Where to find good lurchers

10 hours ago, chartpolski said:

We were beating a small conifer plantation in the middle of a huge area of arable hoping to flush a few ‘roos to run with the lurchers, but Sod’s law, there were hares shooting out in all directions but not a single ‘roo !

After I came home, I was talking to my Oz pal and he said he shot 25 hares at a farmer’s request, the lads I met had no interest in running hares, they were far more interested in fox and pig.

I was quite amazed at this as the huge areas of land and numbers of hares would be a paradise for coursing.

Cheers.

Where I was on the Western Plains you didn't get many hunters with dogs targeting roos, only some farmers who had the odd staghound. Roos aren't really considered game, just pests and dog food. Yeah mostly pigs and fox. I did know one bloke who was a dedicated roo hunter, he had deerhound/Irish greyhound crosses. It would be great ground there on the hares, there are plenty of them and big, flat land. I wouldn't hunt in the warmer months there, it is crawling with Eastern brown snakes apart from the heat.

• Like 2

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We had eight confirmed and two backfilled in a couple of hours one morning;   Cheers.

Maybe I should breed my own. Reckon I could get my hands on a retired greyhound bitch. If you want something done right you should do it yourself i was always told🙈🤣

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Deerhunter1 said:

Thats the way I’d look at it, but it would seem we are both wrong.

Even when you’ve travelled thousands of miles to run a particular quarry, and you’re literally seconds away from getting a chance at one, the daytime hare should take priority if it appears at any time. 

You’re never too old to learn 

id run the european brown hare before any f***ing kangaroo the thing wouldn’t get 100 yards lol 

6 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

id run the european brown hare before any f***ing kangaroo the thing wouldn’t get 100 yards lol 

It'd box fcuk out of your dogs, hit them so many times they'd think they're surrounded.

• Haha 3
14 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Where I was on the Western Plains you didn't get many hunters with dogs targeting roos, only some farmers who had the odd staghound. Roos aren't really considered game, just pests and dog food. Yeah mostly pigs and fox. I did know one bloke who was a dedicated roo hunter, he had deerhound/Irish greyhound crosses. It would be great ground there on the hares, there are plenty of them and big, flat land. I wouldn't hunt in the warmer months there, it is crawling with Eastern brown snakes apart from the heat.

Another time I was down there, not hunting, just visiting friends, a lad I knew who designed golf courses was taking us around and showing us some of the courses. I saw some big reds on one of the courses and he was pissed off ! He showed me pics of his Toyota pick up that he’d hit a red with..  it was a right off !

He didn’t like ‘roos !

Cheers.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Bobtheferret said:

I would think a roo is fair challenge for a dog, maybe not speed but they are fearsome beasts and will drown dingos and dogs and kick and punch them. Very powerful animals, @mC HULL seems to think no challenge I reckon that’s a tough do for most dogs. 

again mate that’s more few dogs ragging 

i like to see speed stamina something hard to get a hold of 

if i wanted to watch things fight back i’d get a gamebred dog and get it ready for the pit 

4 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

again mate that’s more few dogs ragging 

i like to see speed stamina something hard to get a hold of 

if i wanted to watch things fight back i’d get a gamebred dog and get it ready for the pit 

Apparently red kangaroo top speed 44 miles an hour and brown hare 44.2 miles an hour. That’s pretty fast….not saying they turn like a hare but definitely not slow! 

Apparently red kangaroo top speed 44 miles an hour and brown hare 44.2 miles an hour. That’s pretty fast….not saying they turn like a hare but definitely not slow! 

I don't believe that mate, the Dingo can catch them.

might hit thst  when they take off mate for 10 yards then they be half that from what i seen 

a bit like me lol

15 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

might hit thst  when they take off mate for 10 yards then they be half that from what i seen 

a bit like me lol

I didn't know you'd been down there, mate !

Who did you hunt with, I might know them.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

Another time I was down there, not hunting, just visiting friends, a lad I knew who designed golf courses was taking us around and showing us some of the courses. I saw some big reds on one of the courses and he was pissed off ! He showed me pics of his Toyota pick up that he’d hit a red with..  it was a right off !

He didn’t like ‘roos !

Cheers.

There are plenty of reds about in many areas here, I've seen a few in pine forest. I can relate to your friend, I was a greenkeeper for 30 odd years. Cats were bad on the greens scratching up the turf and you'd scalp the green when you cut it. I had a staff/cattle cross who I'd take to work to control the feral cats. We'd leave the foxes there, they also killed the cats, rabbits and you'd often find a cat in the bunkers with it's head chewed off, lol.

2 hours ago, mC HULL said:

My old pitbullmastiff could catch roos in under 50m and throw them around like a russell with a rat. He did this until he was 15, died at 18 in pic. He'd sneak up like a collie and catch the on a sprint.

IMG_0717.JPG

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mC HULL said:

a bit like me lol

Wallabies are fairly slow but the kangaroos are a lot bigger so I bet they’re not that slow