Produce your own.........

Be careful with that. 

I got a letter about 18 month ago asking me exactly that . I was the only one on the street who got it. Which was random. 

I haven’t kept chickens for at least 20 years and was in a different county in the uk when I did. The only way o can think they got my details is that I used to buy the odd thing from the vets for them . Was never in a club or anything 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Well, I have promised some cooked produce photos. Tonight's tea, double pork chops....... Bloody gorgeous and now I am stuffed! Genuinly have grown to appreciate food more. We have all got u

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

At the minute I think you can keep up to 49 birds without registering. My plan is to keep a dozen layers and a couple Cockerells and some growers for the freezer, I'm having to manage it to stay below the 50 No for reg. Bear in mind this is all live birds so I am up to 34 at the minute and nearly half of them are chicks which are the next generation but no use for eggs or meat at the minute. Would def go over 50 to do what I wanna do and this on a really small scale so they already have it controlled IF people register or even know.

The system is set up to stop people producing their own and not needing the system!!!!

I won't be registering unless they come knocking on my door.

I understand and fully support disease control etc but everything is going to far. 

We are guna end up like Robin Hood hiding in the woods.

• Like 6

i used to keep gingers and oeg banties and i would cresote the inside of the coop and a large shed, would also coat the perch ends, an old guy who had kept birds all his life told me to get a can of big red  for treating fleas and lice including their eggs for use indoors its for dogs , anyway a squirt round the vent and a wee dab under the wings did the trick.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Franks dad said:

Big dollop of Vaseline around the ends  of the roosting perches also stops red mite from getting to them  if it’s a roomy coop 

Vaseline works well to trapping red mite I used to breed red canarys for the show bench and I used to use wooden box breeding cages originally before going over to Italian wire cages the wood ones are bad for harbouring red mite I used to use Vaseline on the back of the nest pans when breeding and on the end of the wooden perches 

• Like 1

I use ivermectin drops one drop on the birds' skin between the shoulders . You have to do it once a week for 3 weeks , I do a deep clean and dissenfect at the same time 

• Like 2

Heads up boys, anyone considering a few hens they are changing the rules. Used to be over 50 but from October now any/all birds kept are to be registered with DEFRA!

They will do anything to make it harder for people to provide for themselves.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, ryaldinhio said:

Heads up boys, anyone considering a few hens they are changing the rules. Used to be over 50 but from October now any/all birds kept are to be registered with DEFRA!

the country is f****d 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks good mate.  Am going to get a few pigs this year, done them before and worth the effort.  A bit of new fencing to sort and away we go .

• Like 3
9 hours ago, bell said:

Looks good mate.  Am going to get a few pigs this year, done them before and worth the effort.  A bit of new fencing to sort and away we go .

Pig feed not cheep now am paying 12.50 a sack , started getting out of date bred , veg an fruit for free from community centre bringing cost down to feed pigs 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, tank34 said:

Pig feed not cheep now am paying 12.50 a sack , started getting out of date bred , veg an fruit for free from community centre bringing cost down to feed pigs 

That’s the way mate

• Like 1
On 22/03/2024 at 20:22, ryaldinhio said:

That’s what the link dc posted on Wednesday was saying mate

its a load of shit ain’t it I can’t see how someone that keeps a small flock for eggs is a problem tbh I can understand these large commercial units having to register as there’s ££££ an someone has to foot the bill for losses or subsidys or contracts not met but with the amount of migrant birds carrying it there never control it plus the amount of poultry products imported that have lower standards than the uk it’s all a waste of time  I personally think it’s a form of taxable control coming to the normal man that wants to live a bit of the good life  

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, poxon said:

That’s what the link dc posted on Wednesday was saying mate

its a load of shit ain’t it I can’t see how someone that keeps a small flock for eggs is a problem tbh I can understand these large commercial units having to register as there’s ££££ an someone has to foot the bill for losses or subsidys or contracts not met but with the amount of migrant birds carrying it there never control it plus the amount of poultry products imported that have lower standards than the uk it’s all a waste of time  I personally think it’s a form of taxable control coming to the normal man that wants to live a bit of the good life  

Totally agree mate. A couple of hens at the allotments is not the problem regards bird flu!!! They just want to make it as hard as possible for the normal bloke.

Similar to not being able to feed pigs kitchen scraps. That was the norm for years, the "cottagers pig" and there were no issues. Because some bell end down south was importing wagon loads of food waste from France and caused foot and mouth they carte blanch apply a new law. Then people with little knowledge jump on the band wagon when you feed them carved pumpkins "if they have been in a kitchen and carved with a knife they are deemed kitchen waste".....f**k off! That isn't guna start foot and mouth!!!

If its for your own consumption best off just cracking on and keeping quiet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2