Had a good haul today 14 different species I went over to this place in the link below I would normally walk for miles over there but serious thunderstorms this was just hanging the app out of the car I reckon I could have got a lot more if I went for a wander, It’s such a good app.

Corn Bunting

Eurasian Linnet

Black Headed Gull

Eurasian Skylark

Common Sandpiper 

House Sparrow

Common Cuckoo

Eurasian Oystercatcher 

Common Wood Pigeon 

Reed Bunting

Eurasian Collared Dove

Eurasian Black Bird

European Goldfinch 

Eurasian Blue Tit

• Like 7

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

People on the meateater podcast have been raving about it . You hold your phone out with the app open and recording and it will tell you every bird noise around you and identify each bird . If theirs

Had a good haul today 14 different species I went over to this place in the link below I would normally walk for miles over there but serious thunderstorms this was just hanging the app out of the car

We are currently working on a very old property ,flag stone courtyard and ashlar walls .The owner said he had a few house martins arrive and so I suggested putting down a bag of top soil suitably damp

Posted Images

I'm still taking mine with a pinch of salt. 

As I said before, it's great for letting me know what MIGHT be there so that I can check it but I certainly wouldn't trust it as a way of recording a definitive list of species in a particular area.

Two examples:

Last Sunday it repeatedly picked up a redstart. I must admit I didn't have my binoculars with me, but I couldn't see one anywhere. At the time it was also picking up several other species. As I was doing a circular route, and it was the entry point to that particular piece of woodland, I decided to switch the app back on as I approached the same spot. Fortunately there was only one pair of birds calling at the time and it immediately came up with redstart again. As the two birds called to each other from either side of the path the name was repeatedly re-hi-lighted (is that a word??). I still couldn't make them out in much detail but they looked more like a yellow/green warbler than a redstart. All of a sudden the app momentarily added willow warbler (while only one of the two 'redstarts' was calling) but didn't hi-light it again. I finally got a decent view of them and I'd say they were definitely warblers. On playing back some of the prerecorded calls on the app I discovered that two calls of the two species are very similar but one is slightly faster (can't remember which way round). I have to admit that my two willow warblers did genuinely sound more like the recording of the redstart though, so that mistake is understandable. At one point they even seemed to reply to my redstart call on the app!

The other example(s) all seem to stem from blackbirds. Now sometimes they do the typical "oh, that's a blackbird" song but several are obviously more into free jazz (with a bit of scat thrown in). As a result I've picked up golden oriole, rose necked parakeet, oystercatcher and several other species which were definitely not in the area while a blackbird was going freelance.?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Neal said:

I'm still taking mine with a pinch of salt. 

As I said before, it's great for letting me know what MIGHT be there so that I can check it but I certainly wouldn't trust it as a way of recording a definitive list of species in a particular area.

Two examples:

Last Sunday it repeatedly picked up a redstart. I must admit I didn't have my binoculars with me, but I couldn't see one anywhere. At the time it was also picking up several other species. As I was doing a circular route, and it was the entry point to that particular piece of woodland, I decided to switch the app back on as I approached the same spot. Fortunately there was only one pair of birds calling at the time and it immediately came up with redstart again. As the two birds called to each other from either side of the path the name was repeatedly re-hi-lighted (is that a word??). I still couldn't make them out in much detail but they looked more like a yellow/green warbler than a redstart. All of a sudden the app momentarily added willow warbler (while only one of the two 'redstarts' was calling) but didn't hi-light it again. I finally got a decent view of them and I'd say they were definitely warblers. On playing back some of the prerecorded calls on the app I discovered that two calls of the two species are very similar but one is slightly faster (can't remember which way round). I have to admit that my two willow warblers did genuinely sound more like the recording of the redstart though, so that mistake is understandable. At one point they even seemed to reply to my redstart call on the app!

The other example(s) all seem to stem from blackbirds. Now sometimes they do the typical "oh, that's a blackbird" song but several are obviously more into free jazz (with a bit of scat thrown in). As a result I've picked up golden oriole, rose necked parakeet, oystercatcher and several other species which were definitely not in the area while a blackbird was going freelance.?

Redstart is the zeeping noise a chaffinch occasionally makes. Mine wrongly ids it. 

• Like 4
13 hours ago, bell said:

Redstart is the zeeping noise a chaffinch occasionally makes. Mine wrongly ids it. 

15 hours ago, EDDIE B said:

Mine's still picking up mallard. Think its the feckin dogs pantings ?

These are the kind of things I'm getting too. I'm certainly not saying it's rubbish: I think it's an amazing app and (as others have said) I'd probably pay for it if it wasn't free, but I think it could be a case of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" for those with little previous knowledge of birds.

Eddie; re your mallard...mine picked up a woodcock in my local wood early one morning. Now I'm not saying there are no woodcock in this wood (it's the kind of habitat you'd expect to find them) but I've got dogs which regularly raise both woodcock locally and snipe (or jack snipe?) on Dartmoor, and I've never found one in this wood after living here for seventeen years and walking in it at leads twice every day. My only thought was that I was wearing new boots and the tongue was squeaking against the outer layer of leather.? 

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 08/07/2023 at 10:44, Neal said:

That's it! I give up!

Last Sunday...booted eagle in the local wood.?

This morning, just as I was leaving the wood, I could hear several crows heckling something. By the time I reached the road the noise had become louder and was suddenly joined by a distressed blood-curdling scream. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw a huge bird (mobbed by crows) taking off from the trees on the very edge of the wood. For a fraction of a second I thought 'bloody hell! the app was right! an escaped booted eagle has been living in the woods!' But then I realised what it was...a heron.? They always look so much bigger up close. It flew off with two crows in pursuit and one came back about thirty seconds later with several feathers missing. 

• Like 1