here don't bark at all when they are sent on game....they go right to it, and that's it. Now if they see game and you are holding them back, they will bark/scream out of frusteration, but once you turn em out, you don't hear anything.

We always found they would go on game and pull and drag(most curs did)but when he started to get a bit of punishment that is when the barking started and they pull back,we classed that showing his colours.I would hate people to think that everything that was crossed with white bulls threw great stuff,a few did most threw stuff that was shite,you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.In my opinion as catch dogs,from the little I understand about catch dogs they will catch and hold.Try him in the shore and his true colours will come to the fore.

Not sure how much you know or how many CD's you've seen in the flesh on hog hunts, but hogs are no joke. That catch dog is meeting a force face to face, that is usually over twice his size, angry, and often with sharp cutters that are comparable to razor blades, and believe me, they know how to use them. My pup hasn't had the full experience yet, but he will this coming season in February, at which time, I hope I see the results I am hoping for. Time will tell. These dogs get flung/thrown, sliced, punctured, tore open etc by these hogs while trying to stay in hold. That's a pretty good test of character/heart. Which is also why we vest our dogs, and use cut collars, it's a life or death situation for these dogs EVERY time we take them out. They can easily be killed by an angry boar or sow. It's not JUST a matter of staying in hold. They're not holding a pillow by any means. If he passes this coming test this coming season, he will most certainly be worth feeding. I'd consider putting him to catch one of THE most serious punishments I could possibly put him through. Those who are seasoned hog hunters, will know exactley what I mean. A fox, or coyote is surely not going to put it on your dog like a angry boar would. A wild hog can literally KILL a dog in a matter of seconds.

Hell we have a Catahoula here that was forced into retirement early. She was my husband's main bay dog. She took a hit so hard by a boar, that it knocked her out, and she now has seizures whenever he blood pressure goes up. Hogs do not have thin skin also, they have very thick fatty almost armour like pelts, so the dogs can't just bite into them and crush them, nor have an advantage.

Edited by WorkingBullandTerrier
  • Like 1

Not this time. She's been beat up plenty by hogs though. She got hung up in a barbwire fence chasing after a coyote. Her partner in crime got jumped and she tried to give chase and got herself stuck pretty good. When I got to her she was a mess, and after I freed her she took off after it again. I had to call he back in with the e-collar or she would have hunted all night. I was worried about infection so I loaded them up and called it a night. I have a great vet.. but she wasn't able to close her up all the way. So now she's got a cushy place in the house for the next couple of weeks. She's a great dog. It's an honor to hunt her, but she's getting old now. The next year or two will see her number come up less often. I don't know how she's made it this long. I couldn't ask for a better pup trainer. Sorry about jumping all over your thread.

No worries. She's surely a trooper! In true terrier fashion, lol. Take a slice like that and keep on keepin' on!

WBT-Im sure when he says "curs" he means non game/quitters not cur as in a breed. A bulldoggers term.

A big hog can do things to a dog a coyote or fox cant, but dont get too carried away...with all the protective gear, and the amount of dogs piling on, the danger is minimal. Alot of hog hunters I know catch dogs are rejects from bulldog men, and dog pounds. I would wager a bet that "hog dogs" make up the widest variety of breeds, and crosses of any hunting dogs...and some of those arent even considered hunting dogs by alot of folks. It doesnt take anything special to catch some hogs, especially when they are over running the place.

Take care.

• Like 1

WBT-Im sure when he says "curs" he means non game/quitters not cur as in a breed. A bulldoggers term.

A big hog can do things to a dog a coyote or fox cant, but dont get too carried away...with all the protective gear, and the amount of dogs piling on, the danger is minimal. Alot of hog hunters I know catch dogs are rejects from bulldog men, and dog pounds. I would wager a bet that "hog dogs" make up the widest variety of breeds, and crosses of any hunting dogs...and some of those arent even considered hunting dogs by alot of folks. It doesnt take anything special to catch some hogs, especially when they are over running the place.

Take care.

LOl. You obviously have never hunted big trophy boars before. Doesn't take nothing special to catch a hog huh? So you'd just go to the pound and pick up any ol' mutt and you'd trust that dog to hang off the side of a 300 pound pissed off boar's head while getting flung and sliced by inch(es) long cutters while you have to walk right in there and grab that hog by it's back legs and flip 'em to stick 'em? I'd love to see that! Then I guess it doesn't take "nothing special" to catch a fox, (or have a pack of 4 large dogs jump one) or a coyote either. I've seen plenty of cross bred dogs do that too.

Thanks Doc. She's a tough old bitch though. I think she'll be o.k. in a week or two. She's seen far worse. I worry as much over yotes as I do hogs, they are terrier killers. They are the reason I got the drahthaar in the first place. My dogs are trashy as hell, and find ways to get their butts kicked on a regular basis. I have coons work them over with regularity. I keep no more than three dogs on the ground at any one time, and more often than not less. Dead is dead and it doesn't take long to get there with either.

THAT right there is why I was talking of getting them back to the straighter profiles......when their noses/nostrils are curved DOWNward, they get completely blocked off when they are in hold, making them mouth breathe, which can shorten the time they can stay in hold without turning purple lol. With the straighter profile, their noses/nostrils are not completely blocked off.....

Must admit im not too familiar with the whole hog thing so forgive my ignorance.......i cant quite see how this curved nose thing works i mean i understand the theory but does the dog just grab a hold and hang on ?....does the dog not work the hold ? would he not swap it for a better one ?......surely only if the dog is literally hanging on nose deep in one place without moving will the breathing thing be a factor.

They typically get right in there and grab a hold and hang on. USUALLY they'll grab an ear/side of the head, I have seen hard headed bulldogs grab the face/snout. I don't want a catch dog that 'fights' the hog, I need one that grabs and STAYS in hold, until I break him off. You wouldn't want your catch dog swapping holds if he didn't HAVE to, because when you're getting in there to leg/flip/stick that hog, you don't want your catch dog letting go for even a split second, because that can mean your about to get gored by a angry hog that is now 'loose.' That's why I don't want my BT's head structure to be so exxagerated and curved down as I explained in an earlier post. I want clear air ways so he can breathe easily while in hold. I do have an Am Bull that catches, and we have plenty of APBT's that catch and do the job well....but in this case I admire the determination and drive and intensity of our BT's, therefore they will be used to catch. The more I can do with these dogs the better in my eyes. The ones here don't bark at all when they are sent on game....they go right to it, and that's it. Now if they see game and you are holding them back, they will bark/scream out of frusteration, but once you turn em out, you don't hear anything.

We always found they would go on game and pull and drag(most curs did)but when he started to get a bit of punishment that is when the barking started and they pull back,we classed that showing his colours.I would hate people to think that everything that was crossed with white bulls threw great stuff,a few did most threw stuff that was shite,you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear.In my opinion as catch dogs,from the little I understand about catch dogs they will catch and hold.Try him in the shore and his true colours will come to the fore.

Not sure how much you know or how many CD's you've seen in the flesh on hog hunts, but hogs are no joke. That catch dog is meeting a force face to face, that is usually over twice his size, angry, and often with sharp cutters that are comparable to razor blades, and believe me, they know how to use them. My pup hasn't had the full experience yet, but he will this coming season in February, at which time, I hope I see the results I am hoping for. Time will tell. These dogs get flung/thrown, sliced, punctured, tore open etc by these hogs while trying to stay in hold. That's a pretty good test of character/heart. Which is also why we vest our dogs, and use cut collars, it's a life or death situation for these dogs EVERY time we take them out. They can easily be killed by an angry boar or sow. It's not JUST a matter of staying in hold. They're not holding a pillow by any means. If he passes this coming test this coming season, he will most certainly be worth feeding. I'd consider putting him to catch one of THE most serious punishments I could possibly put him through. Those who are seasoned hog hunters, will know exactley what I mean. A fox, or coyote is surely not going to put it on your dog like a angry boar would. A wild hog can literally KILL a dog in a matter of seconds.

Hell we have a Catahoula here that was forced into retirement early. She was my husband's main bay dog. She took a hit so hard by a boar, that it knocked her out, and she now has seizures whenever he blood pressure goes up. Hogs do not have thin skin also, they have very thick fatty almost armour like pelts, so the dogs can't just bite into them and crush them, nor have an advantage.

The ultimate test(leaving out the obvious one)in my opinion would be to try them in a shore,like the old Irish trials,that will tell you very quick what they are made of.What ever road you go down with them it is still nice to see them doing a bit.
  • Like 3

WBT-Your talking about big trophy boars like thats all you catch...we both know that aint the case. I have caught hogs in a pen, and wild cattle, so I have a little bit of an idea of what it takes to make a catch dog. I have been in arms length of bears and mtn lions on several occasions, (I dont carry a gun) so walking into a hog bay/catch isnt goin to make me pee down my leg.

I have seen some shit eaters catch coyote and fox, but most couldnt keep one caught. How many coyotes have you seen run down by dogs in the swamp? LOL What crossbreds have you seen catch coyotes...maybe I need to change up what im doin?

Take care.

WBT-Your talking about big trophy boars like thats all you catch...we both know that aint the case. I have caught hogs in a pen, and wild cattle, so I have a little bit of an idea of what it takes to make a catch dog. I have been in arms length of bears and mtn lions on several occasions, (I dont carry a gun) so walking into a hog bay/catch isnt goin to make me pee down my leg.

I have seen some shit eaters catch coyote and fox, but most couldnt keep one caught. How many coyotes have you seen run down by dogs in the swamp? LOL What crossbreds have you seen catch coyotes...maybe I need to change up what im doin?

Take care.

Okay, guess I need to speak extra specific. I damn sure WISH all I caught was trophy boars! If I'm lucky, I get a couple a season! Any dead hog is a good hog though with all the damage they cause. Did I actually SAY that ALL I catch are trophy boars? Nope, sure didn't. We are all in different areas here, and we all use our dogs to hunt different things. I only brought up the specific dangers of hog hunting because you seemed to downplay it, as if hogs can't put a hurtin' on a dog. I know factually that that surely is not the case. I don't hunt Coyotes (there are plenty out here), because I prefer to hunt hogs and nutria. Bottom line is, at the end of the day, most of us enjoy hunting with our dogs. That's all I have left to say about that.

Edited by WorkingBullandTerrier