Kennel bedding

I know its probably been asked multiple times but this forum could do with some life 😆

How many folk use heaters in their kennel beds and if so in what form? Tubular ? Bulb?

And what bedding do you all use?

Mine currently are on blankets, half temped to change them onto something loose for winter for a more of a snug nest.
Straw? Shredded paper?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always crate and house train any pups Ive had/even the ones ive bred myself  and been born outside... helps for when they bashed up and under a lamp resting ... always used 6/8" of dry shavings in t

Wax paper good stuff if you can source it , used to get bails from local feeds but they give up we it 

Posted Images

Try Gumtree then type in  Free you get loads of duvet covers sheets and towels just for picking up you can change them as needed and load them up when its colder .Only problem my wooden tops drag them out if its warm 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, dodger said:

Mine are also currently on blankets I usefully change to plenty of straw around mid October but with it being so mild I think I'll wait until next month so that they feel the benefit..

same here, what ive used for 10 years since ive lived here at this place by Hereford , are proper horse blanket , you prob seen then on the horses in the day thrown over them. there very good, got good lining in them, made from a canvas , so easy to keep clean, i just put on the kennel floor, and if really cold i put on my red heat lamp, but being honest bryn had good coat, and Buck deff , being 1/2 gsd  he handle cold wet no prob, i always like a lurcher with good coat for that very reason .:yes:   

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, bird said:

same here, what ive used for 10 years since ive lived here at this place by Hereford , are proper horse blanket , you prob seen then on the horses in the day thrown over them. there very good, got good lining in them, made from a canvas , so easy to keep clean, i just put on the kennel floor, and if really cold i put on my red heat lamp, but being honest bryn had good coat, and Buck deff , being 1/2 gsd  he handle cold wet no prob, i always like a lurcher with good coat for that very reason .:yes:   

And a drop of pit 

22 hours ago, dodger said:

Mine are also currently on blankets I usefully change to plenty of straw around mid October but with it being so mild I think I'll wait until next month so that they feel the benefit..

Do you find they get it all over the pens much? the straw

23 hours ago, ferret333 said:

Do you find they get it all over the pens much? the straw

No not really not clogging drain up or anything and even better now as iv invested in a couple of those raised pallet boxes thar they use in warehouse were you can drop the sides down so hardly any strat at all comes out now apart from what I drop when I change it.

24 minutes ago, dodger said:

No not really not clogging drain up or anything and even better now as iv invested in a couple of those raised pallet boxes thar they use in warehouse were you can drop the sides down so hardly any strat at all comes out now apart from what I drop when I change it.

Got pic dodger ? 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, dodger said:

Yrs ago,I went with a mate to get his pup jabbed...ended up in a garage in a back garden of a  known coursing man..I remember he had them plastic pallet crates side by side,all long the walls of this building..dog in each one..it was their bed and run🙈Ive never smelt a smell like it...and I've ratted,dug and played with other folks shit for yrs 🤢....and to top it off...my pals pup that the bloke stood and jabbed Infront of us.. caught parvo and died....kid you not...

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Yrs ago,I went with a mate to get his pup jabbed...ended up in a garage in a back garden of a  known coursing man..I remember he had them plastic pallet crates side by side,all long the walls of this building..dog in each one..it was their bed and run🙈Ive never smelt a smell like it...and I've ratted,dug and played with other folks shit for yrs 🤢....and to top it off...my pals pup that the bloke stood and jabbed Infront of us.. caught parvo and died....kid you not...

Ffs

34 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Ffs

I once went to the yard of a very well known local greyhound trainer, This place was a shit hole and absolutely infested with rats. As for bedding i always used shredded wax paper on raised beds with a board across the front. All went to shit when the dogs were wet though as it stuck to the dogs and then dropped off all over the kennels as they dried, If you didn't keep on top of it, it would block the drains, I never used heating with fit adult dogs and they never suffered without it, But again mine were always kennelled together, so shared body heat, 

Get ready for the horror stories of kennelling dogs together Lol, I had very little issues only the usual pecking order disputes that usually involved the odd bloody muzzle but then again i was not daft enough to kennel dogs of the same age, size and weight together. I once had 2 big lurcher dogs,  Father and son kennelled together, at the time i had a little smooth coated Patterdale bitch, She use to sleep in there kennel at times, Only thing is she kept them off the bed board and they slept on the floor underneath it. Funny things dogs Lol.