Stopping a dog attack

I have just been reading the thread where a staffie attacked a spaniel in a pub. Several posters wrote the attack could have been stopped quicker and more efficiently than by putting a foot on his neck. Ok, how?

This is a serious question. How do I stop a dog attack on one of my dogs quickly without being torn to shreds? I am often out and about alone with my dogs and would really like to know what to do, just in case. The terrier would definitely try to give as good as he gets but would not be a match for a large dog, and the lurcher has not got an aggressive thought in his head for anything unless it runs away from him. Sensible answers only please.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Someof the replies here are hilarious....id like to see some of you lads splitting up dogs that actually meant it !!......Hold it upside down,kick it in the balls,spray their face   Without a break

Nobody likes a bully.....and in my opinion its no coincidence why that type of dog attracts that type of owner............im first to admit ive owned extremely dog aggressive dogs myself but never in

do you carry a nice cheese dip to go with your bread stick :laugh:

Posted Images

Well I don't have a break stick, and I'm not gona start carrying one, main reason I wouldn't know where to start , other than stab it into its f*****g eye!

I'll just stuck with my laying the boot in the c**t the min it starts yoking on my dog

• Like 4

Well I don't have a break stick, and I'm not gona start carrying one, main reason I wouldn't know where to start , other than stab it into its f*****g eye!

I'll just stuck with my laying the boot in the c**t the min it starts yoking on my dog

plenty of sites out there tell you how to use one...

you get a strong willed dog and start kicking bet youll have a sore foot long before the dog lets go ..

Whether it's the right way or not, I've always taken physical control imediately by scruffing both dogs and then choke off the attacking dog. If you can't use your hands use a lead or a belt or whatever. Just choke the hell out of it and it will let go. My main concern is stopping the ragging so to minimise damage.

Probably better ways. You can't be expected to carry a break stick especially if you're not experienced in the use of one.

• Like 2

ok for those that dont want to use a break stick ... lift dog doing the attacking by the hind legs so only the fronts are on the ground ,, dog will soon tire out using only its front legs and be easier to take control of

• Like 2

Then you should learn mate, better safe than sorry, it doesn't have to be a massive wooden break stick, here's a key ring that will do the job.

http://www.elitekubotans.com/small-tapered.html

I am serious, it will take a minute to use, I'd say the hardest bit would be stopping the dogs moving or ignoring the screaming of the dog and or people.

I'd say it's about confidence not skill, it's very unlikely you'll get bitten if you're confident, get stood over the attacking dog, hand in it's collar, tight as you can, stick in the side of it's gob and prise it open, if you've got a lead with you then try and tie the attacking dog to something so once it's off it can't grab it again once you move.

I'm well aware the above has the potential to make me sound a tw@t, if anyone wants to give a demo then I've got a dog here that will certainly grab yours given half a chance! :laugh:

If you attack the attacking dog, then it's highly likely you'll get bitten, or tied to a tree if it's my dog that's getting booted. :thumbs:

• Like 2

using a break stick , you people make it sound a major thing ,

put stick in said dogs mouth where the teeth aint touching and twist , what is hard about that really

Then you should learn mate, better safe than sorry, it doesn't have to be a massive wooden break stick, here's a key ring that will do the job.

http://www.elitekubo...ll-tapered.html

Arnt they illegal? I seem to recall Jason Donovan (of all people) got done a while back for carrying one of these about.

I remember some dog attacking one of mine once and I just jumped straight in, grabbed the other dog by the scruff of the neck and went to pull it off without thinking. Of course, my dog then decided at that point to give the other dog a good bite and ended up biting my hand rather than the other dog. Still, my intervening was enough to scare the other dog off.

Always carried a break stick or something similar since I was about 15. Have even used a lighter as one, I think all dog owners should be made to carry one and shown how to use it. They're tremendous tools and could pregnant Also be used on a fox of he wouldn't let go of the dog.

If you won't/ don't have a break stick just do as suggested with the choking method but break stick won't damage a dog in any way shape or form.

here you go you cant leave the home with out them so heres a way you could try, copied from another site.

Stick your finger up its butt.

No, really. I was told this by a master of strange factoids,

Chuck Palahniuk. Yeah, the guy who wrote Fight Club. Apparently that's just about the only way to get those big guys with the locking jaws off. Shove a finger as far as you can up its butt. The dog's jaws will unlatch and you can either run or kick it. I guess it shocks the dog enough, as long as the dog hasn't had this pulled on it several times before (or has a rather icky owner). I'd believe him about this. The thing for fixing bullet holes in Survivor works.