black ferrets

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well you have a sambo & honky dont you anyway :laugh:

Well, here is my my two penn'eth   I have kept ferrets for 30 years and have had all sorts including pure wild cage caught polecats. I have seen many dark animals but none darker that Romany's above

Posted Images

Here is a couple of mine.

S4010001.jpg

S4010003.jpg

How old are the kits in the pics Romany? :)

Can't remember exactly, they were from 2008, I think they were 8 or 9 weeks.

Do you still have them? and have you any pix of them now? sorry to be a pain, just interested :thumbs:

All these "black" ferrets just look like rather nice dark polcat ferrets.

I don't disbelieve that with a bit of artificial help ferret/mink mules might have been bred but I can't see the offspring being viable in the breeding stakes .

Mink breeding biology differs in that they have a different gestation period to a ferret and can also exhibit delayed implantation .

These are just my thoughts . :thumbs:

Polecat x mink hybrids have occurred naturally in the wild, but only in Europe as the mink needs to be the European mink. The American mink in this country doesn't hybridise with the polecat or ferret.

I did'nt know that but it is a little more believable that the cross might occur with European mink as they -I believe- have a gestation period nearer the ferret's and I don't think they exhibit delayed implantation as often . As European mink do not occur in Britain and are actually quite rare it makes the claims of people who say they have a mink /ferret cross in this country even more unlikely . Thanks Romany. I live and learn ! :thumbs:

Have a look at this.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.ferret.ru/eng/im/xonorik.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ferret.ru/eng/khonorik.html&usg=__nQhQCuC-riv1NdUaBZzlQQE6ISg=&h=284&w=350&sz=26&hl=en&start=2&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=mnoaCbmihpO-QM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dferret%2Bx%2Bmink%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26sa%3DG%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-GB:official%26tbs%3Disch:1

Thanks again . I learn more and have also done a bit more digging. Apparently the wild European PCs and European mink have tended to hybridise where the E mink are rarest and therefore short of mates. It seems desperation is the mother of sexual experimentation!.Some of the hybrids are fertile to a lesser degree but lose potency with sucessive crosses . Interestingly specimens of polecats with a small evidence of E mink blood are commoner than specimens where mink blood is strongly apparent . Whether this is due to the fact that the polecat is dominent or simply because the European mink is rarer and less able to contribute to successive generations is open to question .

The same source also mentions that pure polecats of a naturally occuring particually dark type were described that did not test positive for mink influence . Could this be the root of the "black ferret" conundrum?

Not only have I learned a bit and done a partial turnaround on my previous thoughts on mink hybrids thanks to this thread but I feel it is seriously time I got a life and put my anorak away for the night . All the best

:bye::thumbs:

very nice pics, and i take it back clearly there are black ferets :icon_redface:

i do like the look of them i must say, my jill is due in approx 4 weeks and i can't wait, i love ferret kits their the only animal that make me go girly :icon_eek: my daughter loves getting involved and this jill is more trusting then the one i bred last year so i'm looking forward to watching behaviour i missed last year :boogie:

be good to see new pics of various colours of ferrets

all the very best Annemarie x x x

very nice pics, and i take it back clearly there are black ferets :icon_redface:

i do like the look of them i must say, my jill is due in approx 4 weeks and i can't wait, i love ferret kits their the only animal that make me go girly :icon_eek: my daughter loves getting involved and this jill is more trusting then the one i bred last year so i'm looking forward to watching behaviour i missed last year :boogie:

be good to see new pics of various colours of ferrets

all the very best Annemarie x x x

there not completely black. mines especially the jill is as dark as 2oclock in the morning,but still has the white mask.

and they do have diffrent charachter the jill will make it her mission to hide all the meat i put in. funny to watch her at times.

whether ferrets or mink x i dont know but what i do know is they behave differantly from the norm ferret, they are longer to mature grow alot bigger and according to myself and the people who i gave the offsping to work alot harder. but thats just an opinion. does anyone elce find the handling an behavior differant with the blacks? mine never lost the ability to cry like kits lol

you lot know f**k all about ferrets if you think blacks don't exist

well if a smart c**t like yourself has a black ferret there is a guy in a shooting mag who is offering a grand to anyone who produces one.no ones collected as they dont exist.if they do id love to see a pic of one from you.