34 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

10 yrs ago I used to make £30/£40 per week selling chicken/duck eggs,money used to go in the kids money jar? gave up my allotment but could put a few in the backyard,save on any household food waste then too,makes sense to have a few birds ?

That’s all I do few at the top end of the garden I use them for converting food waste to eggs an for there composting making abilities for my little kitchen veg garden they make so much sense as you know there really easy to keep I’m surprised more people don’t keep a few.I think there good for kids as well as pets an for getting kids used to a little responsibility of helping look after them my 4yr old son loves em one of our hens is his it’s a light Sussex hybrid he named it Gary ?

• Like 6

Up untill about 6weeks ago I got my eggs from a fella a couple of miles away who kept a good 100 free range chickens and few ducks and geese on his place as my daughter wont eat a supermarket egg.One day I called in and hed packed it all in because of the rise in price of chicken feed.Luckily theres a few people close by that have hens that still put a few out the front of their houses with an honesty box but its just a pain driving about getting 6 here and 12 there when I could just call at his and grab as many as I needed.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I though you couldn't get free range eggs now because of the bird 'flu restrictions ?

Ive seen notices in supermarkets saying the can't sell them now and their eggs are now "shed reared".

Cheers.

No idea mate - I don't think free range eggs have ever gone away round here.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

No idea mate - I don't think free range eggs have ever gone away round here.

We all got letters saying we couldn't have our poultry free range, we couldn't even have them in runs, they had to be in sheds.

None of mine are free range, but they are in big enclosed runs.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

We all got letters saying we couldn't have our poultry free range, we couldn't even have them in runs, they had to be in sheds.

None of mine are free range, but they are in big enclosed runs.

Cheers.

Egg chaos as free range rules binned over fears EU farmers favoured | UK | News | Express.co.uk

• Like 2