deer dogs (preban)

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

thread wont last long, always turns messy :laugh: been done to death over the years, there was even a book written with pictures aswell :whistling:

Seems more folks are interested since the ban. As for the lamb thing depends on the land and circumstances. Foxes were always better pre ban for my money. The game dealer don't buy them though lol.

Then again never been much in the way of deer around here aside the odd muntjac lol.

Karpman

muntjack are like bloodey rabbits mate, breed all year around after 8 months old,

Muntjac dont breed all year round mate.

Yes they do;

http://www.bds.org.uk/muntjac.html

Cheers.

Shouldnt bielive all you read. Trust me they dont

Well; if it comes to a choice between what the Deer Society, Natruralists and Scientists believe...... and what you say; please forgive me if I opt for believing what the former say ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

thread wont last long, always turns messy :laugh: been done to death over the years, there was even a book written with pictures aswell :whistling:

Seems more folks are interested since the ban. As for the lamb thing depends on the land and circumstances. Foxes were always better pre ban for my money. The game dealer don't buy them though lol.

Then again never been much in the way of deer around here aside the odd muntjac lol.

Karpman

muntjack are like bloodey rabbits mate, breed all year around after 8 months old,

Yes they do;

Cheers.

Well; if it comes to a choice between what the Deer Society, Natruralists and Scientists believe...... and what you say; please forgive me if I opt for believing what the former say ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

Lol the good old deer society the ones who had a woodfull of CWD that turned to be munties ?

Karpman

Yes they do;

Cheers.

Cheers.

Lol the good old deer society the ones who had a woodfull of CWD that turned to be munties ?

So could you tell us what studies you have done, what papers you have written, or any other proof you have to dispute the commonly held opinion that Muntjack breed all year round ? I'm not having a go, mate, we don't have munties up here, and I've never ran them, but you came out with a statement in complete opposition to the commonly held believe; so can you back up your statement with facts ?

Cheers.

• Like 1

the best x is the one that does the job night after night year after year,its not about looks its what they put in the bag,if you was a boxing coach and you had a lad with a good jaw would you show him how to defend him self the same way as you would some one with a glass jaw.if you was an idiot the answer would be no,dogs or humans it not your age that retires you it how many hard fights youve had,thats why there must be a good brain

Edited by TALKCHEAP

the best x is the one that does the job night after night year after year,its not about looks its what they put in the bag,if you was a boxing coach and you had a lad with a good jaw would you show him how to defend him self the same way as you would some one with a glass jaw.if you was an idiot the answer would be no,dogs or humans it not your age that retires you it how many hard fights youve had,thats why there must be a good brain

there are crosses that put the odds more in your favour of producing a good dog though ;)

Karpman

Yes they do;

Cheers.

Cheers.

So could you tell us what studies you have done, what papers you have written, or any other proof you have to dispute the commonly held opinion that Muntjack breed all year round ? I'm not having a go, mate, we don't have munties up here, and I've never ran them, but you came out with a statement in complete opposition to the commonly held believe; so can you back up your statement with facts ?

Cheers.

Certainly mate.

Ive been hunting munties for a very long time. If the can breed all year round why is it ive never caught a doe that was visibly pregnant beetween the months of november and january ?

Has anybody else had one that was visibly showing sighns of dropping in these months ? I doubt it very much.

The deer society will also tell you that munties shed there antlers. Again total bullshit imo.

Im not looking for an argument im just talking from experiance. Your not. ATB

• Like 1

Yes you would, all boxers learn how to duck, block and parry, its down to the boxers choice to decide how the fight best, and what stance and fighting style they take.

there are crosses that put the odds more in your favour of producing a good dog though wink.png

your right thats why you should put a bit of thought into it before you breed,

did a lot of deer years ago but i'm getting too old now. and i dont fancy doing any more bird LOL. muntjac are surprisingly fast over a short distance and can turn a bit as well. specially when put up in the open and know where safety is they could be a bit tricky but pushed OUT of cover a dog would get up to them pretty quick. once the dog had one the fun really started cause they are tough little feckers and have skin like leather and will fight like b*****ds. seen a few dogs severly chivved up by them. seen bucks take the fight to a dog too. little deer with big hearts!! water deer could get overheavy if feeding well in a mild winter and the fat buggers weren't too hard, but a fit water deer is fast and stays and turns almost like a hare. they would test even a good dog but you had to give them a fair start as often they would just watch the dog comin anf not run till the last minute. a good roe will give any dog a run for its money, and if you ran an out and out fast dog it had better take the roe in that first rush or it would be made to look foolish. roe are fast and jump well, your dog had better be ready! fallow does are faster than they look but a reasonable dog would come to terms without too much trouble, but they will fight their best, kicking pretty hard so sometimes a single dog could get a bit of a battering but a good strong dog would take them regular. bucks are a different story as they are so strong. if a dog got a hold of one you better be perpared to step in and get involved cause a single dog could easy be killed by a fallow buck. especially near rut, some aren t about to run anywhere and would smash up a dog on occasion. never run red or sika. the few deer i took on the lamp just froze up or looked real confused and didnt really understand what was happening until the dog was on them so i stopped lamping deer as it was no fun for me, just stuck to daytime. but that all seems a long time ago now!!

very good post :thumbs:

Karpman

Yes they do;

Cheers.

Cheers.

Cheers.

Certainly mate.

Ive been hunting munties for a very long time. If the can breed all year round why is it ive never caught a doe that was visibly pregnant beetween the months of november and january ?

Has anybody else had one that was visibly showing sighns of dropping in these months ? I doubt it very much.

The deer society will also tell you that munties shed there antlers. Again total bullshit imo.

Im not looking for an argument im just talking from experiance. Your not. ATB

was in a wood in jan,,, and found a small fawn in a bramble bush :thumbs: he famale ran ou he oher end and doubled back

• Like 1