what dog would u own if u could turn back time one of the greats???

Just imagine how good lurchers nowadays would be if every dog was bred best to best from the start purely for performance

Many have been matey, the line of dogs I have go back to the 70's, the bull cross to the 80's and they have been bred best to the best since the line was founded, not by me I might add!

Just look at the coursing bred dogs, those lads have bred best to the best for many years too, and their dogs are fine athletes, and great at their job. Same can be said for all sporting diciplines. It really baffles me why folk still pump out first cross lurchers? Madness

Im not knocking you but a fool and his money are easily parted, its hard to take someone's word that he has lines of dogs going back 30+ years. True working dogmen are few and far between

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bred by a sh-t di-k, raised by Rocks owned by Edwards "Stitch".One of the few true single handed coyote dogs. Females, UpHill's "Grace" she could put it down on anything here in N.America. Stitch-

The thing with dogs of bygone eras is they hold a romantic aura about them that would probably never be replicated, try not to live in the past and think about now and what you want in the future.The

Good point is that!! ATB Andy.

Just imagine how good lurchers nowadays would be if every dog was bred best to best from the start purely for performance

Many have been matey, the line of dogs I have go back to the 70's, the bull cross to the 80's and they have been bred best to the best since the line was founded, not by me I might add!

Just look at the coursing bred dogs, those lads have bred best to the best for many years too, and their dogs are fine athletes, and great at their job. Same can be said for all sporting diciplines. It really baffles me why folk still pump out first cross lurchers? Madness

Im not knocking you but a fool and his money are easily parted, its hard to take someone's word that he has lines of dogs going back 30+ years. True working dogmen are few and far between

Firstly, Ive NEVER parted coin for a dog

Secondly, all of my friends I call TRUE dog men. more so than me, as they keep these lines going.

• Like 1

Bosun, Delta is now 6 1/2 year old, and I'm toying with the idea of having her mated next time she's in. I've never bred a litter in over 45 years of having running dogs, simply 'cause I thought I could bring better in ! People go on about the Stud Dog.. but what abut the bitch ? It would have to be some dog, that I'd let across Delta, but I think I'd regret never having a pup out of her ! Decisions, decisions !!

Cheers.

In this day an age that is to be admired mate, i've only bred one. As far as i'm concerned the bitch is as important as the dog, i'd always admire a good bitch over a good dog and there are far more good dogs. So choose wisley, (no offence) but with your years with running dogs behind you, go for your gut not your head, you'll know when something is right, no matter how 'unlikely' that may seem. :thumbs:

When I heard about Lima's litter, (Doxhope Knights Errant x Rivington Ena), my gut instinct was to get one ! My "head" then kicked in and I did my home work, including PM'ing the man who bred the sire, and checking "Greyhound Data" about the dams breeding.... It was what I wanted, so a 'phone call and a 500 mile round trip, and the pup I wanted was mine ! I've two very good bitches in my kennel now, but not that many years left to produce a "Line" LOL !! I'll just enjoy what I have, and keep my "game book" up to date, it may make decent reading, in years to come !

Cheers.

:laugh: :laugh: Produce a 'line', who do ya think you are mate.. Fecking Plummer! :laugh:

You produce the best ya can mate, thats all we can really hope for in this lurcher saturated country and if a line developes, in your lifetime or not, then you've done all you can to breed best from best and thats fecking admirable.... and make damn sure ya keep that book up to date, it's a rarety these days, i've read a few and only two of those 'should' be published (mine 'not' included)! :thumbs:

Bosun, I put "line", in inverted coma's....quickly followed by a "LOL", which as an old man, I thought would let the readers know, I was joking !! I'll never have a "line", or a book..... just a record of what my dogs have done, to be read by my kids, and, hopefully, grandkids, as I fear this life of ours is in it's dying days ! Next time I see you, you're buying the drink, for being a cheeky young pup !!

Cheers.

Secondly, all of my friends I call TRUE dog men. more so than me, as they keep these lines going.

I didn't mean you, i was saying people fall for tall tales of a dogs lineage without knowing if it's true or not

I'd of loved to own a dog called gelert top wolf killing dog from wales

was he red smooth coated dog with dropped lugs?

Don't think so Mate,Collie Based i Believe.Lol.

not the dog from anglessy then, that a lad they call tommy the boxer had? be a different 1 i think Edited by jamie7344

Bosun, Delta is now 6 1/2 year old, and I'm toying with the idea of having her mated next time she's in. I've never bred a litter in over 45 years of having running dogs, simply 'cause I thought I could bring better in ! People go on about the Stud Dog.. but what abut the bitch ? It would have to be some dog, that I'd let across Delta, but I think I'd regret never having a pup out of her ! Decisions, decisions !!

Cheers.

In this day an age that is to be admired mate, i've only bred one. As far as i'm concerned the bitch is as important as the dog, i'd always admire a good bitch over a good dog and there are far more good dogs. So choose wisley, (no offence) but with your years with running dogs behind you, go for your gut not your head, you'll know when something is right, no matter how 'unlikely' that may seem. :thumbs:

When I heard about Lima's litter, (Doxhope Knights Errant x Rivington Ena), my gut instinct was to get one ! My "head" then kicked in and I did my home work, including PM'ing the man who bred the sire, and checking "Greyhound Data" about the dams breeding.... It was what I wanted, so a 'phone call and a 500 mile round trip, and the pup I wanted was mine ! I've two very good bitches in my kennel now, but not that many years left to produce a "Line" LOL !! I'll just enjoy what I have, and keep my "game book" up to date, it may make decent reading, in years to come !

Cheers.

:laugh: :laugh: Produce a 'line', who do ya think you are mate.. Fecking Plummer! :laugh:

You produce the best ya can mate, thats all we can really hope for in this lurcher saturated country and if a line developes, in your lifetime or not, then you've done all you can to breed best from best and thats fecking admirable.... and make damn sure ya keep that book up to date, it's a rarety these days, i've read a few and only two of those 'should' be published (mine 'not' included)! :thumbs:

Bosun, I put "line", in inverted coma's....quickly followed by a "LOL", which as an old man, I thought would let the readers know, I was joking !! I'll never have a "line", or a book..... just a record of what my dogs have done, to be read by my kids, and, hopefully, grandkids, as I fear this life of ours is in it's dying days ! Next time I see you, you're buying the drink, for being a cheeky young pup !!

Cheers.

My apologies Richie, I seen your punctuation, thought you'd have seen mine in the context it was written... I know you were joking, I was too..! :yes:

Yep.... I'm buying mate.... Name ya poison.... :icon_redface:

• Like 1

I didn't mean you, i was saying people fall for tall tales of a dogs lineage without knowing if it's true or not

Fair point

What cross are yours going back to the 70s

Fair point

Don't think so Mate,Collie Based i Believe.Lol.

not the dog from anglessy then, that a lad they call tommy the boxer had? be a different 1 i think

No Mate,I think Joball was Having a Laugh.Gelert was the Hound of Prince Llewelyn in the 13Century

Real nice looking back at the dogs of old and dreaming.......

Unfortunately, there is very little these dogs of old can bring to the table in the days of now.

Having spent too many years dreaming and wondering, I've come to the conclusion that it's better to keep one eye proper focused on what you have, and the other on looking forward.

Legends are easily glorified and make for good pub talk, or fanciful pen scribble, which makes them that bit harder for the dogs of today to hold equal ground against. Truth is, there are probably a whole heap of Heros out there now, and these are what we should be looking for and talking about......and breeding from, rather than dogs that hold a loose tedious link to a perceived Legend of old.

For the record, I would like to have again, our first collie cross lamping bitch......what a cracker, I could tell some tales on her.

All through rose tinted glasses of course :lol:

asher1.jpg

This is the future for me. Not everyone's cup of tea and I have no idea where she is gonna take me, but a darn sight more enjoyable than looking back

1jan12fert057.jpg

Am glad she is looking forward too!

Edited by tia.kins
  • Like 2

Gelert was actualy a MYTH, he never happened !! The same myth is told around the world...a good stoty but no truer than Jack Londons White Fang, or Call Of The Wild" !!

Cheers.

Gutted now.I was told my Bitch was a Direct Descendant from Him.

• Like 1