The Future Of Working Lurchers.

Working lurcher Organisation - Countryside Alliance.  

104 members have voted

1. 1. With the recent rumbles regarding a amendment. Do lurcher men want & club that is willing to promote legitimate lurcher work , communicate their concerns at a higher level and a platform to share knowledge,experience & field trials etc.

• Yes - I think thats something we are missing.
    • I am not sure but, If i seen some action, id like to participate.
    • I am not interested.
  2. 2. Would You Join the CA "If " lurcher work was seen to be a concern of theirs?

• I already am a member.
    • Id join "IF" they were seen to be working, to protect & promote legitimate lurcher work.
    • I am not interested .
    • No . Id not even give them Ten pence.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will be a long term campaign, tough and certainly not for the weak hearted or those who cannot commit to and stick to the proposals as regards time and enthusiasm. Every body ,who is involved in

The term lurcher work covers a wide spectrum of countryside and sporting activities. I personally dont think joe public has any great objections to lurcher work as most of them wouldnt know or unders

With the recent proposed Amendment going on hold & a few related posts and topics on here..   Its got me thinking and most likely a few others.   I've touched upon the subject with some like

Posted Images

the banner should have the images of the different types of lurcher/longdog on the corners of it, like whippet, greyhound saluki and deerhound, 1 at each corner

you can put unicorns on it if you like. Its whats behind the banner that matters.

the banner should have the images of the different types of lurcher/longdog on the corners of it, like whippet, greyhound saluki and deerhound, 1 at each corner

you can put unicorns on it if you like. Its whats behind the banner that matters.

its just so everybody knows that theyre covered

Also whilst I am sat here thinking why argue over long dog or lurcher when the new organisation could corporate the word running dog ... That covers both lurchers and long dogs ........

• Like 4

Also whilst I am sat here thinking why argue over long dog or lurcher when the new organisation could corporate the word running dog ... That covers both lurchers and long dogs ........

Whilst we all know what we mean by a running dog or a longdog is, the majority of the general public do not. If we are to stand a chance of improving public opinion of lurcher work, it may be more useful to use terminology that the public are familiar with. Lurcher. Alan pointed out that there is the public perception of lurchers being connected with poaching, but any club member or representative would have agreed to work within a code of conduct which excludes poaching. A key cornerstone of the new "alliance" would be to uphold and defend the values laid down in that code.

• Like 1

Whilst we all know what we mean by a running dog or a longdog is, the majority of the general public do not. If we are to stand a chance of improving public opinion of lurcher work, it may be more useful to use terminology that the public are familiar with. Lurcher. Alan pointed out that there is the public perception of lurchers being connected with poaching, but any club member or representative would have agreed to work within a code of conduct which excludes poaching. A key cornerstone of the new "alliance" would be to uphold and defend the values laid down in that code.

And one of the main reasons for the new club is to educate the general public ... But like lacs and the RSPCA you have to be a bit savvy about how you go around these things ... Opening with the words lurcher will automatically put sceptics on the back foot thanks to the lies told by the aforementioned organisations ... Starting with the words running dogs and easing them in slowly and gaining their confidence must be a better way to go ......

Who's Arguing Socks ?

It was a genuine relevant question I put forward .

It wasn't aimed at any individual max it was a generic sentence that rather than half the lads wanting one name and the other wanting another name why not go middle of the ground .......

And one of the main reasons for the new club is to educate the general public ... But like lacs and the RSPCA you have to be a bit savvy about how you go around these things ... Opening with the words lurcher will automatically put sceptics on the back foot thanks to the lies told by the aforementioned organisations ... Starting with the words running dogs and easing them in slowly and gaining their confidence must be a better way to go ......

I can see where you are coming from Ken. But we all get p#ssed off when we see a thinly veiled deception. If we are to argue against those against us doing it, maybe we should hold our heads high and call them lurchers. We can discuss it at the meeting, but I feel there may be more pressing issues to attend to.

• Like 2

That's what i was thinking "running dog association (RDA)".

The top people now involved should focus on promotion of lurcher work to the general public this is the way Imo to fight the ban trying to lobby Politian's will be like banging our heads against a soft cushion, and I dont agree with free membership for any length of time, the new club/group or association will need all the funds it can get to set up correctly.

Come chaps this is beginning to take off now :)

ATB

Mick

• Like 1

Lurcher is a recognised name that would be understood by Joe Blogs in the street but I feel the name is an aside at this stage. What’s more important is to get a group together and plan out a pathway that can achieve the aims that get set out. Things like a web page are key to getting the message across and things like names are important enough to be worth a bit of proper consideration and research rather than just what we think. How hard would it be to put out a small questionnaire on facebook or such like to see what the rest of the world think about the term lurcher and if they would recognise the term long dog, or think it means a sausage dog lol. Hence the idea of the groups meeting and going through this in a more considered and constructive way to make sure we get it right.

• Like 2

So are you guys splintering off and starting a new group with Alan ??? Because I was under the impression that five members of this site had been nominated and are due to hold a meeting to discuss a number of points, set an agenda and write a proposal to put before Tim bonner in a meeting to take place at a later date. No name has yet been decided for the new group, that will be done in the meeting, no membership details have been discussed that will be done at the meeting.

This all stemmed from dewclaw getting the ball rolling and the ball is gathering momentum rapidly, Flynn and leeveiw I don't understand where you are coming from ? You sound as though yourselves and Alan are making decisions about this new club ?????????

Tbh this needs taking off public forum and discussing because simply put; this isn't computing! Edited by mushroom
  • Like 2

I have a suggestion...Can the 5 names that have been put forward not get together with, Alan,Leeview and Flynn and have a bloody sit down and see what everyone has to offer and do a bit of idea swapping, or is it going to keep going round in circles on this thread.

The original 5 who were selected for a committee are meeting very soon ... A date has been set a venue chosen and once the meeting has taken place and all points raised have been decided and collated Alan Tyrer will be approached for his input ... Once we have found common ground and we know which direction we are going then all will be made public .......

• Like 4

In reply to maxhardcore, The reason that I feel that the name "Alliance for the working Longdog" is relevant is two fold:

1/ many hunters that use a running dog for coursing use not a Lurcher but a Longdog, ie: a Saluki, a whippet,(think of the many Whippet coursing and racing clubs) a greyhound, a saluki x Greyhound and there are many others. These other running Longdogs also need to be considered and supported. The owners of these other breeds want to fight for a repeal just as you do, so they too can continue with their sport. Do we discount them? The name Longdog has been used for many centuries to denote a hound that hunts by sight. the name longdog has a proud history and in my opinion makes an acceptable title that all coursing and hunting mem/women can relate to. A Lurcher is also a longdog but many longdogs are not Lurchers.

2/ One of the main problems that I found was when I spoke the word Lurcher, was that I was met with resentment from some of the fieldsport community. Many would say that the lurcher is a poachers dog. We know that is not always the case, but why make a rod for our own backs. We are proud of our working dogs,be they Lurchers, Whippets, or any of the other sighthounds and the owners of all must come together.

Having said that it up to you all to decide the name but do it ASAP.. Calling our organisation the Alliance of Working Lurchers would in my opinion be wrong and unfair to other users of coursing breeds, who only want to be counted in the fight for repeal. We don't all have Lurchers but we all have Longdogs.

Alan Tyer

Edited by courser