Advice staffy attack

First off sorry for the long post.

So I'm off for a few beers with my family for early bar at the local. My son (9) wants to walk my 13 month old springer to the pub so away we go, the pub is in a village and dogs are allowed in and he's been in several times and liked by all, loves attention not a bark in him (literally)

Just at the door my son hands me the dog as he wants to go to the beer garden where we were going to sit, I open the door and without any warning a staffy sprints out of the pub and locks onto my dog. My dog is what I can best describe as screeming in terror I've even got my boot on the staffs neck pinning it to the ground to stop it shaking my dog but it's locked on and won't let go. It takes another four blokes and me to get them separated in what seemed like an hour but was probably 5 mins,

Now the owner (a woman who I know) is only looking after the dog for a few days whilst her son is on holiday, she was quite badly bitten on her hand trying to get the staffy off she's very apologetic and once she'd taken the staffy home came back to the pub to apologise.

Anyway She's pleading with me not report it as its her sons dog she's divorced from his father and she said it will cause her nothing but aggro if I do as she was looking after it she said she had no idea it was like that and had been in the pub for an hour off the lead playing happily.

I was kind of willing to accept this as her appology was heartfelt however afterwards three seperate people said the dogs got a history of this and has attacked at least 2 other dogs in the recent months whilst in her sons so called care. The dog is hardly ever walked and is permenantly kept in the garden of which I'm told is a large garden.

My Moral dilema is I couldn't live with it knowing this happened to another dog and the outcome was worst or even a kid was involved, what's the situation with reporting a dangerous dog would they just insist its leagally required to be muzzeled when in public (which is what's needed)?

If I report it I will not do it behind her back I will tell her face to face what I'm going to do and the reasons why.

Luckly my springer is OK I suspect because I stood on the staffs neck it couldn't shake my dog and the grip it had wasn't sufficient to cause much damage but had this been in the park this would have been much worse.

Anyone had anything similar or can offer (sensible) advice?

• Like 1

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The woman was genuinly sorry , apart from a fright your dog is thankfully o.k ,theres only heresay to go on that it,s happened before , have a word with the woman and her son , tell them you,v heard i

Why would a dog aggressive dog be any more likely to attack a child than any other dog?   Are all your working lurchers potential child killers?   Drivey dogs have no place in public places end of

G, I've got a dog here that will never be getting off the lead in a public place, I won't muzzle him because I hate them, but I've had a little insight into what he can do and won't be risking it agai

if you report it, it doesnt necessarily mean it will be destroyed, more likely to be subject to conditions, muzzled in public ect. in my veiw you have no choice but to report it as if it does it again you will be as bad as she is.

• Like 2

You have to report it. The why's and wherefores as to why the dog acts like this are irrelevant. The simple fact is it DOES act like that and will probably do so again.

The woman "being caused nothing but aggro" is surely preferable to another incident.

Hope your dog is O.K.

The woman was genuinly sorry , apart from a fright your dog is thankfully o.k ,theres only heresay to go on that it,s happened before , have a word with the woman and her son , tell them you,v heard it happened previously and you dont want to see the dog off it,s leash again , you say you know the woman , try to educate her about the dangers and how she avoid them .ATB

• Like 7

try sort it out yourself's without the law it will only put another black mark on bull breeds its the owners that need to be sorted out if bull breed attacks keep happening and with all the media attention lately it wont be long before the bans come in and it would be a shame not be to able to own such a wonderful breed without it havn to be reg and chipped and spayed and what not

My 2 pence worth ,is staffs are terrible for being dog aggressive ,BUT it's what they were bred for years ago.

The woman should left it at home if she don't live there,

If its attacked before it should be muzzled and kept on lead in public,and any vets bills or meds issued by you should be reimbursed.

• Like 2