hard terriers

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

You can not fully test a truely hard dog so why do so many value them as brood stock????

Why cant a truely hard dog not be tested ?

Because IMO to fully test a dog it needs to be used in many different earths and situations many times a season. Hard dogs can't be tested as they are sat in the kennel when they should be getting dug. Like i have already said i think many people are getting a hard dog and a rough dog mixed up they are not the same animal.

Moddey-dhoo i can only say that you've never had a truly reckless dog, the dogs i'm on about would have a hold of there head and be trying to pull it off regardless of the punishment being dished out, the trouble with climbing all over them is it gives them the opportunity to move. Fat man, do you meen Kill the fox ? or finish the dig ?, IMO killing foxes is a knack and i've bred from bitches that do and bitches that don't.

D i mean kill the fox to ground,and i know what your saying bout learning a nack in doing it,but would you breed of a DOG N BITCH that would'nt be fit to.

what do you mean by fit to?

Not got that extra gear to push up and finish it of in other words dosen't like geting hit,sooner sound at it all day.

Moddey-dhoo i can only say that you've never had a truly reckless dog, the dogs i'm on about would have a hold of there head and be trying to pull it off regardless of the punishment being dished out, the trouble with climbing all over them is it gives them the opportunity to move. Fat man, do you meen Kill the fox ? or finish the dig ?, IMO killing foxes is a knack and i've bred from bitches that do and bitches that don't.

D i mean kill the fox to ground,and i know what your saying bout learning a nack in doing it,but would you breed of a DOG N BITCH that would'nt be fit to.

Not got that extra gear to push up and finish it of in other words dosen't like geting hit,sooner sound at it all day.

Are you saying that a terrier which has never killed a fox is not worthy of breeding off?

What utter shite.

In my opinion as long as the terrier stays till the job is done and does not get bossed about by the quarry, what happens in between is of little importance.

A terrier which can kill its quarry is handy in certain circumstances but it is not the 'be all and end all'.

Working terriers is not, and has never been, about how much damage the terrier can inflict upon the quarry. That is macho bullshit that has manifested itself in recent times.

A bayer and a stayer is what every genuine decent terrierman would strive to have.

FTB

• Like 2

You can not fully test a truely hard dog so why do so many value them as brood stock????

Why cant a truely hard dog not be tested ?

Because IMO to fully test a dog it needs to be used in many different earths and situations many times a season. Hard dogs can't be tested as they are sat in the kennel when they should be getting dug. Like i have already said i think many people are getting a hard dog and a rough dog mixed up they are not the same animal.

imo I think people get mixed up with hard and game dogs ....but surely working a hard dog as much as you can is a form of testing ....I have a dog I would consider hardon foxes that has had a few 4hour plus digs 1 last year he was on for over 4hours with a jcb digging down to him and never moved and we opened up to the dog with his fox dead and the dog had nothinng left in the tank on the point of collapse but he stayed with it he has had a double 4 yolkers this season 2 of which both were dead surely thats a test for any terrier so I have to disagree that hard dogs cant be tested .

FTB this is not a macho thing but the hole point of the thread is is there any point to working hard dogs and like ive already said all types have there place and as you said as long as there stayers

FTB no one said anything about macho,i certainly did'nt.Iasked a simple question.Would you breed from a dog and bitch not capable of killing a fox

i wouldnt or if i did it would be to a dog that was killing them in short order.

Fair play tiny tiger at lesst you answered the question.

FTB no one said anything about macho,i certainly did'nt.Iasked a simple question.Would you breed from a dog and bitch not capable of killing a fox

i wouldnt or if i did it would be to a dog that was killing them in short order.

Fair play tiny tiger at lesst you answered the question.

Are we talking both dog and bitch?

To answer your question I would not breed off a dog dog that was not regularly killing foxes, but I would breed off a bitch even if she has never killed a fox.

We all have differences of opinion. Makes things interesting.

FTB

whats all your veiws on this thares lads all over the place that seem to think hard terriers are better terriers :doh: i think its just stupid whats the point of haveing a terrier that can only be worked 1 every 2 to 3 month when you can have a baying terrier that can be worked 3 to 4 times a week well to me i would rather have the baying dog myself :thumbs: i have a old terrier dog thats 8 and he has done a fair amount of graft over the years but folk seem to think becouse hes not got chunks missing here and thare they dont beleve he works this used to piss me off but now a just dont give a shit as i no myself he works and has been a good littel dog for me over the years :thumbs:

Once every 3 month :icon_eek: jesus must of had a leg amutated.. it don't take that long for a dog to heel maybe 3 wee

To be honest yes I would breed off something that will bay rather than kill a fox as long as it has the gears to keep it in the stop end,it is up with its quarry and you can consistently dig to the dog or bitch then I am more than happy.

I am no longer in hunt service but when I was a dog that killed foxes was of no use to me at all. I am not at all interested in whether a dog can kill a fox I'm interested in whether it can get result after result day after day season after season.

Thats all I'm after no heroics.

Drifter

there is a few earths round my way that a hard dog is usually needed or a very good sounder that will mix it up if needed be.The game is so used to getting dug that it will just run around the earth all day long and try push past the terrier

just on this point, would ye think there was a difference years ago between terriers been reared to digging game thats been humanely dispatched after every dig & terriers that are dug to where the game is left go for another day & that they might come across again ?

Guest dee mac

i ve owned hard dogs and as some off the guys have said they make a simple job ten time more difficult at time s by spooking there quarry and pushing in and rolling around giving it the chance to make good its escape then it all starts again contact move contact then move stuff holding mid tube then off as spade hits the ground i ve seen it umpteen times thats a fact.now take the steady dog who works nice and tight not giving an inch there in and settled start the dig game knows your on the way and starts to get edgy but dog takes his jip and everything settles down again nice and steady then just as you get near or break through then dog goes the extra few inches takes there hold and its job done dog broke right away and put on chain and quarry dealt with too land owners request now the steady dog may be fit too be dug again on same day maybe even twice that day as for wreckless if he s made of right stuff he ll get job done but you ll not dig him on same day again maybe not even the next week or week after .number two how many times have you heard the old saying na thats a bit too deep for this dog he s mute hard as if its something too be proud of so in with the steady dog works away could take half the day too get too them but its job done then maybe that evening drop the hard dog in a simple puppy place and they charge in take hold quick dig job done and its the old i told you he was hard not a bark some dog drop him into a few places that old steady has too deal with week in week out and you ll soon see a big change either you ll be the proud owner of a dog that has learned to work or the owner of a dog thats standing on end of chain looking like he s come through a combine harvester and has not got the result because if worked regular in these type of places the reckless hard dog will come unstuck i know which one id rather feed .