At last....

On 26/02/2023 at 11:37, Deker said:

So, which part of, if you don't pass the test you don't get a FAC, isn't tighter regulations????

As I said we're nit picking here. I don't consider knowledge of basic safety that anyone should know before getting a gun tighter regulations. I call it a check on common sense, just like the conversation you have during you intial FEO visit.

The alternative here is there's no basic safety knowledge, eventually there's an accident and the whole anti-community is baying for blood and a total ban on firearms as they are now following Plymouth.

What I'm suggesting here is not some difficult test that's impossible to pass. It's the simplest of checks of basic safety completed online at home in 5 mins by an interactive questionnaire. Even if someone cheats they learn by looking up the answers! 

Anyone who doesn't know not to point it at others, how to make sure it's safe / unload and check it, how to traverse a style, gate or wall, shouldn't be out. 

I bet on your range Deker anyone not able to / failing to comply with any of that is straight off the range and rightly so.

The Swedish model mentioned above by KimE is far more onerous than a simple safety questionnaire and that's the other way something like this could go if a total ban wasn't imposed - expensive compulsory courses with tough exams and detailed knowledge which I'd suggest in the most part isn't necessary when a simple free safety check of the most basic of practices (and free video tutorial for those who need to learn) would suffice.

Sometimes it pays the sport to get ahead of the curve and atincipate the next attack point. No point feeding the trolls when food can be put beyond reach with no real detriment to the community.

Edited by Alsone

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...the Wulf nails a vixen. Screaming her head of and very much still in season I moved in and she came my way. Just 60yds or so. 17 HMR. Slightly out of focus but I did ok. I

I did the same with a blade of grass , but I put it between the cheeks of my arse , and just waited till I farted, worked quite well , the odd rambler weren’t to impressed tho 

If that is a dig at rifle shooters it is a poor one. In the forty + years that i ran lurchers i killed my fair share of foxes using lip squeaks, polystyrene on a mirror and cassete tape between a

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I think your a gentleman, you know when to contribute something meaningful and you know when not to say anything.

You are also very kind.

Good attributes some of us appreciate. A good friend.

No, I'm not into man love, don't like you that much ?

9 hours ago, FOXHUNTER said:

You are not a twat thats my job.

You are a good bloke with a kind heart. 

I'm not  particularly a people person but can spot a good un and you are one of them.

I don't like man love either that's Ben's department ?

That’s a kind thing for you both to say 

I guess I’m trying to make up for all the terrible things I did when I was younger, sometimes things happen in life that completely change how you look at things and how you conduct yourself, saying that, I did threaten to throw a roofer of the roof yesterday, but that’s a work thing and every now and then I forget myself ??

• Haha 2
15 minutes ago, Stavross said:

That’s a kind thing for you both to say 

I guess I’m trying to make up for all the terrible things I did when I was younger, sometimes things happen in life that completely change how you look at things and how you conduct yourself, saying that, I did threaten to throw a roofer of the roof yesterday, but that’s a work thing and every now and then I forget myself ??

Hind sight is 20/20 but if you keep looking back you'll trip!

Permission granted re the roofer ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Alsone said:

As I said we're nit picking here. I don't consider knowledge of basic safety that anyone should know before getting a gun tighter regulations. I call it a check on common sense, just like the conversation you have during you intial FEO visit.

The alternative here is there's no basic safety knowledge, eventually there's an accident and the whole anti-community is baying for blood and a total ban on firearms as they are now following Plymouth.

What I'm suggesting here is not some difficult test that's impossible to pass. It's the simplest of checks of basic safety completed online at home in 5 mins by an interactive questionnaire. Even if someone cheats they learn by looking up the answers! 

Anyone who doesn't know not to point it at others, how to make sure it's safe / unload and check it, how to traverse a style, gate or wall, shouldn't be out. 

I bet on your range Deker anyone not able to / failing to comply with any of that is straight off the range and rightly so.

The Swedish model mentioned above by KimE is far more onerous than a simple safety questionnaire and that's the other way something like this could go if a total ban wasn't imposed - expensive compulsory courses with tough exams and detailed knowledge which I'd suggest in the most part isn't necessary when a simple free safety check of the most basic of practices (and free video tutorial for those who need to learn) would suffice.

Sometimes it pays the sport to get ahead of the curve and atincipate the next attack point. No point feeding the trolls when food can be put beyond reach with no real detriment to the community.

I took my exam for smallgame then I were 14 as a class in highshool it were two science teachers, the metal and technical teacher and the woodcrafts teacher who had us making the theoretical class and the shooting part as the last week before the summer. We did only pay the test fees and ammunition. My old school still does this 35 years later.

• Like 3

I wonder how many of  you lads could call a fox by hand  that could be taken by a runner if it was legal rather than your fancy gadgets or long range rifles at  150 yards plus ect as from what I see field craft is being replaced by technology which is clear by a lot of posts 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Blackmag said:

I wonder how many of  you lads could call a fox by hand  that could be taken by a runner if it was legal rather than your fancy gadgets or long range rifles at  150 yards plus ect as from what I see field craft is being replaced by technology which is clear by a lot of posts 

Plenty. Called a few in recently by hand that a decent dog would  of caught.

I don't own an electronic caller and sometimes just use a shotgun or lamp.

Sometimes I use a flintlock, which is possibly more difficult than using a good dog!20211228_142237.jpg.3eb36ad110164ba36b4f3a568d5acf2a.jpg

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Blackmag said:

When it was all the rage mate ,used to do plenty .The runner I had got so excited I used to have to cover her eyes until last minute .

She was only 22 to the shoulder but feared of nothing .The ultimate was always bolting them though ,not that I liked a bolt ,better to dig them .The runner was very good at taking fox daylight .

How about yourself any good ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

Sometimes I use a flintlock, which is possibly more difficult than using a good dog!20211228_142237.jpg.3eb36ad110164ba36b4f3a568d5acf2a.jpg

Bet that was a slow second barrel .

2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Fair play to you sd decent size that 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

When it was all the rage mate ,used to do plenty .The runner I had got so excited I used to have to cover her eyes until last minute .

She was only 22 to the shoulder but feared of nothing .The ultimate was always bolting them though ,not that I liked a bolt ,better to dig them .The runner was very good at taking fox daylight .

How about yourself any good ?

I have always done alright ? that pulling and spinning about on a lead would do my head in but she sounded like she loved her job im bit like you fd if I put a dog in the floor I wanted a dig reason I asked about field craft is dick head next door as shot a vixen with cubs using all his fancy gadgets yet couldn't deal with the cubs the wanker but I did yesterday  as I hate lazy cnuts not following up on the job and taking responsibility for the cubs 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Blackmag said:

If that is a dig at rifle shooters it is a poor one.

In the forty + years that i ran lurchers i killed my fair share of foxes using lip squeaks, polystyrene on a mirror and cassete tape between a peg. I also dug plenty with the terriers. 

Alas, time moves on and lurcher work on fox is now illegal and terrier work limited. I have absolutely no desire these days to be hounded by the law so i now use a rifle.

If you think you can use technology without a care for fieldcraft you are sadly mistaken. It isn't a matter of pulling up in a field putting out an electronic caller and any foxes present will run straight into you, because i can assure you that won't happen.

Foxes eyesight is six times better than ours so concealment and the ability to keep still without smoking etc are paramount. Wind direction must be taken into consideration or foxes will sneak in spot you and disappear without you even knowing it. 

Technology is a useful tool in pest control and only an idiot wouldn't embrace it. It certainly doesn't replace fieldcraft but used alongside it is a boon to people trying to do a job.

If you think taking a shot at a fox that is facing you at 250/300 yds that may be partially obscured in a 20mph wind is easy then i suggest you have never done it and should reserve comment until you have. 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, ianm said:

If that is a dig at rifle shooters it is a poor one.

In the forty + years that i ran lurchers i killed my fair share of foxes using lip squeaks, polystyrene on a mirror and cassete tape between a peg. I also dug plenty with the terriers. 

Alas, time moves on and lurcher work on fox is now illegal and terrier work limited. I have absolutely no desire these days to be hounded by the law so i now use a rifle.

If you think you can use technology without a care for fieldcraft you are sadly mistaken. It isn't a matter of pulling up in a field putting out an electronic caller and any foxes present will run straight into you, because i can assure you that won't happen.

Foxes eyesight is six times better than ours so concealment and the ability to keep still without smoking etc are paramount. Wind direction must be taken into consideration or foxes will sneak in spot you and disappear without you even knowing it. 

Technology is a useful tool in pest control and only an idiot wouldn't embrace it. It certainly doesn't replace fieldcraft but used alongside it is a boon to people trying to do a job.

If you think taking a shot at a fox that is facing you at 250/300 yds that may be partially obscured in a 20mph wind is easy then i suggest you have never done it and should reserve comment until you have. 

Agree with all that apart from the technology bit  mate .This thermal and NV can make it a bit too easy .Refrained from shooting a fox last night as it came in to about 15m totally unaware of me .The moons partially up but downwind he never had a clue I was there.Fieldcraft , i agree is needed to get the best out the kit but when you’ve mastered that it becomes a formality a fox seen is generally dead .

The days of calling a fox up the lamp were more exciting Id say and daylight to a runner was the tops but I’m more than happy to be doing the pest work in total darkness with no bugger knowing you are there .

29 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

This thermal and NV can make it a bit too easy .

The days of calling a fox up the lamp were more exciting Id say .

Totally agree , shooting foxes with thermal and nv is far too easy but if you have a job to do that's fine.

I still prefer calling with the lamp , as you say it's more exciting and rewarding.