• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No need to mind is made up just trying to get to get a post going  but no point place is f..ked 

God knows why it's upside down,  without incriminating myself I can guarantee they're more than capable at retrieving shot foxes

I’ve seen a lot of feet, tendon and muscle injuries, especially dropped graccillis, on non ped whippets, more so on the extremely fast ones. I put this down to the fact they spend most of there t

26 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

He put a non ped whip over his first X Speckle, got a good catch dog but the cross undid what he was trying to achieve, apologies if I've worded that wrong O P

I'm guessing feet? My own top flight non ped (80's to early 90's) was game and ultra fast but unfortunately, could injure herself walking through an open gate.

• Like 2

My brother got one solid little thing never seen any work but he keeps it fit as out reckon he’d punch above his weight and his feet are great 

whining pain in the arse but that’s probs not his fault definitely full of frustration and needs grafted and a couple times a week wouldn’t be a enough I wouldn’t think 

• Sad 1
11 hours ago, Maximus Ferret said:

I'm guessing feet? My own top flight non ped (80's to early 90's) was game and ultra fast but unfortunately, could injure herself walking through an open gate.

I was once chatting to a whippet breeder (pure and crosses) who said that she invariably found the worst feet on her cross-breds. Her belief was that working and coursing bred whippets had good feet as they ran on a variety of surfaces whereas racing bred greyhounds didn't have to have such good feet. She was quick to point out that this wasn't always the case, simply that it was her findings based on the average foot quality of each type.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Neal said:

I was once chatting to a whippet breeder (pure and crosses) who said that she invariably found the worst feet on her cross-breds. Her belief was that working and coursing bred whippets had good feet as they ran on a variety of surfaces whereas racing bred greyhounds didn't have to have such good feet. She was quick to point out that this wasn't always the case, simply that it was her findings based on the average foot quality of each type.

I’ve seen a lot of feet, tendon and muscle injuries, especially dropped graccillis, on non ped whippets, more so on the extremely fast ones.

I put this down to the fact they spend most of there time on a lead and the rest of the time running in a straight line. We didn’t seem to have those problems many years ago when I had them and they were multi purpose coursing, hunting AND racing dogs.

Cheers.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, chartpolski said:

I’ve seen a lot of feet, tendon and muscle injuries, especially dropped graccillis, on non ped whippets, more so on the extremely fast ones.

I put this down to the fact they spend most of there time on a lead and the rest of the time running in a straight line. We didn’t seem to have those problems many years ago when I had them and they were multi purpose coursing, hunting AND racing dogs.

Cheers.

we’re they ever coursing dogs of any quality chart ? 

6 hours ago, mC HULL said:

we’re they ever coursing dogs of any quality chart ? 

Let’s not make this a “whippet v Saluki; which is best hare dog ? “ thing.

My point was that the old non-ped whippet was an “all rounder” , a more versatile dog than the modern version. Which in my opinion lead them to be less injury prone .

There main purpose was to race, but could also put a rabbit, hare or even in some cases , a roe in the bag.

I had a few non-peds that were quite proficient at taking daytime hare, but as I moved away from racing and more into hunting and coursing I turned to purpose bred lurchers.

Today the people who race non-ped whippets are only interested in out and out speed over 150 yards and wouldn’t dream of coursing their dogs.

Cheers.

• Like 4
On 23/07/2023 at 06:46, chartpolski said:

Let’s not make this a “whippet v Saluki; which is best hare dog ? “ thing.

My point was that the old non-ped whippet was an “all rounder” , a more versatile dog than the modern version. Which in my opinion lead them to be less injury prone .

There main purpose was to race, but could also put a rabbit, hare or even in some cases , a roe in the bag.

I had a few non-peds that were quite proficient at taking daytime hare, but as I moved away from racing and more into hunting and coursing I turned to purpose bred lurchers.

Today the people who race non-ped whippets are only interested in out and out speed over 150 yards and wouldn’t dream of coursing their dogs.

Cheers.

True words,.....I had several, well bred, Race Whippets in the 1980's....

Whilst most of my fellow racers, kept 'on track',...I deviated,...and went in search of Hares.....

Caught a few,..but inevitably, fecked up most of my runners....

I cant even plead the folly of youth,..I was not a young kid,...just too keen on the hunt....

But, you live and learn,..unfortunately to the cost of your poor old jukels.....?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4