Produce your own.........

1 hour ago, ryaldinhio said:

Also picked these up, £15 for the three. I'm not sure where I want my final composting set up so these will be ideal coz I can lift and shift if needed.

20230926_185229.jpg

Have you seen the worm bins made out of IBC tanks mate ?….I’m going and doing one for when I put my new poly tunnel up.

Compost in the top turned to worm cast and turn the tap at the bottom for worm “tea” to pour on the plants……bonus is, load of free worms for fishing.

They look a handy job, look them up on YouTube 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Have you seen the worm bins made out of IBC tanks mate ?….I’m going and doing one for when I put my new poly tunnel up.

Compost in the top turned to worm cast and turn the tap at the bottom for worm “tea” to pour on the plants……bonus is, load of free worms for fishing.

I haven't but will definitely have a look at that. Often considered worm farming for my own fishing bait 👍

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Yeah it’s really good for the carp when you cast across into a chalky pond and start to ….zzzzzzzzzzhhhhhhzzzzzhhhhhh

😂😂

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Higher risk of getting blackhead 👍

Considering I'm culling these at Xmas and my chickens are young birds so hopefully not carrying the ringworm issue is this a lower risk? 

Open to any advice.....however would be struggling to split these now. But future broods could be kept seperate.

43 minutes ago, WILF said:

Any decent links wilf?

Just been looking and plenty short ones on there of how to make em but none of how to manage em, feed em, farm em etc....unless that is just a more general 'worm farm' video. 

Not something I've ever really looked into before, but if can get a good supply of compost and worms then def interesting topic.

2 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Any decent links wilf?

Just been looking and plenty short ones on there of how to make em but none of how to manage em, feed em, farm em etc....unless that is just a more general 'worm farm' video. 

Not something I've ever really looked into before, but if can get a good supply of compost and worms then def interesting topic.

There’s plenty of info on the net about how to manage vermicomposting bins mate.

just Google and bingo 👍

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

Not much going on this weekend, I put my back out last week so been very light duties!

Pigs and hens are growing fast. Feel like can see it almost daily.

Looks like 10 of 12 eggs in the incubator are fertile so 🤞

20231001_174038.jpg

20231001_174057.jpg

Good luck mate, really hope it works out for you.  👍

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

How you progressing mate ?…..hopefully not too many fun and games ?

I had a couple of years out of keeping animals to reset and re-evaluate, just went and got 2 new ram lambs.

Ill fetch them on, keep the best and sell the other.

Now to find a few ewes to go with whatever one I keep, not too many only a few.

Pigs next and cattle (dairy bulls for veal) around spring when they have been born.

44D2CF2B-245C-49FE-862D-64E236ABDFA3.jpeg.27defc9a016227902bd7dc1274b865f3.jpeg

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, WILF said:

How you progressing mate ?…..hopefully not too many fun and games ?

I had a couple of years out of keeping animals to reset and re-evaluate, just went and got 2 new ram lambs.

Ill fetch them on, keep the best and sell the other.

Now to find a few ewes to go with whatever one I keep, not too many only a few.

Pigs next and cattle (dairy bulls for veal) around spring when they have been born.

44D2CF2B-245C-49FE-862D-64E236ABDFA3.jpeg.27defc9a016227902bd7dc1274b865f3.jpeg

Ronnie and reggie there

1 hour ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Ronnie and reggie there

Got them off a West Ham season ticket holder half way up a mountain in Mayo would you believe!, turns out the bloke used to live down the road to me ! Talk about small world…..so was going to go for Bobby & Geoff but my little lad decided Tim & Jim ! Lol 

• Haha 2