Old Grafters

20 minutes ago, mackem said:

Still happens in west-London Mel,money talks always.

It just all depends on the trucks mack. With our trucks , the office can see everything that you do , and hear every word you say . They can track you to the nearest couple of metres , from the second you put your key in the ignition.

It's a f***ing awful atmosphere to work in . 

• Sad 3

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same as me,punched my guts out since leaving school and planned to be  semi retired at 50, mortgage free and be able to pick and choose 2/3 days a week for beer money...the rest of my days will hopefu

Watched my ole fella bust a gut till he couldn't anymore, spent his last years with a knackered body and eventually a knackered mind, fcuk working till mid seventies.  I'll graft away till my you

I've been a binman for the last 23 years . It used to be a great job , with decent money , decent hours , and a great bunch of lads to work with . I'm  unbelievably bored with it now and i feckin hate

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, mel b said:

It just all depends on the trucks mack. With our trucks , the office can see everything that you do , and hear every word you say . They can track you to the nearest couple of metres , from the second you put your key in the ignition.

It's a f***ing awful atmosphere to work in . 

Thats why I left a well payed job in construction for a big name company...vans all tracked,watching every mile,clock watching breaks, every every cnut telling tales and wankers on the site/ management positions that dont know shit from toothpaste,more back stabbing than a factory or office..used to be a good craic,could have what you wanted within reason and if you didn't take the piss🙄swap the odd drum of derv for dog food etc...loads of coin to be earnt doing hobbles etc....those days are gone now unfortunately ...work for a smaller operation know,6 of us in the company,everyone knows their place and pulls their weight 😉👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Daniel cain said:

The bit about , being the only person they may speak too that day🥺....reminds me of my time working in London,using the tube in the morning...looking at some of those faces...Only rail staff making the effort and saying good morning etc 😔horrible lonely old place to life....we are  living in some sad times mate👍

I've only ever been to London a few times (as a visitor ) , and its really not the place for me.

i find it all very sad , and personally  very embarrassing .

My default setting,  is polite , pleasant,  and helpful . I'm a public servant,  and having to refuse help to members of the public makes me very uncomfortable. 

Doing things that 15 years ago would have got me a thumbs up and a pat on the back , will lose me my job and pension now.

It's probably made worse , because I know how it should be done , because I've done it the proper way , but now I have some pen pusher , with no real life experience,  telling me what to do.

• Sad 2
1 minute ago, mel b said:

I've only ever been to London a few times (as a visitor ) , and its really not the place for me.

i find it all very sad , and personally  very embarrassing .

My default setting,  is polite , pleasant,  and helpful . I'm a public servant,  and having to refuse help to members of the public makes me very uncomfortable. 

Doing things that 15 years ago would have got me a thumbs up and a pat on the back , will lose me my job and pension now.

It's probably made worse , because I know how it should be done , because I've done it the proper way , but now I have some pen pusher , with no real life experience,  telling me what to do.

I get you Mel👍

• Like 1

I’m 65 and still working. Could have taken my pension but I enjoy my job. I’ve been asked when I’m due to retire in a years time to stay on. When I think about it, I’ll have worked 50 years. That’s long enough isn’t it? There’s a guy working with me who’s 70. I can still get about on a fell after hounds 👍🏻

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, cragman said:

I’m 65 and still working. Could have taken my pension but I enjoy my job. I’ve been asked when I’m due to retire in a years time to stay on. When I think about it, I’ll have worked 50 years. That’s long enough isn’t it? There’s a guy working with me who’s 70. I can still get about on a fell after hounds 👍🏻

I can’t imagine you doing anything less to be honest 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, cragman said:

I'm envious . It's great to do something that you enjoy 👍.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, iworkwhippets said:

i did have a job at a local garage , odd job man, i enjoyed it, but had to give it up cos of hospital appointments,i start work for aldi in the new year, im 79

Never thowt day would ever come when I'd be shuffling shopping trolleys fer a supermarket, never thowt the day would ever come when I'd lose two wives, and four members of my family, .Ive been hospital quite a few times this year , and seen some sights, one old chap half his scalp missing, my last visit I sat next to a mum with her young daughter toes missing, hospital staff doctors nurses rushed off there feet, you have to witness it to believe it,    off topic this little outburst,   but there u go I'm alive n kicking.   JUST

• Sad 1
22 minutes ago, iworkwhippets said:

Never thowt day would ever come when I'd be shuffling shopping trolleys fer a supermarket, never thowt the day would ever come when I'd lose two wives, and four members of my family, .Ive been hospital quite a few times this year , and seen some sights, one old chap half his scalp missing, my last visit I sat next to a mum with her young daughter toes missing, hospital staff doctors nurses rushed off there feet, you have to witness it to believe it,    off topic this little outburst,   but there u go I'm alive n kicking.   JUST

Life takes some funny old turns mate , and it's good that you're still here to talk about it 👍👍👍.

3 hours ago, mel b said:

I've been a binman for the last 23 years . It used to be a great job , with decent money , decent hours , and a great bunch of lads to work with . I'm  unbelievably bored with it now and i feckin hate the place , but I'm just too old and knackered to look at retraining.

Financially I'm sound , I was mortgage free before I was 40 , but I always worry , just incase things go tits up.  I've been poor , and I really don't like it.

Why don't you apply for a job on the cleansing Mel, it's canny on the van clearing a few rough areas on the housing estates that the paraffins have lobbed their shite on, odd mattress here odd flagstone there etc, few tip runs a day 

2 hours ago, mel b said:

It used to be quite well paid years ago , and in all honesty , I'm on decent money because I've been there a long time , and im a hgv driver , but following a 10k pay cut and well below inflation pay rises for the last ten years , its pretty poor now.  I think my loaders earn about £11.50 per hour now , and most of them are agency workers that get laid off for around two months every year( a few days here and there). They also get spoken to and treated like absolute shit by the supervisors and management . They constantly get threatened and bullied. It's an absolute disgrace.

It's certainly not the job it was a few years ago.

You forgot the trackers n camera s on them inc the road sweepers 

12 minutes ago, low plains drifter said:

Why don't you apply for a job on the cleansing Mel, it's canny on the van clearing a few rough areas on the housing estates that the paraffins have lobbed their shite on, odd mattress here odd flagstone there etc, few tip runs a day 

I've thought about it a few times , but it's the money that puts me off . I'd be taking a 13k pay cut 😕

14 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

You forgot the trackers n camera s on them inc the road sweepers 

I mentioned them in an earlier post gl. It makes your working day very uncomfortable to know that one minor slip could lose my job and pension.

I bleed for you guys in shit jobs. And I've done everyone including a spell on the bins. I'm not being male menopausal honestly, or Victor Meldrew,but things have got really bad in the employment world and in the UK in general.

It f****n enrages me to see piss in plastic bottles by the side of major roads..truckers brew. Nowhere to stop,have a shower or a decent meal, without some without some office shite hawk tracking their every fart.

Thank f**k I'm out of it and retired. 

There needs to be a complete re _set,  so people realise how dependent they are on working people.

Where would we have been without truckers,supermarket workers,delivery workers,care workers and many others during the pandemic? 

Shit creek. Its getting like victorian times again.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3