hard terriers

I had a bitch that was silly hard and she ruined more digs than she sorted, she'd climb all over em and wouldn't give them a seconds rest, she was the other end off the scale and just wouldn't leave them alone. She is no longer with us and as for the" there wouldn't be any dogs without hard dogs" ?, you could breed two steady dogs and get iron hard pups and vice - versa, you pays your money and takes your chance.

Yes, but if you keep putting the steady dogs together, pretty soon they are too steady.

Hard dogs can be a pain in the arse, its difficult to give them regular work, and some never ease off with experience, but you KNOW they carry the game gene that all terriers need. JMHO. :thumbs:

Good post FoxFan, and imo spot on.

• Like 1

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

You can not fully test a truely hard dog so why do so many value them as brood stock????

why cant you ?

i'd have thought that was obvious :thumbs:

its all down to what people veiw as hard. their are hardy dogs and then their are foolhardy dogs the latter is as much use as a chocolate fireguard. :thumbs: why woud anyone breed from such a dog.

if tour looking for a handy working dog then breed from handy working stock

• Like 1

You can not fully test a truely hard dog so why do so many value them as brood stock????

why cant you ?

That question should answer itself really but here goes. Most "hard" dogs will quit if they have to do any real time to ground FACT. When selecting two dogs to breed you are looking for the best available to you so why use one that has a fault and to me dull hardness is as much a fault in a digging dog as walking off. Now peoples views on a hard dog are different, i have had the misfortune of seeing and trying to put back together a couple of truly stupid hard dogs and hope i don't have to do it again. Now a rough dog is totally different and i think that is what alot of people are getting mixed up with a hard one.

Guest busterdog

why cant you ?

That question should answer itself really but here goes. Most "hard" dogs will quit if they have to do any real time to ground FACT. When selecting two dogs to breed you are looking for the best available to you so why use one that has a fault and to me dull hardness is as much a fault in a digging dog as walking off. Now peoples views on a hard dog are different, i have had the misfortune of seeing and trying to put back together a couple of truly stupid hard dogs and hope i don't have to do it again. Now a rough dog is totally different and i think that is what alot of people are getting mixed up with a hard one.

Once again you've got it spot on.

why cant you ?

that hasnt explained why a hard dog cant be tested,

im looking to be educated not picking fault with your reply

a true hard dog, is a dog in control by the use of force hard dogs which allows the game to run around are not hard dogs or are just to small to play the game young hard dogs are the easiest of dogs to sicken some idiots think working them sore will make them bay asking a young hard dog to work sore is asking the dog to walk and say more about the owners than the dog steady can get so steady =clever.. they can end up a yard away a drop of the hard stuff every so often isn't a bad thing

a true hard dog, is a dog in control by the use of force hard dogs which allows the game to run around are not hard dogs or are just to small to play the game young hard dogs are the easiest of dogs to sicken some idiots think working them sore will make them bay asking a young hard dog to work sore is asking the dog to walk and say more about the owners than the dog steady can get so steady =clever.. they can end up a yard away a drop of the hard stuff every so often isn't a bad thing

That sounds spot on to me...

Guest busterdog

Moddey-dhoo i can only say that you've never had a truly reckless dog, the dogs i'm on about would have a hold of there head and be trying to pull it off regardless of the punishment being dished out, the trouble with climbing all over them is it gives them the opportunity to move. Fat man, do you meen Kill the fox ? or finish the dig ?, IMO killing foxes is a knack and i've bred from bitches that do and bitches that don't kill on a regular basis.

Moddey-dhoo i can only say that you've never had a truly reckless dog, the dogs i'm on about would have a hold of there head and be trying to pull it off regardless of the punishment being dished out, the trouble with climbing all over them is it gives them the opportunity to move. Fat man, do you meen Kill the fox ? or finish the dig ?, IMO killing foxes is a knack and i've bred from bitches that do and bitches that don't.

D i mean kill the fox to ground,and i know what your saying bout learning a nack in doing it,but would you breed of a DOG N BITCH that would'nt be fit to.

Moddey-dhoo i can only say that you've never had a truly reckless dog, the dogs i'm on about would have a hold of there head and be trying to pull it off regardless of the punishment being dished out, the trouble with climbing all over them is it gives them the opportunity to move. Fat man, do you meen Kill the fox ? or finish the dig ?, IMO killing foxes is a knack and i've bred from bitches that do and bitches that don't kill on a regular basis.

i know what your saying and with out talking bollocks that can get people in the shit...fresh can be dug with a yapper...edited to say i didn't mention reckless :)

Edited by moddey-dhoo

also if there small enough to climb all over them there to small to be hard and are reckless

I have had plenty of so called hard dogs in my time but only one has stood out from the crowd (chips was his name) I thought i had seen many hard terriers until i obtained him then it became clear that i had not!

I have had a few and seen loads of terriers owned by others at work that many would class as hard but believe me that dog had one gear and that was forward,

Now the down side!! he only worked 6 times a season and he only worked 3 seasons!!

Cost the same to feed as all my other terriers!

Stil want a HARD terrier?

The best terrier i have ever seen work was called terror from a good hampshire hunt terrierman and owned by a friend who is terrierman for a local hunt that worked 3 days a week until retired at the grand old age of 10.( hardly marked by the way )

Not a hard terrier by any means but never gave an inch and done the job to perfection.

Chips or terror? You choose,

Moddey-dhoo i can only say that you've never had a truly reckless dog, the dogs i'm on about would have a hold of there head and be trying to pull it off regardless of the punishment being dished out, the trouble with climbing all over them is it gives them the opportunity to move. Fat man, do you meen Kill the fox ? or finish the dig ?, IMO killing foxes is a knack and i've bred from bitches that do and bitches that don't.

D i mean kill the fox to ground,and i know what your saying bout learning a nack in doing it,but would you breed of a DOG N BITCH that would'nt be fit to.

what do you mean by fit to?