Beef tallow, lamb tallow, goat tallow

How times change regarding feeding I can remember waiting for the sheep heads boiling along with wessels and throttles in the yard old lass wouldn't have it cooked in the house because of the smell then letting it cool down so we got the thick white crust and jelly and being sent down the local fish market as a kid  a few times a week collecting heads to go through the mincer and all the blood from the bottom of the tray then the old girl saving any kitchen scraps plus any thing deemed unsuitable for humans from the slaughter house we had unlimited supply of green tripe and bunnys 

• Like 3

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Puts weight on my dogs got something  to do with eating it one thinks ? 

I find tripe great for Keeping weight on a dog. Have fed it to all my dogs for years.  

Grown dogs can't handle milk, what animal drinks it within nature, once they are weaned & full size? Over the last couple of years I've cut back my dog numbers, the 2/3s that are left still e

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Blackmag said:

How times change regarding feeding I can remember waiting for the sheep heads boiling along with wessels and throttles in the yard old lass wouldn't have it cooked in the house because of the smell then letting it cool down so we got the thick white crust and jelly and being sent down the local fish market as a kid  a few times a week collecting heads to go through the mincer and all the blood from the bottom of the tray then the old girl saving any kitchen scraps plus any thing deemed unsuitable for humans from the slaughter house we had unlimited supply of green tripe and bunnys 

I never boiled the heads just fed raw, there wouldn't be a tooth left, rabbits raw as well sometimes with the fur on sometimes off but always with the guts out. 

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I never boiled the heads just fed raw, there wouldn't be a tooth left, rabbits raw as well sometimes with the fur on sometimes off but always with the guts out. 

Rabbits left with the coat on apparently provided more ruffage no shortage of talkers with or without 

• Like 3
19 hours ago, jeemes said:

I can see the sense in that. When wild animals like wolves, big cats etc are at their best they are lean and dry and have usually gone a good while without meat, then after a kill they have a belly full, and it all start again. I know we all tend to look a lot at Greyhound trainers but Lurchers are hunting dogs with different stresses on them and their work is less routine and closer to nature than a greyhound. I cant believe I used to give my dogs breakfast on a morning the day of lamping, especially a wet one. When a dog gets fit it doesnt drink much, but has a good drink now and then. They dont need it, and its all that moisture that overheats them. I think your ideas are good and sound more natural to a hunting dog.

Yeh I just found that they could run sluggish if feed to much meat the day before ?

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Blackmag said:

Probably better than anything that mate just hard to get hold of now I guess..

• Like 1
7 hours ago, dodger said:

Probably better than anything that mate just hard to get hold of now I guess..

Yeah it is buddy now everything gets a dye chucked over it there use to be 4 slaughter houses near us now it's one sign of the times im afraid 

• Like 1

Called at the co op earlier n they had goats cheese reduced to next to nowt plus some eggs so that's what my lot got tonight along with a handful of pasta they loved it yesterday they had a readymeal each lol 

15 minutes ago, dodger said:

Called at the co op earlier n they had goats cheese reduced to next to nowt plus some eggs so that's what my lot got tonight along with a handful of pasta they loved it yesterday they had a readymeal each lol 

Some say it nackers them keep feeding different stuff 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Black neck said:

Some say it nackers them keep feeding different stuff 

Tbh I feed them different regularly sometimes whatever I pick up I have heard its not ideal swapping n changing tho

4 hours ago, dodger said:

Tbh I feed them different regularly sometimes whatever I pick up I have heard its not ideal swapping n changing tho

Yeah heard a few say it ,but everyone used 2 feed leftovers and that were always different, me old man used 2 feed tripe and when that were in short supply vitalin, can't get more different than that either 

On 11/05/2023 at 04:11, Black neck said:

Yeah heard a few say it ,but everyone used 2 feed leftovers and that were always different, me old man used 2 feed tripe and when that were in short supply vitalin, can't get more different than that either 

We used to use that vitalin as kids mixed it with tinned food tbh they did well off it

• Like 1