At last....

...the Wulf nails a vixen.

Screaming her head of and very much still in season I moved in and she came my way.

Just 60yds or so. 17 HMR. Slightly out of focus but I did ok.

I bumped into my fallow I've been after all season. They were couched not 200yds away from shooting the vixen and ignored my walking. But the moment I stopped to film them they got spooked.

Filmed on my sytong 66.

Superb night. A gentle breeze, new moon and a super clear array of stars, bliss.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 9

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...the Wulf nails a vixen. Screaming her head of and very much still in season I moved in and she came my way. Just 60yds or so. 17 HMR. Slightly out of focus but I did ok. I

I did the same with a blade of grass , but I put it between the cheeks of my arse , and just waited till I farted, worked quite well , the odd rambler weren’t to impressed tho 

If that is a dig at rifle shooters it is a poor one. In the forty + years that i ran lurchers i killed my fair share of foxes using lip squeaks, polystyrene on a mirror and cassete tape between a

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Deker said:

:good:

You are way ahead of me technology wise, I've nothing to record like that!

Maybe I should look more into it, loads of people filming these days!

You know what mate, for how much it costs and the fiddling involved last night after the shot I thought how it would of been so more simple to just use a gun light!

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

You know what mate, for how much it costs and the fiddling involved last night after the shot I thought how it would of been so more simple to just use a gun light!

:laugh::good:

Pretty much sums it up for me, I have assorted torches, lamping kits and NV.  The NV has the ability to link to recording but never taken that step.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

Why the second shot though mate ,baffles me tbh .She was dead on first shot .

Two reasons.

Respect for the quarry and respect for the limitations of the little bullet.

I also consider it good practice to reload quick and be back on target.

I guess a third reason could be, assume nothing.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Two reasons.

Totally agree, it has limitations, but the HMR is an excellent fox round used sensibly.

A few years back the HMR was slagged off by many as useless/underpowered for fox, mainly by those with little or no experience or who couldn't shoot straight!  But not so much anymore.

Of course it can't do everything a CF can do, but it is very effective in its field of operation.  I use the HMR a LOT for domestics, and many other situations where a CF is ridiculous overkill! 

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

Two reasons.

Understood SD but you’ve been around enough to see that fox was dead as soon as you shot  it first time .I don’t see any respect sticking another in .If it’s spinning around yes but not that shot .Each to their own but seems very strange to me .

30 minutes ago, Deker said:

Totally agree, it has limitations, but the HMR is an excellent fox round used sensibly.

A few years back the HMR was slagged off by many as useless/underpowered for fox, mainly buy those with little or no experience or who couldn't shoot straight!  But not so much anymore.

Of course it can't do everything a CF can do, but it is very effective in its field of operation.  I use the HMR a LOT for domestics, and many other situations where a CF is ridiculous overkill! 

I think the issue is it's has very little margin for error. In expert hands, there's no issue. For amateurs, espeically those with less experience, the margin for poorly placed shots is greater and thus wounded animals because the little round often doesn't deliver enough energy to kill cleanly when mis aimed. I think that's why the Police recommended it as not suitable for fox in some counties and why it also got a bad reputation against fox.

The real answer is know your limitations and if you can't hit the bullseye or close almost all of the time, choose a more suitable round for your ability (and hone your skills).

This is one real instance where some forces being reluctant to grant more powerful calibres to newbies really backfires. No-one needs .50 bmg. But granting a marginal round to someone for fox control who's very new to shooting, isn't a good idea from a welfare pov.

Edited by Alsone

9 minutes ago, Alsone said:

I think the issue is it's has very little margin for error. In expert hands, there's no issue. For amateurs, espeically those with less experience, the margin for poorly placed shots is greater and thus wounded animals because the little round often doesn't deliver enough energy to kill cleanly when mis aimed. I think that's why the Police recommended it as not suitable for fox in some counties and why it also got a bad reputation against fox.

The real answer is know your limitations and if you can't hit the bullseye or close almost all of the time, choose a more suitable round for your ability (and hone your skills).

This is one real instance where some forces being reluctant to grant more powerful calibres to newbies really backfires. No-one needs .50 bmg. But granting a marginal round to someone for fox control who's very new to shooting, isn't a good idea from a welfare pov.

There is Nothing marginal about a HMR for fox if it is used properly and within its limitations.  6 shots, 6 fox!  You can say exactly what you said above about CF, using it past yours and the guns limitations will result in issues!   Giving someone a bigger calibre because they are incompetent is not the answer!

073f.jpg.811b370ac2812a2ef6d05591c78e2705.jpg

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Alsone said:

The difference is your an expert shot. HMR's not so good for fox for those who aren't so great and they are out there unfortunately. 

Its a matter of using the HMR within its capabilities, as it is with any gun, and granting someone a bigger calibre because they can't shoot straight is bonkers!!!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

Understood SD but you’ve been around enough to see that fox was dead as soon as you shot  it first time .I don’t see any respect sticking another in .If it’s spinning around yes but not that shot .Each to their own but seems very strange to me .

So you agree that if as you put it a fox is spinning around shoot again.

So how come when I related an incident with a big fox that needed shooting again you criticised it?

Is there any useful reasoning behind anything you ask or do you simply wish to be suggestive and demeaning?

Or is it you just don't know when to keep your mouth shut?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Sausagedog said:

So you agree that if as you put it a fox is spinning around shoot again.

So how come when I related an incident with a big fox that needed shooting again you criticised it?

Is there any useful reasoning behind anything you ask or do you simply wish to be suggestive and demeaning?

Or is it you just don't know when to keep your mouth shut?

Don’t think I’ve ever suggested don’t shoot a spinning fox again mate neither did you write it was spinning in your doomed previous post mate or I’d said well done for hitting it whilst spinning .Just seems a bit strange to double tap a dead un that’s all .

I may of looked for a rise in the past but I’m a changed man now where your concerned as I know your a bit delicate .

Its only banter mate ,nothing to stress over nor go all Samaritans on me .I doubt if your style will be affected by my posts as won’t  mine .Discussion is all I’m after now but if it seems I’m irritating you then just go back to blocking me as it seemed to work just dandy in the past .

If however you feel you can hold an adult conversation then fine .I’d just lie to know why you shot that dead fox again as to me it’s far from the respect you seem to want to give quarry .A carcass full of holes tome is very disrespectful but hey ho .

3 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Two reasons.

Wise words.

The HMR is marginal on foxes and I see nothing wrong with another insurance shot.

Personally if I was targeting foxes I would only use a centrefire ,the foxes I have shot with HMR were all opportunistic when out shooting rabbits .