deer dogs (preban)

i was in a pheashant wood in january walking around a pen in the dark .i see some mist riseing from the ground tho it was not mist it was a new born baby muntjack.the mother had just given birth to it. i quickly left the pen so the mother would come back.ive seen some very bad cuts where muntys have slashed dogs .muntjacks are very difffecult to catch in thick cover especially with one dog.you need a dog with determination to catch in thick bramble .most dogs are not up to it.chinese waterdeer are not that fast but some can turn very well and it can take a bit of stamina to catch a good fit one .tho my dog did chase a exceptional one for several minutes once and it just jumped a high hedge and was gone.i tried putting him on big reds but he looked at me as if to say i know i am big i am strong but 75lbs is not going to be big enough for those monsters .it was rutting season and about 8 charged at him .he could take fallow allways grabed the hock .he caught a barasinga and that was very fast with terrific take off speed.for big deer pre ban you really need two dogs that weigh at least 75lbs otherwise some of those big deer are going to escape and they will be damaged which is a very bad calling card.muntjacks for there size can be very strong they are the bullxgreyhound of the deer world i have seen ocassions when a 45 lb dog could not hold a big one .average size muntys yes but if you get a decent size buck they are very powerful for thier size and can sometimes cut dogs to pieces .you have to remember red stags can weigh from 200lbs up to 420lbs which is about 14stone up to 30stone .two heavy dogs would be needed for one of those.hunting big deer with to light a dog is unfair on the dog and the deer .i would be looking preban for 2gsdxg weight 75 to 85lbs/or two bullxgrey big heavy tall ones 75 lbs .or in modern times malxg 85 to 95lbs or rhodesian xg 85 to 95 lbs.you have to remember in the middle ages they allways run deerhounds in coupels not singly.i canott see any single dog pulling down a 420lbs deer .i did have two gsdxg billy and badger they as a pair would have a go at anything 75lbs and 85lbs the only trouble was i mean anything .which meant dogs sheep deer donkeys etc .i couldnt get them off anything once they were on it .i have never seen such a pair of norman bates since.they were so dangerous they had a pack mentality they had to go.it is all very well breeding dogs for deer but some can be a very big liability especially if they go into wolf mode

You go on about size ,size and size ,i think techinque and minreals are far more important dont you ?you could have 4 x 100lbs dogs and not catch a red ,i known of a 100lb bull x and 60lb bull x stop a 350lb+ Red in the rut .Ive seen 100lb dogs bay at fallow bucks and a 55lb bitch plow straight in,I have a friend who before the ban had a bullx bitch 23tts that if you didnt find her in time would kill everyfallow buck she caught,also i knew of a coursing dog x bull bitch that was 24tts that pulled 18 out of the 20 fallow bucks she run ...techinque and minreals every time !!! ,everyone has different views and standards what they call a deerdog and how they catch ,some accept catching them using fences etc while others look for more out of a dog ..i allways walked everywhere and still do like a walk ,but to really see (or seen before the ban ) what your dog is doing you need to be up close and thats where 4x 4 lamping comes into it ,you cant tell if a dog is pushing a deer or what its really doing if its right at end of beam ,before all the walkers jump down my throat i still belive walking is best way to teach a young dog to lamp ,i just like both but got to admit as im getting older to prefer the 4x 4 lol.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: very topical :thumbs:

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

Gamerooster, By Mugs I mean...

Yong deer, yearlings

Does before november

dogs on them before they no whats going on causing them to panic and bounce into fences etc etc

Anyone who says there dog hasnt been straightlined by a deer on the lamp hasnt ran enough good quality deer

:thumbs:

great topic , but like most a good big un will out do a good little un , lots of in betweens , i had a ninety pound animal that would take fallow in and job done in less than 2 minutes at times , tripped em crushed the throat learned the knack got as there was no sound to go by he had learned to silence them . atb bunnys.

1st lurcher i owned was a lurcher to lurcher x (deerhound x 2nd or 3rd generation X beddy grey/deerhound grey ) she was a smooth coated blue bitch stood only 23 " tts and was a decent deer dog 1996 ish she never came into season i would of loved to keep the line going ,a fiery little bitch took fox at 1 yr old and hated cats lol

most lurchers will chase deer if allowed ,went lamping with this bitch and my other lurcher sal/greyx bull/grey own them lines roughly and took deer regular but one night

saw this deer arse end like a bull (to this day not sure of the species a stray never saw it again ) and slipped dogs because of its size and left these 2 for dead it was off like a race horse straight lined both jumped hedge never to be seen again

i think it could of been a red but we dont have them around here 20 miles away yes but not local (thats why i still cant say 100 % what species )

most deer catch themselves ie make mistakes and run hedges /fences etc but to see one caught in full flight is sure a sight to be seen

its one of the best sights ive ever witnessed

• Like 2

nice red deer fuji. I would think a muntjack would be fairly easy for a lurcher, rather than out two natives[roe or red]

would that be because its smaller :laugh: i would have thought getting one to break cover would be a job in its self :hmm:

Muntjac can conceal themselves in cover that you would not think would hide a rabbit. They are pretty easy to pull over , being not as fleet a foot as Roe , but can be lethal because of their teeth, which can open a dog up like a can of peas.

great topic , but like most a good big un will out do a good little un , lots of in betweens , i had a ninety pound animal that would take fallow in and job done in less than 2 minutes at times , tripped em crushed the throat learned the knack got as there was no sound to go by he had learned to silence them . atb bunnys.

yes i agree ,but i didnt mean it like that ,i meant theres lot more to a deerdog than just size .and with the dog learning the knack ive know a few like that and it can be over very quick then.

Edited by DEERMAN
  • Like 1

Certainly mate.

Ive been hunting munties for a very long time. If the can breed all year round why is it ive never caught a doe that was visibly pregnant beetween the months of november and january ?

Has anybody else had one that was visibly showing sighns of dropping in these months ? I doubt it very much.

The deer society will also tell you that munties shed there antlers. Again total bullshit imo.

Im not looking for an argument im just talking from experiance. Your not. ATB

No digging on you at all matey but I have seen munty does with very well developed/ready to drop foetuses in early/ mid February which would mean that the foetus would have been pretty well developed in January surely?

I've seen them with fauns in Jan and Feb, and also pregnant.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yall are talkin bout a 30-40 pound deer like its a damn dog killer. Lets be real folks.

Shut up yank :laugh::laugh:

I love it when a plan comes together. HAHA!

:laugh::laugh: :laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And how bout them sazuki crosses? How many of them have really ever taken a real deer. I dont believe it for a minute to be honest. They skeert of a good Roe I bet ya.