Where to find good lurchers

On 01/02/2024 at 10:57, Aussie Whip said:

Don't blame your mates, hares are sitting ducks in the beam.

Not in my neck of the woods they'll make a dog look like a c 

• Like 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had eight confirmed and two backfilled in a couple of hours one morning;   Cheers.

Maybe I should breed my own. Reckon I could get my hands on a retired greyhound bitch. If you want something done right you should do it yourself i was always told🙈🤣

Posted Images

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

We were beating a small conifer plantation in the middle of a huge area of arable hoping to flush a few ‘roos to run with the lurchers, but Sod’s law, there were hares shooting out in all directions but not a single ‘roo !

After I came home, I was talking to my Oz pal and he said he shot 25 hares at a farmer’s request, the lads I met had no interest in running hares, they were far more interested in fox and pig.

I was quite amazed at this as the huge areas of land and numbers of hares would be a paradise for coursing.

Cheers.

Did you ever go down the billabong 

1 hour ago, Penda said:

Did you ever go down the billabong 

Not exactly a billabong, but the foxes hung around the small reservoirs dotted around the place and there were some setts around the banking.

Only place I’ve seen black swans in the wild.

Cheers.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Whoknows said:

Mate of mine had 103 foxes for a weekend, pushing creeks and running stubbles. Heading over there this year for a few weeks foxing.

Crazy amount of game that, I'd be lucky enough to get the same number over a few years let alone a weekend!lol

57 minutes ago, Whoknows said:

Mate of mine had 103 foxes for a weekend, pushing creeks and running stubbles. Heading over there this year for a few weeks foxing.

We had eight confirmed and two backfilled in a couple of hours one morning;

03D84F16-7247-4C1F-B8FF-283B60A04E65.jpeg.0976e90ea688d767d9e91672993b1029.jpeg

BE8F1B7C-FF6F-4722-AE39-64659D027A71.jpeg.2a59b46a1c2837278d48c7f64de0fd69.jpeg

Cheers.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Deerhunter1 said:

If I was beating a plantation out for kangaroos I definitely wouldn’t be slipping on hares either

lol big useless things 

i prefer to watch a belting course with all the twist and turns something that takes some real killing from a dog that is at the top of its game 

to something slow absolutey no sport 

6 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

lol big useless things 

i prefer to watch a belting course with all the twist and turns something that takes some real killing from a dog that is at the top of its game 

to something slow absolutey no sport 

Daytime hares aren’t always belting courses, ive seen some absolutely useless dogs kill one from time to time. The attraction of kangaroos would be running a different quarry in a different country, not just the same old thing over and over again, but if variety isn’t your thing that’s fair enough.

Edited by Deerhunter1
11 minutes ago, Deerhunter1 said:

Daytime hares aren’t always belting courses, ive seen some absolutely useless dogs kill one from time to time. The attraction of kangaroos would be running a different quarry in a different country, not just the same old thing over and over again, but if variety isn’t your thing that’s fair enough.

100% correct !

Why would I slip on something that I can run anytime a few hundred yards from my house, when I have the chance to slip on something I went halfway round the world to experience ?

These were lads who’s main quarry is fox, but we’re good enough to indulge me on running something I might never get the chance to do again.

Cheers.

12 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

100% correct !

Why would I slip on something that I can run anytime a few hundred yards from my house, when I have the chance to slip on something I went halfway round the world to experience ?

These were lads who’s main quarry is fox, but we’re good enough to indulge me on running something I might never get the chance to do again.

Cheers.

Thats the way I’d look at it, but it would seem we are both wrong.

Even when you’ve travelled thousands of miles to run a particular quarry, and you’re literally seconds away from getting a chance at one, the daytime hare should take priority if it appears at any time. 

You’re never too old to learn 

• Haha 2