• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To get some cash out of you !   Cheers.

If it's kennel cough vet will do no more than confirm this - make sure there's nothing stuck in throat, ie bone, stick, food etc! I once gave one of mine's honey and lemon linctus - not sure if it wor

Borderscot has just given you very good advice ! If it IS kennel cough, there is no cure, and a vet will usualy just rip you off ! Rest and keep the dog warm, dry and draught free, and it will pass in

my dog has a dry cough the last couple of days, dont seem to bad at the mo!!! any suggestions what to give him before a trip to the vet. thanks

If it's kennel cough vet will do no more than confirm this - make sure there's nothing stuck in throat, ie bone, stick, food etc! I once gave one of mine's honey and lemon linctus - not sure if it worked tho. Rest and good grub/water and definately no galloping around which could make things a lot worse. Just lead exercise and it'll pass in about 10 days. If it's no better then take it to the vets and he/she will probably prescribe antibiotics.

• Like 1

Borderscot has just given you very good advice ! If it IS kennel cough, there is no cure, and a vet will usualy just rip you off ! Rest and keep the dog warm, dry and draught free, and it will pass in a week or so. Some people relieve the symptoms with the likes of Benalyn, etc, but it's only a relief, not a cure.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Vets prescribe antibiotics if there is a secondary infection : such as bronchitis or pneumonia. If a dog has a healthy immune system, no underlying condition and is stress free and is fit and well it should be able to get through the virus the same as we do with flu.

Keep kennel cough dogs calm, warm and well fed and watered. Don't let them run: puts extra strain on lungs and may irritate throat lining. The virus can remain in the system for weeks afterwards. Some dogs get it worse than others, same as people with flu. If worried: see vet.

Coughing at this time of year may also be due to pollen irritation, or worse case scenario: a grass seed in the lungs: potentially very bad news indeed.

Has it run hard in the last day or so?

General on KC

Kennel cough is a term used to describe a broad spectrum of infections of the upper airways of dogs much as a common cold is in humans. In the majority of cases in a healthy adult dog these easily caught and spread infections will settle in their own time. A warm bed, good food and rest are the best treatment with perhaps the addition of a simple linctus type cough medicine. Not every dog coming into contact with an infected animal will become symptomatic but infection risk is increased if an animal is stressed i.e. in boarding kennels etc in a similar way to a human catching a cold when they're a little run down.

Dogs may become infected but not obviously symptomatic in that they do not get a cough but may have inflamed airways and so need recovery time also will they will be infectious to others, so if one dog becomes infected it's worth treating your others as having it and give all appropriate rest and recuperation etc. The infection can be passed for up to a couple of months after a case but is at its most infectious whilst an animal is actively coughing. The commonest symptoms are the presence a hacking cough culminating in retching that may produce a little foam, fluid and is often exacerbated with exercise and may present anywhere from a couple of days to weeks after exposure. In the cases of some of causative bacteria they may last for some time in the environment, especially in damp conditions, ready to case infection to any dog coming into contact.

There are inoculations, nasal or injection, against this but they are not full proof as they do not give resistance to all of the viruses, bacteria that can cause it and may reduce symptoms rather than stop infection. Antibiotics may be prescribed if things don't settle but in the majority of cases of simple Kennel cough they should not be required but rather used if secondary more serious infection follows leading to pneumonia. In most cases symptoms settle in a week or two but if the cough is getting worse rather than better then see a vet.

i hope for you and your dogs sake,, robin hood aint right mate..

got an old bitch here thats not looking good with this lungworm job. [had her abroad with us last summer]

coughing,no energy, off food, depressed etc.. and the thing is,, when you or vet realise, its too late...........

good luck..