Vet says dont give bones

Took the lurcher to the vets due to having a lump under its eye which was getting bigger by the day. Turned out to be a abscess caused by a bad tooth, anyway he took that tooth out drained the abscess and took another tooth out while he was doing it.The thing is i asked when, if she can, start having some lamb bones again. He told me i really shouldn't feed my dogs bones because theres a good chance a piece will splinter sooner or later and cause serious problems, saying it does happen quite frequently.

I have only started introducing bones (mainly raw lamb bones)to my dogs diet over the last year due to the benefits i have heard from feeding raw . He said only give them an ox knuckle for 15 mins then take it off them. Also warning me about pig hyde chews while he was at it. Now he is a good vet and really i shouldn't doubt his advice, so i was wondering whats your thoughts and have any of you had any advice from your vets about feeding your dogs bones because i would be very interested to know.

Cheers

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am afraid this is the kind of badly informed information you can get from people not in the know   Cooked bones are dangerous, so never give these Raw bones especially non weight baring ones(nec

Aye - you've got in in one there mate. I'm old enough to remember when there was only 2/3 brands of complete food on the market - Wilson's and Happidog are two I recall. The complete food market is a

In my head, i liken it to eating fish, i love fish, eat plenty of different sorts, so theres always a chance I might choke on a fish bone, but haven't in 38 years, and will continue to eat fish.  

I don't give knuckles as a food stuff, just something to chomp on every once in a while to aid clean teeth.

My vet was very against raw but she did look it up on my recommendation and came round to some extent.

Why is it considered bad for people to eat heavily processed food packed with preservatives and additives, but not for our dogs?

Yes, there is a chance a small splinter may cause a problem.

Yes, there is a chance your dog will die while running in a field.

In my head, i liken it to eating fish, i love fish, eat plenty of different sorts, so theres always a chance I

might choke on a fish bone, but haven't in 38 years, and will continue to eat fish.

My dogs love raw and cooked bones.....

• Like 1

ive worked at numerous rescue centres and kennels over the years, ive seen a couple of cases of bones damaging the mouths of dogs, but its fairly rare. i wouldnt advise giving bones id just make sure you supervise the dog whilst its eating them.

ive worked at numerous rescue centres and kennels over the years, ive seen a couple of cases of bones damaging the mouths of dogs, but its fairly rare. i wouldnt advise giving bones id just make sure you supervise the dog whilst its eating them.

do you think i should put a bib on him and cut his food up for him ? :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

i took my dog to the vets to have stiches in a neck wound ,she checked my dog over and commented on its lovely condition and brilliant white teeth ,she said the dog was a credit to me .she then asked [bANNED TEXT] im feeding as her ex racing greyhound has never looked like my lurcher ,i replyed barf ,she said that she couldnt recomend feeding barf as its not a very good diet .my reply was dogs have been eating it for thousands of years and could she tell me where i was going wrong .

theres an element of risk no matter what you feed ,my dogs have never looked better since i started feeding barf over 2 years ago ,i dont feed weight bearing bones only chicken wings, carcasses,lamb ribs,rabbit, when i get it.