Produce your own.........

marans,light sussex,black rocks,warrens ....or any of those xs...I used to have a few cuckoo marans, always had double yolkers from them and the little OEG bantams👍

• Like 2

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Well, I have promised some cooked produce photos. Tonight's tea, double pork chops....... Bloody gorgeous and now I am stuffed! Genuinly have grown to appreciate food more. We have all got u

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

Thinking back,the Oeg bantam hens where that  light wheaton colour...the cockerels were mad little things lol...show them a Shamo cock.... and they  would want a scratch 🙈🤣 the 1 we called Kenny,was a right character....even try and smash up the bull xs😁

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Francie, said:

What breed of chicken would yous recommend lads,preferably ones that stay on the ground lol

Depending what you want you can get breed more specific to laying, can get yr old Warren's for 5quid a hen round me, Ince you have nursed em.to health they will lay well for a few yrs still. I went for light sussex as they are dual purpose, for meat and eggs as I want both. I get 5-6 eggs a week per hen so just under 1 a day. Good solid bird, handles the cold and lays all year (some stop in winter). Nice looking bird aswell which isn't important but helps with the misus.

As some have said chickens will clear the ground they are on so either put them on slabs/concrete and feed em well or of your only having a few make a pen that can be moved, check out chicken tractors on YouTube etc.

You can free range depending on size of your place but they will gradually get further and further afield. We often have next doors chickens around ours and they are 300 yard down lane.

You can get an auto opener/closer on pen BUT they still need checking. They don't work 100% of time but it does ease the burden a bit.

Keep em clean and give em somewhere to keep their feet dry.

Worst thing is mites, they are a nightmare to get rid of so best to go for preventative measures. Mite powder in a dust bath, spray coops down internally with a mixture of veg oil and washing powder, on end of runs put double sided sticky tape. Combination of the above should stop it ever being an issue.

Main advice I would give, which is same for any livestock really, best thing is spend time with them that way you learn the norm so you can quickly spot when something isn't right.

We have Cockerell as we are away from.any other houses. He doesn't wake us up, we are used to the noises round here! Cockerells don't serve a purpose unless you want fertile eggs so if your not wanting to hatch your own then only get hens.

Chickens are great fun to keep, low input and eggs that are 10× better than shop shite. IMO well worth it.

• Like 3

Dug a small pond yrs ago and we kept ducks and chickens..the duck eggs were great especially as the wife was baking a lot with them..

I used to eat to many though I think as I was having a few boils..maybe over dose on duck eggs lol

12 hours ago, Francie, said:

What breed of chicken would yous recommend lads,preferably ones that stay on the ground lol

Just clip the wings 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Depending what you want you can get breed more specific to laying, can get yr old Warren's for 5quid a hen round me, Ince you have nursed em.to health they will lay well for a few yrs still. I went for light sussex as they are dual purpose, for meat and eggs as I want both. I get 5-6 eggs a week per hen so just under 1 a day. Good solid bird, handles the cold and lays all year (some stop in winter). Nice looking bird aswell which isn't important but helps with the misus.

As some have said chickens will clear the ground they are on so either put them on slabs/concrete and feed em well or of your only having a few make a pen that can be moved, check out chicken tractors on YouTube etc.

You can free range depending on size of your place but they will gradually get further and further afield. We often have next doors chickens around ours and they are 300 yard down lane.

You can get an auto opener/closer on pen BUT they still need checking. They don't work 100% of time but it does ease the burden a bit.

Worst thing is mites, they are a nightmare to get rid of so best to go for preventative measures. Mite powder in a dust bath, spray coops down internally with a mixture of veg oil and washing powder, on end of runs put double sided sticky tape. Combination of the above should stop it ever being an issue.

Main advice I would give, which is same for any livestock really, best thing is spend time with them that way you learn the norm so you can quickly spot when something isn't right.

We have Cockerell as we are away from.any other houses. He doesn't wake us up, we are used to the noises round here! Cockerells don't serve a purpose unless you want fertile eggs so if your not wanting to hatch your own then only get hens.

Chickens are great fun to keep, low input and eggs that are 10× better than shop shite. IMO well worth it.

Mite powder is not good for birds , creasort the old stuff I use paint coop out before put birds in , summer time clean out blowtorch coop then jet wash out , keeps mites at bay 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

marans,light sussex,black rocks,warrens ....or any of those xs...I used to have a few cuckoo marans, always had double yolkers from them and the little OEG bantams👍

1 hour ago, Chid said:

Just clip the wings 

46 minutes ago, tank34 said:

Mite powder is not good for birds , creasort the old stuff I use paint coop out before put birds in , summer time clean out blowtorch coop then jet wash out , keeps mites at bay 

12 hours ago, king said:

Dug a small pond yrs ago and we kept ducks and chickens..the duck eggs were great especially as the wife was baking a lot with them..

I used to eat to many though I think as I was having a few boils..maybe over dose on duck eggs lol

12 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Thsnk you lads

• Like 2

Moved 7 chicks from brooder to main coop today. 6 weeks old. This will free up the big brooder to move the chicks into from the little brooder. The production line is going now.

Screenshot_20240316_190555_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_190633_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_190536_Gallery.jpg

20240316_143410.jpg

• Like 10
2 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Moved 7 chicks from brooder to main coop today. 6 weeks old. This will free up the big brooder to move the chicks into from the little brooder. The production line is going now.

Screenshot_20240316_190555_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_190633_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240316_190536_Gallery.jpg

20240316_143410.jpg

Good stuff mate your flying

27 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Just seen this 🤔

WWW.FWI.CO.UK

All poultrykeepers will be required to log their flocks on the national register this autumn – even if they own just a few...

Sounds abit like another form of control over people that keep a few for eggs tbh 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1