• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will donate this camera to your cat hunting if you would like it  lumix fz72 60x zoom 

Was out for a walk with the dogs this morning, bumped into a fellow I sort of know through a lot of common interests we often stop for a chat,he hunts a bit and likes his old cars I have something for

Just re reading the whole thread and you’ve come under some real stick mate .Apologies for my part .Doesn’t mean I’m a believer just embarrassing some of the comments 

Posted Images

This footage was taken in far east Russia in winter.....

It was filmed somewhere in the red area on this map....

2017-07-01 13.55.36.jpg

Now what's that, 6 times bigger than the whole of the UK??? If someone can find and film one of the rarest big cats on the planet, in an area 6 times bigger than our little island, in a huge forest in the middle of winter I'm sure there would be plenty of footage of them (cats not tigers lol) over here!

the difference is the amount of money being chucked at that and professionals involved

Here no ones interested in funding it and it's amateur

When the army and marines were drafted in for the beast of exmoor several of them shot at what they claimed was a big cat

I believe it was the bootnecks that shot at it

• Like 1

2017-07-01 13.55.36.jpg

Now what's that, 6 times bigger than the whole of the UK??? If someone can find and film one of the rarest big cats on the planet, in an area 6 times bigger than our little island, in a huge forest in the middle of winter I'm sure there would be plenty of footage of them (cats not tigers lol) over here!

It depends if they were specifically looking for those tigers . If they were they might have known through years of research roughly where they were . I've seen the argument that documentaries find the most rare animals but usually that's after years of searching and big budgets and research team .I seen a video of a snow leopard and the footage they got was right at the end of their search where they were near the point of packing up and going home . If they started their search a week earlier they'd have left a week earlier and would have missed it. As far as I can tell the only real searching in this country is people like greyman doing it off their own back part time while sleuthing on other people's land .

• Like 1

2017-07-01 13.55.36.jpg

As far as I can tell the only real searching in this country is people like greyman doing it off their own back part time while sleuthing on other people's land .

Theres a guy called Danny Nineham who is a british big cat "consultant" :whistling: He pops up now and again,used to do roadshows and big cat exhibitions etc,he has been actively investigating since the early 1990's.

It was filmed somewhere in the red area on this map....2017-07-01 13.55.36.jpg

It depends if they were specifically looking for those tigers . If they were they might have known through years of research roughly where they were . I've seen the argument that documentaries find the most rare animals but usually that's after years of searching and big budgets and research team .I seen a video of a snow leopard and the footage they got was right at the end of their search where they were near the point of packing up and going home . If they started their search a week earlier they'd have left a week earlier and would have missed it. As far as I can tell the only real searching in this country is people like greyman doing it off their own back part time while sleuthing on other people's land .
And they find nothing, what does that tell you?

Doesn't tell me enough to be honest . Give them great equipment a license to go wherever they want and investigate what they want and a year or two and if they came back with nothing it would tell me a lot more

I've researched quite a bit in two areas that have seemed to be particular big cat "hotspots" in recent years - the Stroud valleys in Gloucestershire and the Hartlepool/Sedgefield area in the North East, and if anything that has made me a bit more cynical about the whole thing. I did see, clear as day, a lynx running through a field in the Doncaster area about ten years ago, which was what sparked my interest. That was a definite, a clear, daylight sighting for a decent period of time, in good light and close enough to pick out a lot of detail. I remember the way it moved, in this quite strange, fluid pouncing movement, the tufts on its ears, the short tail, the markings. 100% a lynx. But that was just a sighting, it didn't tell me anything about why it was there, where it came from, whether it was actually fully wild or being used for baiting (there was a story in the papers later about poachers using them in Yorkshire that made me think "ah, maybe"), etc.

I'm pretty convinced what people are seeing are large feral cats. Certainly in the North East area, anyway. Around the Wynyard/Castle Eden Walkway (which seems to be the NE 'hotspot') there are a family of very big, feral cats that live in the woods. They're big, but probably in actual fact not THAT much bigger than a house cat. But from a distance, with the shock value of seeing something unexpected, yeah, you're going to think that this strange black animal you've seen is a panther. I saw one of them, standing in front of me on the path all of quarter of a mile from the car park. It clearly wasn't a 'big cat' but it was exactly as the reports said - a thin, surprisingly 'leggy' black/grey cat with a tiny head and pricked up ears that initially resembled something like a cross between a cat and a dog. Strange looking, but just a feral cat. I spoke to a guy who frequents the place pretty much every day. He told me about this months before I actually clapped eyes on in, told me where it's most usually seen, etc. Nobody's probably going to shoot it, because when they do they're going to walk up to its body and feel like a right wally. But it's causing reports nonetheless.

Where it all falls down for me is the colour. In both areas, most people report black panthers. But the black panther is a very rare, melanistic leopard. Why don't people report leopards with spots, which are far less rare and in more zoos around the country? You never hear of a spotted leopard being reported, or very rarely, just black panthers. This is what makes me think they're just feral cats. The reports either seem to be of black panthers, or strangely coloured/marked creatures that don't actually fit the traditional puma/panther description at all. If there were hybrid species out there, that means there must be strong breeding numbers and if that was true then they'd be far more visible in the countryside.

I suppose I'm more open minded about the Stroud/Forest of Dean/Malvern Hills reports, because there was a story recently about pumas being released by Mary Chipperfield onto the hills, and I suppose they could have bred. What struck me doing a bit of research there though was how few people actually believed it. You ask someone about it in the North East area and people had a story, there was a panther roaming round the Trimdon area, a family of massive feral cats in Wynyard Country Park, but there, nobody had a first hand story and most people just didn't buy it at all.

• Like 2

if you think about all the hounds that run the uk i'm sure they would of stumbled on one by now.

I thought i saw one once on christmas day back in 1995ish walking the dog with my parents it was a large black animal didnt move like a dog but was the size of a lab (estimate) but who knows.

Most packs are Brocken to cats , they even keep them in the kennels by me (bad for PR) if they keep killing them . But you would have thought one might have broken cover and been spotted, maybe they are all up in the trees? But there are so many out at night with NV or lamping , I can't believe we haven't got one down yet . I makes me think they aren't out there.
On the nv etc debate . I've read about that, drones,lampers etc but how many people actually own NV,thermal , drones in comparison to the size of the UK . If all these gadgets had been around for 50 years widespread and we were like now( no confirmed sighting) then I'd agree but these things are relitevly new in the scene of things and with the whole woodland in the UK their area is probably a dot in comparison

if you think about all the hounds that run the uk i'm sure they would of stumbled on one by now.

I thought i saw one once on christmas day back in 1995ish walking the dog with my parents it was a large black animal didnt move like a dog but was the size of a lab (estimate) but who knows.

Most packs are Brocken to cats , they even keep them in the kennels by me (bad for PR) if they keep killing them . But you would have thought one might have broken cover and been spotted, maybe they are all up in the trees? But there are so many out at night with NV or lamping , I can't believe we haven't got one down yet . I makes me think they aren't out there.
On the nv etc debate . I've read about that, drones,lampers etc but how many people actually own NV,thermal , drones in comparison to the size of the UK . If all these gadgets had been around for 50 years widespread and we were like now( no confirmed sighting) then I'd agree but these things are relitevly new in the scene of things and with the whole woodland in the UK their area is probably a dot in comparison
The way I would answer about the NV question is like this , around my area nearly every field or wood is part of a shoot or has livestock that needs protection. A lot is keepered ground , if only half the shooters looking after the ground have NV that is still large swathes of the countryside being observed at night . Most keepers I know now have or have access to NV . Chances are if you are driving along and see the countryside those fields have someone shooting over them , or if not the boys with running dogs will be shining a beam over it now and then .
sorry to bring this one back but I,ve been away for a few days,( and it's my favourite subject) can I ask you what part of Gloucestershire you are from as Gloucestershire is one of the hottest area,s in the uk for cat sightings I also know of a farmer in south Gloucester that stopped the hunt coming on his land after they put up a cat and he had people coming back at night trying to lamp it, the edge of the Cotswolds around Stroud has lots of national trust and common land all along it and this is were many of the signs and sightings are found, I won't go into it to deep as there was a million page thread on the subject a few weeks ago and I bored everyone to within an inch of there lives but night vision, drones and thermal imaging along with dash cams will make it become impossible to ignore within a few years, of this I,m sure
Im not far from Birdlip , we hunt over a lot of National trust ground not far from Stroud . I know stalkers from Stroud , they haven't seen any big cats either , most of those large National trust woods have high seats all over them and have a high population of fallow , roe and Muntjac and are regularly stalked. Something you should know about Stroud is that there are a lot of Hippies and artist types living in that area , go to the town centre on a Saturday and it looks like a crusty juggler convention ( tie dye, and dreadlocks) . I'm not surprised that they see a lot of "big cats " around that area . Indeed they probably see a lot of UFOs , Lord Lucan , Shergar and I believe Elvis is sometimes spotted leaving his one bedroom maisonette , going for a pint at the legion .
I love Stroud on a Saturday, it's a good day out, if you pop into nailsworth most people seem to accept there is a big cat living in the woods along the edge of the Cotswolds, Gloucester police even picked a dead one up off the road near there in 2014 they even have a dedicated Bobby that deals with all the reports but I guess seeing is believing and until you see one you won't believe
Went to a family birthday party last night, and bumped into a guy I know from Stroud who runs a small pack of terriers and Lurcher's and hunts around the Stroud valleys . We were having a natter and I mentioned "big cat " sightings being reported in the area , he said that he hasn't seen any . He did however say that there was a report of a big black cat chasing a fox on Rodbourough common in the Stroud news and journal .That was his deerhound x greyhound, it chased a fox past a few parked cars the day before .

I seen the panther when I was 15 yrs old with a bloke and his son and sons mate and that was 1985 when we were out lampung,and I can still remember it like yesterday and always said I don't care who believes me as we know what we seen.i put it down to right place right time.

• Like 1

I seen the panther when I was 15 yrs old with a bloke and his son and sons mate and that was 1985 when we were out lampung,and I can still remember it like yesterday and always said I don't care who believes me as we know what we seen.i put it down to right place right time.

I used to know a dark skinned lad possibly mixed-race hence his nickname Coco (No PC back then) around about 1985,he was from Hartlepool or darlington who told me he lamped a black panther near Hartlepool somewhere.

The way I would answer about the NV question is like this , around my area nearly every field or wood is part of a shoot or has livestock that needs protection. A lot is keepered ground , if only half the shooters looking after the ground have NV that is still large swathes of the countryside being observed at night . Most keepers I know now have or have access to NV . Chances are if you are driving along and see the countryside those fields have someone shooting over them , or if not the boys with running dogs will be shining a beam over it now and then .
sorry to bring this one back but I,ve been away for a few days,( and it's my favourite subject) can I ask you what part of Gloucestershire you are from as Gloucestershire is one of the hottest area,s in the uk for cat sightings I also know of a farmer in south Gloucester that stopped the hunt coming on his land after they put up a cat and he had people coming back at night trying to lamp it, the edge of the Cotswolds around Stroud has lots of national trust and common land all along it and this is were many of the signs and sightings are found, I won't go into it to deep as there was a million page thread on the subject a few weeks ago and I bored everyone to within an inch of there lives but night vision, drones and thermal imaging along with dash cams will make it become impossible to ignore within a few years, of this I,m sure
Im not far from Birdlip , we hunt over a lot of National trust ground not far from Stroud . I know stalkers from Stroud , they haven't seen any big cats either , most of those large National trust woods have high seats all over them and have a high population of fallow , roe and Muntjac and are regularly stalked. Something you should know about Stroud is that there are a lot of Hippies and artist types living in that area , go to the town centre on a Saturday and it looks like a crusty juggler convention ( tie dye, and dreadlocks) . I'm not surprised that they see a lot of "big cats " around that area . Indeed they probably see a lot of UFOs , Lord Lucan , Shergar and I believe Elvis is sometimes spotted leaving his one bedroom maisonette , going for a pint at the legion .
I love Stroud on a Saturday, it's a good day out, if you pop into nailsworth most people seem to accept there is a big cat living in the woods along the edge of the Cotswolds, Gloucester police even picked a dead one up off the road near there in 2014 they even have a dedicated Bobby that deals with all the reports but I guess seeing is believing and until you see one you won't believe
Went to a family birthday party last night, and bumped into a guy I know from Stroud who runs a small pack of terriers and Lurcher's and hunts around the Stroud valleys . We were having a natter and I mentioned "big cat " sightings being reported in the area , he said that he hasn't seen any . He did however say that there was a report of a big black cat chasing a fox on Rodbourough common in the Stroud news and journal .That was his deerhound x greyhound, it chased a fox past a few parked cars the day before .
there are a few like that mate I know a lad that lives in an old caravan in the middle of the woods and owns a large black lurcher that is prone to hunting alone at night and he has caused a few reports himself, but I bet your mates deerhound X never done this on rodbourough common a couple of months ago, the deer was hit by a car in the night but when the guy went by in the morning it had been dragged away from the road gutted peeled and eaten the stomach is in the bushes next to the carcass

post-102539-0-22791200-1498990830_thumb.jpg

post-102539-0-46872300-1498990861_thumb.jpeg

A list of shows the big cat tent will be at this year, frampton fair 10th sept, North Devon show 22 July, Monmouth show sadly yesterday, Forest showcase 1st October, Stroud show 15th July, Dunster 26th July, Herefordshire fair 6 Aug, and the Bucks show 31st Aug if any of you are close and want to know more pop in and have a chat some of the people who do this have been keeping records for over twenty years and will be able to answer some of your questions the shows are also a brilliant source of reports for the group and even one or two people get on board and start looking themselves as I did cheers

I used to know a dark skinned lad possibly mixed-race hence his nickname Coco (No PC back then) around about 1985,he was from Hartlepool or darlington who told me he lamped a black panther near Hartlepool somewhere.

This was at spennymoor in the back end of October in a stubble field and it was like watching a kitten playing with a ball of wool.we watched it for what seen ages but was about 4mins before it realised we were there with the lamp on it,then it sat for about 3mins before I decided to walk towards it with the hair on the back of my standing on end.then I decided to stand still after 20yrds as we just starred watching each other.it would of been the perfect picture to prove what it was and how big it was,then it about turned and ran to the ditch at the back of the field then made its way up the ditch and kept stopping every couple of seconds to watch us eating it before it went out of sight.that thought I will never forget plus 4 people can't tell the exact same story even after all these years.

• paulus locked this topic
  • paulus unlocked this topic