what dog would u own if u could turn back time one of the greats???

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred by a sh-t di-k, raised by Rocks owned by Edwards "Stitch".One of the few true single handed coyote dogs. Females, UpHill's "Grace" she could put it down on anything here in N.America. Stitch-

The thing with dogs of bygone eras is they hold a romantic aura about them that would probably never be replicated, try not to live in the past and think about now and what you want in the future.The

Good point is that!! ATB Andy.

Used to hear a lot of tales about eddie jones dog celt never saw it run, anybody seen it work and was it any good. :hmm:

Think Chalks might know a bit, might have written about the dog too. ;)

That would be intresting saw its litter brother run hares a few times in the 80s

Used to hear a lot of tales about eddie jones dog celt never saw it run, anybody seen it work and was it any good. :hmm:

That would be intresting saw its litter brother run hares a few times in the 80s

:hmm:Celt was a nice enough critter,..big, strong,..I saw him run a hare and a few dozen rabbits..

A typical Three Quarter bred Greyhound/Collie,...good pace, a phenomenal jumper,...well written about in various early lurcher books... :laugh:

Not much else to say really... .

I'd of loved to own a dog called gelert top wolf killing dog from wales

was he red smooth coated dog with dropped lugs?

I'd of loved to own a dog called gelert top wolf killing dog from wales

was he red smooth coated dog with dropped lugs?

Don't think so Mate,Collie Based i Believe.Lol.

I'm just assuming, but I think the OP had coursing dogs in mind, when he started the thread ? But as we're talking about all types now; I would probably go for a couple I knew in the 60's & 70's. They were what we called "four trick dogs", hunt, jump, kill & carry ! A dog up here in the N.E., Brin, looked like a Deer/Grey, but could have been any cross; he did it all, day and night. I had a bitch, Tic, in the early 70's when we first got into lamping seriously, and she worked without a slip, carried back, alive, to hand, and was a handy dog in the day time ! A Non-Ped Whippet I had, Blue Prince, was a REAL "all rounder" Raced two or three times a week, with some success, and ran hares, deer and rabbits when he wasn't on the track ! Looking back thru' "rose tinted spectacles" ? Maybe, ... but in years to come, I may look back at one of the dogs I have now, Delta, as the one I'd like to have back !!

Cheers.

A mate in the 80's had a dog out of WoolyBear, can't remember the bitch. Sonny, the dog was named, an out an out nasty fecker, except with him, would put most bull crosses to shame, that fecker would kill anything with hair on it. Made a name for itself local, it ran and killed the lot, though not always in the best of ways, getting out one day and killing a Doberman in the middle of a busy shopping centre!

Sonny was put to an import Saluki bitch and I took a pup. My dog was too much of a desert dog for me and my game so went to a lad to kill hares but when a mate, who had the litter sister, put that back to a damn good Deerhoundy type lurcher, I got one of those and it was some animal. ;)

I'm just assuming, but I think the OP had coursing dogs in mind, when he started the thread ? But as we're talking about all types now; I would probably go for a couple I knew in the 60's & 70's. They were what we called "four trick dogs", hunt, jump, kill & carry ! A dog up here in the N.E., Brin, looked like a Deer/Grey, but could have been any cross; he did it all, day and night. I had a bitch, Tic, in the early 70's when we first got into lamping seriously, and she worked without a slip, carried back, alive, to hand, and was a handy dog in the day time ! A Non-Ped Whippet I had, Blue Prince, was a REAL "all rounder" Raced two or three times a week, with some success, and ran hares, deer and rabbits when he wasn't on the track ! Looking back thru' "rose tinted spectacles" ? Maybe, ... but in years to come, I may look back at one of the dogs I have now, Delta, as the one I'd like to have back !!

Cheers.

Now that's a good line.... :victory: And I wish you all the best with that Richie. :thumbs:

Bosun, Delta is now 6 1/2 year old, and I'm toying with the idea of having her mated next time she's in. I've never bred a litter in over 45 years of having running dogs, simply 'cause I thought I could bring better in ! People go on about the Stud Dog.. but what abut the bitch ? It would have to be some dog, that I'd let across Delta, but I think I'd regret never having a pup out of her ! Decisions, decisions !!

Cheers.