hard terriers

my brother had a terrier that would bay steady for as long as it took for him to get a chance to take hold. then he would strike and all went quiet . then you where digging to a dead fox. he took very little damage until his age caught up with him . on hindsight this dog wasnt clever he just didnt like to get bitten. lol. he was a very handy terrier and seen a lot of work never changing his style of work. 

• Like 4

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cant be arsed to trawl the thread to see if i posted in it but wuthout the hard ,rough type we would have no future workers to work .

You can only piss with the dick you've got, if you've got hard terriers then work them accordingly, in the right sort of place. What's a man to do should his stock suddenly breed hard terriers ? Shoul

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS. If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good d

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Some of the very best terriers I’ve ever dug to work the way you lads are saying and probably of very similar blood, but the mute ones have always ended up taking stick. 

It happens for sure I've seen it myself.

• Like 4
On 3/3/2018 at 05:13, dogmandont said:

Some of the very best terriers I’ve ever dug to work the way you lads are saying and probably of very similar blood, but the mute ones have always ended up taking stick. 

Some do some don't and I've seen both but that's how terriers are.

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, fat man said:

They are out there might not be everyone cup of tea but aslong as they do the job who cares. Some lads like to hear their dog working but it doesn't bother me either way once they stay.I'd rather have a mute hard dog than a yapper that will move with quarry everytime the pressure comes on IMO that only educates them more and ruins a good earth in the process. Same applies to stupid hard dogs that will do maybe half an hour flat out then come out like something from a horror movie not what i want in a terrier.

That's what happened to the bitch I spoke about spewing normally she was a bully but that day she never even settled not once I thought she might kinda  spew it but without trying I would never know and if she did I thought it would be at the end when the pressure was on not like it happened but I think maybe we both failed that day 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, fat man said:

They are out there might not be everyone cup of tea but aslong as they do the job who cares. Some lads like to hear their dog working but it doesn't bother me either way once they stay.I'd rather have a mute hard dog than a yapper that will move with quarry everytime the pressure comes on IMO that only educates them more and ruins a good earth in the process. Same applies to stupid hard dogs that will do maybe half an hour flat out then come out like something from a horror movie not what i want in a terrier.

Don't think anyone wants a terrier to walk fat man 

I do believe you and howdeep tho about such terriers but what I don't believe is there ability to do this every time on a weekly basis that is utter nonsense even them terriers will take punishment 

Your well entitled to your opinion especially when you have not seen such a thing. An odd scratch here and there I wouldn' call that punishent as I said little punishment this keeps been misinterpreted over and over 

Edited by howdeeposxxt
  • Like 1

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS.

If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good dog to STAY, what does it matter if it takes punishment???

Its for the terrierman to take care of the dog, flack taken or not, the wee warriors have done there job its up to us to take care of them after the war.

Some people dont like dogs in a+e, but by f**k ye cant tarnish a wee dog that gets the job done, but has taken stick, why would you??

Its not everyones cuppa tea, but f**k sake these wee dogs are looked down on too much, so what if it takes stick, as long as jobs done, its not about macho bullshit, if wee dog likes to grip an takes a bit while doing this then so be it, the owner cant do much about it, just take real good care of dog, most on here will know all this, i just cant understand folks putting wee warriors that take a bit while gripped on trial in front of a judge, each to there own, but when ye have a true warrior that gets job done, when others cant, an takes bita stick while at it, whats the problem?

Keep her lit lads.

• Like 14
16 minutes ago, Francie said:

Lads if your dog is mute, an takes some flack, or if your dogs mute an dont take flack, whats the problem, as long as the dog STAYS.

If you have quarry thats been therre before, you need a good dog to STAY, what does it matter if it takes punishment???

Its for the terrierman to take care of the dog, flack taken or not, the wee warriors have done there job its up to us to take care of them after the war.

Some people dont like dogs in a+e, but by f**k ye cant tarnish a wee dog that gets the job done, but has taken stick, why would you??

Its not everyones cuppa tea, but f**k sake these wee dogs are looked down on too much, so what if it takes stick, as long as jobs done, its not about macho bullshit, if wee dog likes to grip an takes a bit while doing this then so be it, the owner cant do much about it, just take real good care of dog, most on here will know all this, i just cant understand folks putting wee warriors that take a bit while gripped on trial in front of a judge, each to there own, but when ye have a true warrior that gets job done, when others cant, an takes bita stick while at it, whats the problem?

Keep her lit lads.

In a nutshell ?

Wasn't gonna post as I don't want to come across as a bullshiter but its not that uncommon and I dont understand why its so hard to believe. I dug one dog every fortnight for four seasons totally mute, locked on , not marked up all, he got a bit slower I think and got a few marks after that but nothing hectic. The father of Francie's bitch is ten, still mute and is in very good order, he's killed a few in his time and even managed one last year,  I have a pup half brother to Francie's bitch dug about ten first season, not a bark or a mark, he seems to have same technique.

• Like 6
12 minutes ago, steve t said:

Wasn't gonna post as I don't want to come across as a bullshiter but its not that uncommon and I dont understand why its so hard to believe. I dug one dog every fortnight for four seasons totally mute, locked on , not marked up all, he got a bit slower I think and got a few marks after that but nothing hectic. The father of Francie's bitch is ten, still mute and is in very good order, he's killed a few in his time and even managed one last year,  I have a pup half brother to Francie's bitch dug about ten first season, not a bark or a mark, he seems to have same technique.

Why was he not dug every week. Are 3 or 4 times in a day. I’m not a novice to digging dogs and know plenty of lads that are out 3 or 4 days a week throughout the season but I’ve never heard of a mute dog that didn’t take stick. I’m not talking about a dog that works it quarry to a stop then takes hold, As that to my mind is not a mute dog, im taking about the dog that takes hold first chance he gets and  still gets it to a stop are hold mid tube till dug which sometimes could take 2 or 3 hours are sometimes much longer.

• Like 1
On 3/3/2018 at 13:20, Mixedgrill said:

Don't think anyone wants a terrier to walk fat man 

I do believe you and howdeep tho about such terriers but what I don't believe is there ability to do this every time on a weekly basis that is utter nonsense even them terriers will take punishment 

I cout show you a bitch that can be dug weekly and she is mute and as I have said very little work on her anyway its me that has to clean and feed them so I really don't care who believes what.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Seen many dogs take hold but rarely without punishment and that's the truth. Don't disbelief the type being discussed either .That's what makes for discussion .

You cull everything ffs how's that testing a terrier your dogs are as soft as the teddys your digging 

• Haha 1