Working whippets

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

back in the good old days, ferrets n whippet, having fun

Flynn , a dog who I was lucky enough to spend 14yrs with , had some memorable times with him , epitomised man’s best friend.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, chartpolski said:

To be honest, it’s hounds for grounds, I couldn’t compare them.

I enjoyed the whippets as I could run a hare or two during the week and race them at the weekend. 
Seeing a deer/grey in full flight on a daytime roe or hare is a grand sight.

I ran the Salukis in the Middle East and I had to put many miles in just to get a run, but it was something I enjoyed. 
Basically I just love running dogs and I don’t think the different types can be compared.

It would be daft to compare a saluki and a whippet running hares on the fens, but a whippet can give a great few runs on the smaller fields. 
I’ve ran deer x’s on rabbits on golf courses, but couldn’t compare them to a whippet.

Doesn't mean you can’t have fun whatever dog you’ve got or whatever you run !

Cheers.

You've had some fun mate..

• Like 1
On 08/09/2023 at 12:04, gasaxeman said:

Seeing as I am semi retired 2 days a week working. and having lost my last dog a month ago looking to aquire a whippet or  2 as my wife is home everyday also . I am looking to purchase around Xmas time or just after as I have a free calender till autumn next year . With them hopefully being ready for the job autumn the year after that . ground were I am is small fields hedgerows bramble etc . There is a breeder I am in contact with but unfortunately his bitch hasn't come into season yet so in contact with him every fortnight. Just putting feelers out in case I need a plan B .

On 08/09/2023 at 12:04, gasaxeman said:

Seeing as I am semi retired 2 days a week working. and having lost my last dog a month ago looking to aquire a whippet or  2 as my wife is home everyday also . I am looking to purchase around Xmas time or just after as I have a free calender till autumn next year . With them hopefully being ready for the job autumn the year after that . ground were I am is small fields hedgerows bramble etc . There is a breeder I am in contact with but unfortunately his bitch hasn't come into season yet so in contact with him every fortnight. Just putting feelers out in case I need a plan B .

Hope you find what your looking for gasaxeman

On 08/09/2023 at 12:47, OldPhil said:

Super wee dogs, Whippets and similar small hybrids....I wish you great sport.....🙏

photo 23- Hard Blood racing whippet.jpg

Brian has primed his charge alright, mile upon mile of unyielding 3X2 and 2X2 of council lain flagstone striding out in well seasoned slip on disciplined unison man and ward

2 minutes ago, dodger said:

They was a great stamp wasn't they, two ladies if I remember in Lincs 

Wasnt they killed and it was on crime watch Paul

Laguna was the kennel club prefix of a coursing kennel. A dog called Sooty Sam was given to an individual who then went on to produce a line himself but still sort of using the Laguna prefix. I believe that line is still going, The last time i looked into it the Laguna line was now being bred Cornwall way producing show Whippets. But that was a good while ago now. I had a bitch out of Sooty Sam to a Dam called Silk Cut Lady. late 80`s early 90`s, She was a cracking rabbiting dog. Sadly she developed spine problems aged around 7, so i retired her to my brother as a pet, By that that time she looked like she had done 7 rounds with Edward Scissor Hands Lol

5 minutes ago, paulus said:

Laguna was the kennel club prefix of a coursing kennel. A dog called Sooty Sam was given to an individual who then went on to produce a line himself but still sort of using the Laguna prefix. I believe that line is still going, The last time i looked into it the Laguna line was now being bred Cornwall way producing show Whippets. But that was a good while ago now. I had a bitch out of Sooty Sam to a Dam called Silk Cut Lady. late 80`s early 90`s, She was a cracking rabbiting dog. Sadly she developed spine problems aged around 7, so i retired her to my brother as a pet, By that that time she looked like she had done 7 rounds with Edward Scissor Hands Lol

Have 1st cross Laguna sire to a pup I'm looking at, and you'll never guess where in the country that is 😃

26 minutes ago, paulus said:

👍