alsatian x greyhound

No reason it should not be a versatile cross depending on the G.S.P used.I grew up listening to tales of this adaptable dog as my father served his national service in the royal vetinary core and was stationed in the middle east with his dog after training at melton mowbrey and some of the stories about these dogs were frightening.atb dell

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

he no legend Ron lol,  there prob loads out there as good or better mate . All i ever wanted from a dog was one that  had  decent  brain, good feet/ coat good stamina , and fair pace, and bit more gri

Coursing sire malli bitch dam atb Bill 

Considering putting a long dog over my bitch in a year or 2. She works all game aswell as the man 

Posted Images

We ran a pack of mongrels in the mid/ late sixties, the leader of the pack was an Alsation/collie [REX] This dog would hunt from morning till night, never knew anything about lamping in those days,You would be hard pushed to find a better hunter anywhere,we intended to breed him with a full gru as we got a bitch from the flapping tracks that was turning its head. We got the bitch fit on hares and rabbits but before we got the chance to breed it, my mates old man sold it for drink money back to a greyhound man who went on to win races with the bitch after us putting the work into it.

Rex would kill anything you asked him to,would catch rabbits easier than a lot of lurchers i've seen, could run down a hare, his best was five in one week [remember he was an ali/collie] and the gru bitch jumped,killed and carried to hand we would regularly catch 3 to 4 hares + rabbits with her on a day

I'm sure if we had bred Rex with this bitch we would have had pups that would have been spoken about for years to come.

yeah i totally agree its suprising what the heavyer breeds can catch and shame you get him to the grey. you would of had some sport on your hands then. do you think everythink has changed in the hunting world since those days for good or bad

Things have changed dramatically and for the worse, when we were boys people in the country were all of the same mind. People would ask you if you could get rid of rabbits under their garden sheds,some farmers would tell you where the hares were lying, the neighbours would shout out the windows when you got back to see if you had any spare rabbits.[we stayed in a housing scheme]. Now everything is cloak and dagger, I don't lamp, but I can see why guys do it. Most people that stay in the country now are townies that have moved out and they don't want to see guys with dogs running about on their ground," maybe a bit strong saying most people", but in saying that a lot of guys with dogs don't show any courtesy to people now. We had great fun when were boys even right up to a few year back.I've had to change my type of dog from big Deerhound types to smaller rabbit type dogs but even they can get you in trouble, the good times have definitely gone.

sorry for the spelling but i had one of the malinious x greyhound. there as game as hell and would say there the better x but i had massive problems with fence training tried everything but all he would do was howl like hell. dont get me wrong he was marking berries at 13 weeks real switched on but was a complete let down on fences so i sent him back to the breeder as promised if i would ever rehome him as his pick of litter died. which was a shame but no chance in hell was i picking him over every fence and gate. no chance. so ive gone back to the trusted alsatian/grey.

I don't think this is typical of the breed...in fact I think the opposite is typical.

Mals are definitely one of the most athletic breeds:

Ring Sport Mal

sorry for the spelling but i had one of the malinious x greyhound. there as game as hell and would say there the better x but i had massive problems with fence training tried everything but all he would do was howl like hell. dont get me wrong he was marking berries at 13 weeks real switched on but was a complete let down on fences so i sent him back to the breeder as promised if i would ever rehome him as his pick of litter died. which was a shame but no chance in hell was i picking him over every fence and gate. no chance. so ive gone back to the trusted alsatian/grey.

I don't think this is typical of the breed...in fact I think the opposite is typical.

Ring Sport Mal

mate totally agree if you search about a month back i put a very lengthy post on some one asking how good malinios were as a breed they are way above the gsd but the prob put me off. Read my post i put then your'l understand just how much i know about the breed. My mate owns two. Great dogs to. He was the one that breed them

Ring Sport Mal

mate totally agree if you search about a month back i put a very lengthy post on some one asking how good malinios were as a breed they are way above the gsd but the prob put me off. Read my post i put then your'l understand just how much i know about the breed. My mate owns two. Great dogs to. He was the one that breed them

Missed that one....good to know you have knowledge of the breed. Def not for everyone and there is some variation within the breed....just as in all of the others :D

Edited by Bigshrimp

post-5621-126676108201_thumb.jpg

post-5621-126676105669_thumb.jpg

This my First cross GSD Grey Drift

She is a joy to work and own,when I first bred this litter I had the doubters to slow ,cant turn quick enough,back problems blah blah blah

To date 126 rabbits on the lamp in good company 12 bolted rabbits ferreting retrieved nine shot hares

She has feet to die for, very quick to learn,cool as a cucumber,

Her only blot so far was she chase after a bolting rabbit through dense cover ,my polecat hob went after the rabbit to when she got to the hole the ferret was disappering down the hole she stuck her head in and the ferret bit her that was the last thing he did bite,I was gutted and she new she had done wrong,I and several others are that happy with her I may look at breeding her next season to a good strong whippet.

nice looking bitch heart of wales ,but like alot of half cross anything they can be limited at times , saw few over the years and were nice dogs , but saw some through l;ike alsaitions and were not pacy enough , yours is greyhoundy , but i saw some thta were like an alsaition but lighter boned , still very versatile dogs for mooching and oppurunists iliked my mates dogs gaurding instinct ,and trainability , good and more laid back than some collie half crosses i have had and saw