alsatian x greyhound

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

he no legend Ron lol,  there prob loads out there as good or better mate . All i ever wanted from a dog was one that  had  decent  brain, good feet/ coat good stamina , and fair pace, and bit more gri

Coursing sire malli bitch dam atb Bill 

Considering putting a long dog over my bitch in a year or 2. She works all game aswell as the man 

Posted Images

i have a bitch which is preety much a alsation x greyhound, but is not a first cross, believe she has a bit of collie in the mix back a few generations. she is everythin a need and more, a very good all round dog, and thinkin of mating her next year if i can find a sitable stud.

yeah few of my mates have/had them and they are great dogs. how tall is yours and do you know her weight. mines around 16tts now but hes only nine weeks, not to bad

she is 14 months old 25.5 tts and think she is around 55lbs

When you say Alsationx do you mean Alsation or German Sheperd... coz when i was growing up they were two totally different breeds altogether... atb stabba

now a days its my understanding that they are classed as the same breed. i know what your saying as i also thought the long haired stocky ones were alsations and the lighter short haired ones were german shepherds but now they are classed as the same breed. this is my understanding. but if not then she was alsation

the saying Alsation was used by the british to describe the breed of both long and short haired German shepherds after the war, people did not want to use the word German!! that was my understanding i could be wrong but it sounds like something we would do.

i;ve always thought alsations are prone to hip problrms and weakness in the back legs?? if [NO TEXT TALK] nows mor say pls

depends on the lines my bitch is what you call an original straight back so is unlikely to suffer. Over many years people have bred into the dogs a bigger arch, this was seen as more desirable in show, with it brought hip problems.

hi all , i had a first cross asation greyhound back in the 1980 s, he was 27inches at the shoulder and weighed 80 pounds , he had feet like a bear and to look at him you wouldn t think he could catch a cold but he was one of the best hare catchers i ve had day or night . he was also excellent on bunnies in the lamp which will surprise a lot of people because of his size. he was also was excellent on the big stuff and charlies . i will post some pics on here soon but have got to wait for my son to do it cause i m shit with the scanner.

i;ve always thought alsations are prone to hip problrms and weakness in the back legs?? if [NO TEXT TALK] nows mor say pls

depends on the lines my bitch is what you call an original straight back so is unlikely to suffer. Over many years people have bred into the dogs a bigger arch, this was seen as more desirable in show, with it brought hip problems.

the bitch to my pup was the same kind of type she was a security dog which was highly trained. and he said he never goes with any of the ones with the arch he tries to get them with the straight back like they are still bred in germany. if you have a german shepherd from this country and its got alot of red in the pedigree thats a bad sign because as you said the kennel club have ruined the breed and changed them to suit them selves in the ring not the work side. she was a very smart bitch who was soft as anything till he gave her the command then i almost needed a nappy

Edited by huntingalltheway

saw afew aslaaition crosse a freind had two in the ninties they were good dogs to have about ,not speedsters but they thrashed the game at times saw it scale ,a 11 foot wall with a dummy , ben was the dogs name the lad who had them gone now up in the sky , but he bred thre qaurtes to andcaut all sorts ben the half cross was a battler cacth foxes any thing was game very obeident ,was agood gaurd dog at the river at nite ,very powerful i would say 4 to 5 stone , we were sitting on a net one nite and bang, ben had a bailiffe by the leg manage to get him off , he was areal scrapper but controlable , he coverd land like khe wsnt moving fast ,a real poaching cur , and clever , saw s bartons rooney and musket work up here they were good dogs and good gaurds , saw a lad down in filey scarbourough area he had a few to, black long backed and powerful dogs ,gotthem on vid quite good to see ,just would be hard to maybe get the [bANNED TEXT] type of alsaitions at times , but we have the belgain type dgs now saw one the other day a real dog ,but a handfull

saw afew aslaaition crosse a freind had two in the ninties they were good dogs to have about ,not speedsters but they thrashed the game at times saw it scale ,a 11 foot wall with a dummy , ben was the dogs name the lad who had them gone now up in the sky , but he bred thre qaurtes to andcaut all sorts ben the half cross was a battler cacth foxes any thing was game very obeident ,was agood gaurd dog at the river at nite ,very powerful i would say 4 to 5 stone , we were sitting on a net one nite and bang, ben had a bailiffe by the leg manage to get him off , he was areal scrapper but controlable , he coverd land like khe wsnt moving fast ,a real poaching cur , and clever , saw s bartons rooney and musket work up here they were good dogs and good gaurds , saw a lad down in filey scarbourough area he had a few to, black long backed and powerful dogs ,gotthem on vid quite good to see ,just would be hard to maybe get the [bANNED TEXT] type of alsaitions at times , but we have the belgain type dgs now saw one the other day a real dog ,but a handfull

sorry for the spelling but i had one of the malinious x greyhound. there as game as hell and would say there the better x but i had massive problems with fence training tried everything but all he would do was howl like hell. dont get me wrong he was marking berries at 13 weeks real switched on but was a complete let down on fences so i sent him back to the breeder as promised if i would ever rehome him as his pick of litter died. which was a shame but no chance in hell was i picking him over every fence and gate. no chance. so ive gone back to the trusted alsatian/grey.

We ran a pack of mongrels in the mid/ late sixties, the leader of the pack was an Alsation/collie [REX] This dog would hunt from morning till night, never knew anything about lamping in those days,You would be hard pushed to find a better hunter anywhere,we intended to breed him with a full gru as we got a bitch from the flapping tracks that was turning its head. We got the bitch fit on hares and rabbits but before we got the chance to breed it, my mates old man sold it for drink money back to a greyhound man who went on to win races with the bitch after us putting the work into it.

Rex would kill anything you asked him to,would catch rabbits easier than a lot of lurchers i've seen, could run down a hare, his best was five in one week [remember he was an ali/collie] and the gru bitch jumped,killed and carried to hand we would regularly catch 3 to 4 hares + rabbits with her on a day

I'm sure if we had bred Rex with this bitch we would have had pups that would have been spoken about for years to come.

We ran a pack of mongrels in the mid/ late sixties, the leader of the pack was an Alsation/collie [REX] This dog would hunt from morning till night, never knew anything about lamping in those days,You would be hard pushed to find a better hunter anywhere,we intended to breed him with a full gru as we got a bitch from the flapping tracks that was turning its head. We got the bitch fit on hares and rabbits but before we got the chance to breed it, my mates old man sold it for drink money back to a greyhound man who went on to win races with the bitch after us putting the work into it.

Rex would kill anything you asked him to,would catch rabbits easier than a lot of lurchers i've seen, could run down a hare, his best was five in one week [remember he was an ali/collie] and the gru bitch jumped,killed and carried to hand we would regularly catch 3 to 4 hares + rabbits with her on a day

I'm sure if we had bred Rex with this bitch we would have had pups that would have been spoken about for years to come.

yeah i totally agree its suprising what the heavyer breeds can catch and shame you get him to the grey. you would of had some sport on your hands then. do you think everythink has changed in the hunting world since those days for good or bad

Edited by huntingalltheway