Produce your own.........

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Seems to be a big up take for threads on off grid living or self sustainability so thought I would stick it in here lads because the 'living of land and game cooking' section doesn't get much traffic

Ohhhh yesss!!!!

Posted Images

59 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

My only advice if your keeping them in a residential garden would be to make sure, whatever you lock them away at night has perches off the ground and is blacked out to f**k...soon as the fuckers see a crack of light...they be making a noise and wanting to be let out😉👍

Otherwise it dont take long to piss off the neighbours ...even when they getting cheap/free eggs...no cnut wants waking up at 4am 😁👍

I dont want the males mate lol just the layers

59 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

The f***ing hens are noisy as f**k too mate 😉👍

Me and a mate bought a bantam cock at the 2008 welsh game fair.  Put him in one of the bedrooms in our tent overnight.

Little c**t woke us and other people in tents up at 3.45 am next morning!!  Lol

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Francie, said:

Great topic this lads 

I'm thinking of getting couple of laying hens for the yard,its concrete st the minute,tho I was thinking of building a pen an using blocks to hold in some soil for them to rummage on,is this viable?,a lot of cats around so I'd need to roof it.

If yous kind lads with your wisdom give me some tips on how to look after them,what they need an what to look out for would be great,I'm a novice so all info welcome.

Ps fed up of buying eggs I'd rather produce me own lol

Better kept on concrete in my opinion than on dirt as the ground goes sour an harbours disease your better off adding scratch materials like grass clippings/straw/sawdust or leafs 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, poxon said:

Better kept on concrete in my opinion than on dirt as the ground goes sour an harbours disease your better off adding scratch materials like grass clippings/straw/sawdust or leafs 

Does that mean then I'd have to feed them bags of stuff instead of stuff they do find in the dirt,or would they just wreck the grass anyway lol

21 minutes ago, Francie, said:

Does that mean then I'd have to feed them bags of stuff instead of stuff they do find in the dirt,or would they just wreck the grass anyway lol

Get a trio.that won't be to much work.not all hen breeds are noisy. great little pets.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, Francie, said:

Feed them all your kitchen waste and veg peel,any old fruit and layers pellets,fresh water everyday....they will wreck your lawn and starve to death if they had to survive from dirt alone😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Francie, said:

No mate they will get the pots & pans out and knock themselves up a fry up.

• Haha 2

Finished the bee keeping course last night. Very interesting subject. I won't be pursuing it right now but think I will in the future. I thought it was stick some bees in a box and later in the year get some honey. It's a lot more intensive than that and I have enough plates spinning at the minute. Glad I did the course instead of reading up a bit and getting some hives!

20240315_065530.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Francie, said:

there layer’s pellets contain all they need for egg production you’d have to feed that anyway they’d not find enough food scratching about in the dirt that’s just supplementary food stuffs and morsels. Mate you won’t believe the amount of damage an  land they could clear once they get to work hens are a busy animal. I’ve got 3layers i keep them in a omlet cube on hard standing with scratch material in the run I dump food waste in the run for them to eat an scratch. every month or month an a half it gets dug out an on to the compost heap I’d not recommend having them free roaming if you have a cared for garden there soon have it looking like baron land with dust baths everywhere. 

• Like 3