Boar hunting with dogs in the UK ?

Seems ive read about y'all hunting everything from mice to deer with dogs over there but can't remember seeing any mention of dogs on boar. Was that done ? And if so how about was the process? More of a driven deal or like how we do with bay and catch dogs ?

Edited by Wolfdog91

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People in the UK aren't hungry, they are just fckin stupid. Food banks are just a politised weapon.  Try putting an advert on Facebook offering free pheasant,duck or rabbit.....watch the explosio

As I said on another thread, Australia encourages hunting, it’s illegal in the UK. Same with New Zealand, it’s legal to hunt Boars there, but illegal here, with draconian punishments! In New

Half the F**king idiots over here cant train their dogs to not kill sheep and other livestock so theyve got no chance of making them ignore other game

Posted Images

They are not particularly widespread in the UK but are found in small pockets in a couple of county’s, I know lads have targeted them but how they went about it I don’t know.

If you start from the premise of “everything is illegal in the UK” then you will understand how knowledge of some things isn’t widespread. 

• Wolfdog91 changed the title to Boar hunting with dogs in the UK ?
54 minutes ago, WILF said:

They are not particularly widespread in the UK but are found in small pockets in a couple of county’s, I know lads have targeted them but how they went about it I don’t know.

If you start from the premise of “everything is illegal in the UK” then you will understand how knowledge of some things isn’t widespread. 

I know people who have taken them regularly but like you say not much gets talked about it anymore like every other type of dog work 

• Like 3

There have been boar dogs imported to the UK. Amazes me how they focus on one prey animal when there are enticing smells of deer, fox, hare etc. I suppose its the same with foxhounds. They can run-through sheep and stay focused on fox...in theory. Working boar dogs here would be strictly under the radar.

Edited by jukel123
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They have become a real pest in some parts of the uk,get hammered but not enough to make a dent...same as the explosion of deer in the last 10 yrs...the shooters cant shoot them quickly enough...and struggle to sell the meat..most ends up as dog food...if you happened to come across one thats been injured by a car etc...you cant legally pts..you have to ring armed police or a vet comes out...meat is left to rot🥺f***ing madness mate...theres more than enough stuff in the countryside in the UK,to feed those who have the means... but they won't let us ...not that that will ever stop some folks.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

They have become a real pest in some parts of the uk,get hammered but not enough to make a dent...same as the explosion of deer in the last 10 yrs...the shooters cant shoot them quickly enough...and struggle to sell the meat..most ends up as dog food...if you happened to come across one thats been injured by a car etc...you cant legally pts..you have to ring armed police or a vet comes out...meat is left to rot🥺f***ing madness mate...theres more than enough stuff in the countryside in the UK,to feed those who have the means... but they won't let us ...not that that will ever stop some folks.

Could you just set up some kinda food bank donations deal or do y'all have pretty stringent stuff with government food health folks ?  Know in a lot of places over here where their a big problem they they shoot literal hundreds a week  there but hers and stuff that will take some time to prep the meat into sausage or what have you and donate it to needy families or food banks. Technically it's illegal in a lot of states due to not having USDA certified whatever but I mean if your in hard times and the nice guy from up the road brings you a cooler of sausage to stock up your freezer ...well .

I mean honestly I reckon if you word it right , " free range organic wild pork , ethically harvested , something something "

Think I remember talking to some Aussies who had luck doing that with nuisance rabbits. They where just giving them away skinned gutted and vacuum sealed. Need to see about finding them guys again and asking them about that 🤔

Reckon you could also compost the carcasses down or something else ....

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Could you just set up some kinda food bank donations deal or do y'all have pretty stringent stuff with government food health folks ?  Know in a lot of places over here where their a big problem they they shoot literal hundreds a week  there but hers and stuff that will take some time to prep the meat into sausage or what have you and donate it to needy families or food banks. Technically it's illegal in a lot of states due to not having USDA certified whatever but I mean if your in hard times and the nice guy from up the road brings you a cooler of sausage to stock up your freezer ...well .

I mean honestly I reckon if you word it right , " free range organic wild pork , ethically harvested , something something "

Think I remember talking to some Aussies who had luck doing that with nuisance rabbits. They where just giving them away skinned gutted and vacuum sealed. Need to see about finding them guys again and asking them about that 🤔

Reckon you could also compost the carcasses down or something else ....

To much red tape mate regarding food banks 

• Like 1

People in the UK aren't hungry, they are just fckin stupid. Food banks are just a politised weapon. 

Try putting an advert on Facebook offering free pheasant,duck or rabbit.....watch the explosion of hate 🤣

I can't even give free rainbow trout away 

• Like 12
2 minutes ago, DIDO.1 said:

People in the UK aren't hungry, they are just fckin stupid. Food banks are just a politised weapon. 

Try putting an advert on Facebook offering free pheasant,duck or rabbit.....watch the explosion of hate 🤣

I can't even give free rainbow trout away 

Your right mate if it don’t come out of greggs they won’t touch it. Place is going to shit here.

• Like 2

As I said on another thread, Australia encourages hunting, it’s illegal in the UK.

Same with New Zealand, it’s legal to hunt Boars there, but illegal here, with draconian punishments!

In New Zealand you just let the police and the forestry commission know when and where you’ll be hunting, and there’s even government huts provide free out in the bush if you overnight !

A few pics from the first time I was down there over 30 years ago ;

A75B2CFA-49F7-435B-B940-6118585C2C35.jpeg.408c72de17a0e45cbad55b42b4213ca2.jpeg

E8454BF6-5878-445F-A3DD-86B2C1DDC6DD.jpeg.af3517d8a174f756083ad580af47db0e.jpeg

C9FBE72C-B342-496F-81A9-34A82BC13B8A.jpeg.82760550306c23f8d305d7f4ca7f2836.jpeg

ADF6ED2F-19D4-4F26-9317-E5775FC6B8C1.jpeg.eae00f469f190a71f20b4b3c427064d6.jpeg

AAEC07E6-114E-457A-BFDF-60F8271061DC.jpeg.9437add42bd4a9510cd2f5c25a2ef4d8.jpeg

D0A4EDDC-F872-4BDE-82ED-FDF50BB1A6F3.jpeg.db491799e43f1a76eda4f933a1812f1a.jpeg

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 11
44 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

As I said on another thread, Australia encourages hunting, it’s illegal in the UK.

Same with New Zealand, it’s legal to hunt Boars there, but illegal here, with draconian punishments!

In New Zealand you just let the police and the forestry commission know when and where you’ll be hunting, and there’s even government huts provide free out in the bush if you overnight !

A few pics from the first time I was down there over 30 years ago ;

A75B2CFA-49F7-435B-B940-6118585C2C35.jpeg.408c72de17a0e45cbad55b42b4213ca2.jpeg

E8454BF6-5878-445F-A3DD-86B2C1DDC6DD.jpeg.af3517d8a174f756083ad580af47db0e.jpeg

C9FBE72C-B342-496F-81A9-34A82BC13B8A.jpeg.82760550306c23f8d305d7f4ca7f2836.jpeg

ADF6ED2F-19D4-4F26-9317-E5775FC6B8C1.jpeg.eae00f469f190a71f20b4b3c427064d6.jpeg

AAEC07E6-114E-457A-BFDF-60F8271061DC.jpeg.9437add42bd4a9510cd2f5c25a2ef4d8.jpeg

D0A4EDDC-F872-4BDE-82ED-FDF50BB1A6F3.jpeg.db491799e43f1a76eda4f933a1812f1a.jpeg

Cheers.

Very Hemingway. Only joking. I wish I had had your experiences.

Edited by jukel123
13 hours ago, jukel123 said:

There have been boar dogs imported to the UK. Amazes me how they focus on one prey animal when there are enticing smells of deer, fox, hare etc. I suppose its the same with foxhounds. They can run-through sheep and stay focused on sheep...in theory. Working boar dogs here would be strictly under the radar.

Cant see why anybody would want to import a type specifically to hunt just boar and nothing else.I wouldnt imagine that anybody can go at enough of them to keep a dog for just them,Especially when they can be taken with dogs that can be used for other stuff

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, downsouth said:

Cant see why anybody would want to import a type specifically to hunt just boar and nothing else.I wouldnt imagine that anybody can go at enough of them to keep a dog for just them,Especially when they can be taken with dogs that can be used for other stuff

My daughter imported her two dogs from Australia when she came home, and it was surprisingly  easy, if a bit expensive. 
I’ve got pals down there who would source me a good hunting bred pup,I’ve always fancied a catahoula pup, but, as you say, why go to all that bother when the right type can be sourced here ?

Cheers.

• Haha 1