Lamped fox vs daytime fox

Which did you rate harder to catch. 
I’ve always found that on the lamp they where more difficult for the dog they seemed to run a lot more jinkier twisting and turning ,maybe the lamp blinds the dog at times too making them misjudge the strike.In general more got away than when they where pushed from cover. to where you be waitin with the dog for them to break. The element of surprise definitely increased the catch rate for myself any way. what’s your opinions ?

Edited by colliexgreyhound

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Day time for me ! Iv seen some insane runs in the day and Iv had to close my eyes a few times while there running , bolting them from cover to waiting lurchers and lamping probably equal but for the l

I think catching them regularly from cover in the daytime is harder than lamping imo....I like to walk the old quarrys at first light, usually put a few up and get a few runs?

Good post,  never really gone out just for foxes, old Bryn my 1x collie grey could find them in the day, but didn't like the sharp end , Buck could find them in the day as well. Where ever he got them

4 minutes ago, colliexgreyhound said:

Which did you rate harder to catch. 
I’ve always found that on the lamp they where more difficult for the dog they seemed to run a lot more jinkier twisting and turning maybe the lamp blinds the dog at times too making them misjudge the strike in general more got away than when they where pushed from cover to where you be waitin with the dog for them to break the element of surprise definitely increased the catch rate for myself any way what’s your opinions 

Always lamped my dogs mate dont get me wrong they would work day time with terriers bushing ive had dogs wouldnt entertain a fox but the dogs that loved the things ive had there was no real difference ATB TONY

Daytime foxes are harder because they only offer a fraction of the numbers of lamped ones. Probably equal in that the lighter dazzles the dog and fox. I don't lamp now as the sport for me is bushing with the terriers and watching the mad daytime runs. In Winter here there are plenty of foxes out sunning themselves in tussock paddocks during the day.

• Like 1

I think it all depends on where you I can take people lamping on some of the places I go and unless the dog right up the bottle you ain't catching then I've been other place and just seem to knock them over regular,don't get me wrong all dogs are different some dogs just seem to catch every and some catch on certain ground and in certain places but all ground is different obviously,I used hunt this 1 place with my mate years ago small wood full of bramble held a few foxes we would split up and hunt through it my pal old beddy x would near enough always catch in that wood my dog wouldn't catch inside the but she'd catch them if they were on the edge of it his dog just had the nack in that wood 

• Like 2

Day time for me ! Iv seen some insane runs in the day and Iv had to close my eyes a few times while there running , bolting them from cover to waiting lurchers and lamping probably equal but for the lurcher to hunt it running and kill it a hell of job 

• Like 7

Every type of quarry is better in the daytime than on the lamp fact. Plenty of dogs can look good  lamping but look average in the daytime. Foxes are probably the only thing that don’t make many mistakes on the lamp, don’t see them hitting or turning of a fence often 

• Like 2
53 minutes ago, Jude said:

Every type of quarry is better in the daytime than on the lamp fact. Plenty of dogs can look good  lamping but look average in the daytime. Foxes are probably the only thing that don’t make many mistakes on the lamp, don’t see them hitting or turning of a fence often 

Yes I’d definitely agree there maybe once or twice a season they’ll make a silly mistake like coming into the call that fast the dog hits them head on but 99% of the time they dog has to catch the fair and square 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Jude said:

Yeah true words mate 

When i see dogs like Wales 123 or that lad that put a clip up of his dogs on the hills them dogs do some miles and seriously graft for there catch were a decent lamp dog will kill 3/4 times more a week but not put the same mileage in its a bit of a double edge sword one runs miles for a kill the other takes 2/3 a night and is a better dispatcher neither could do what each does  I would guess it whats suits your needs but a good for dog is just that a good dog 

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Blackmag said:

When i see dogs like Wales 123 or that lad that put a clip up of his dogs on the hills them dogs do some miles and seriously graft for there catch were a decent lamp dog will kill 3/4 times more a week but not put the same mileage in its a bit of a double edge sword one runs miles for a kill the other takes 2/3 a night and is a better dispatcher neither could do what each does  I would guess it whats suits your needs but a good for dog is just that a good dog 

Good post, think it’s a bit unfair to compare to 2, same quarry but totally different hunting. The old saying horses for courses springs to mind.

Edited by Deerhunter1
  • Like 2
On 29/04/2023 at 00:41, tonyormy1 said:

Always lamped my dogs mate dont get me wrong they would work day time with terriers bushing ive had dogs wouldnt entertain a fox but the dogs that loved the things ive had there was no real difference ATB TONY

what i was refering to was there a diffrence between  taking 1 on the lamp to taking 1 in the day same dog same land   as the lad said he feels they  seem to jink and turn more on the lamp as in the day he foun d them  easear to take in the day  

Good post,  never really gone out just for foxes, old Bryn my 1x collie grey could find them in the day, but didn't like the sharp end , Buck could find them in the day as well. Where ever he got them he bring them back to me,. The prob I found with lamping them, was most were fookin lamp shy anyway, funny thing I've walked out  at night after edible stuff, a d had couple foxes follow me, he must sent them, and was right on to them, he killed lot of stuff out the beam anyway. ?

• Like 4

Daytime for me, either out of cover, dug or bolted. Always love a surprise bolt in a rough old spot where a lurcher has to put in a proper effort, watching a lurcher loose sight of its fox and either get it's head down and use their nose or spring on their hind legs to get sighted again reel it's fox in and kill it is priceless to me and is better than 10 handy ones on the lamp. 

• Like 4
16 hours ago, bird said:

funny thing I've walked out  at night after edible stuff, a d had couple foxes follow me,

They do. I did a bit of roo shooting years ago on stubble right out West NSW and if you turned off the lights and stopped then hit the spotlight you would have multiple foxes up close. They would follow the ute waiting for guts and dead joeys. Not many bothered shooting foxes out there.