New York beckons

49 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

I went into a guitar shop somewhere under a bridge in Greenwhich village, spotted they were selling Manson guitars, they are made in Exeter in Mansons guitar shop (used by the likes of Matt Bellamy, muse)... got yapping to the lad in the shop, a New Yorker, he was in regular contact with a good old friend of mine who worked in Manson for years... was bizzare to stumble on a place and a person in New York that had such close links to my little town....

Six degrees of separation ?

Cheers.

• Like 2

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some sight

I'll be with the wife ...there'll be feck all blowing of any form I can guarantee ye lol

I retired at 51 after 26 years out there and kept my airline benefits, including the free flights for me an my missus. We still travel a lot, the missus more so than me. I've not worked again, and don

Posted Images

On 06/10/2022 at 13:34, jigsaw said:

So,off to the big apple next year,I'm hoping to get to visit Cabela's,at some point,if there's any other places of interest that are not often advertised I'd be interested in hearing,...ground zero and maybe the natural history museum if I can find it,...6 day visit,..me and the demon,...,

Lived there for 8 years jig.. you will obviously be looking at the usual suspects that you have mentioned...to be honest you won't get a lot in for a 6 day visit unless your game to use the subway...and to be fair if you ever been to London NY subway be handy enough... be prepared for a lot of walking... and you will spot you a mile off because you will be constantly looking up lol but it all happensat eye level.... a lot going on and a lot to take in...lot of great food and bars...try and get a walk around 125th and Martin Luther King.... that's the real New York... but most importantly enjoy it soak it all up from the minuteyou land in JFK you will know .I loved NY... siren city... and if taking a cab be prepared to be sitting in traffic lol... if you end up in a bar in brooklyn bronx Queens or yonkers  tip the bar tender and the waitresses that's how they get there money...but if in manhatten only tip for food. Unless of course you happen to know the bar tender lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, stop.end said:

Lived there for 8 years jig.. you will obviously be looking at the usual suspects that you have mentioned...to be honest you won't get a lot in for a 6 day visit unless your game to use the subway...and to be fair if you ever been to London NY subway be handy enough... be prepared for a lot of walking... and you will spot you a mile off because you will be constantly looking up lol but it all happensat eye level.... a lot going on and a lot to take in...lot of great food and bars...try and get a walk around 125th and Martin Luther King.... that's the real New York... but most importantly enjoy it soak it all up from the minuteyou land in JFK you will know .I loved NY... siren city... and if taking a cab be prepared to be sitting in traffic lol... if you end up in a bar in brooklyn bronx Queens or yonkers  tip the bar tender and the waitresses that's how they get there money...but if in manhatten only tip for food. Unless of course you happen to know the bar tender lol.

Got up to the Bronx for a couple of beers whilst Mrs was pissing about/getting done up in a make up shop...

Would've liked to have got over to Brooklyn...

Like you say, soak it up... its a bit different to any other City... 

What were you doing over there mate?

I expect it's relatively safe there? If I had to book the trip myself then I'd never go,but as it's been given to us as a present ,then here we go.....I used the London underground but twas the wife worked it out,so hopefully we can manage the subway...I'm a bit apprehensive about it but once I'm there it'll be grand lol

8 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Got up to the Bronx for a couple of beers whilst Mrs was pissing about/getting done up in a make up shop...

Would've liked to have got over to Brooklyn...

Like you say, soak it up... its a bit different to any other City... 

What were you doing over there mate?

I've lived in Brooklyn, bronx and yonkers didn't like queen's I called queen's planes trains and automobiles...as you have the subway above ground a direct flight path from JFK and its a freeway into manhattan...

First 2 years moving high enders for a removal company... some big names great times and big tips..seeing how the elite lived... also a lot of rich upstate work..4 5 million dollar gaffs were standard... Henry Ford grandson, movie stars baseball players chats how hosts...all weirdos.. then went into joinery which was my trade..  that's when I seen the real deal new York..  working on site meeting new lads and not doing the Irish community thing anymore... amazing place...pity I'm banned inclusive or I'd love 2 week back in yonkers and bronx.. 

• Like 2
Just now, chartpolski said:

Tipping can be a nightmare in the States !

A friends daughter was a waitress in an Outback restaurant and her only wage was her tips, and she had to pay two busboys aswell !

Cheers.

Well service in NY is 2nd to none.. because as you say they depend on them..so say a meal was 20 bucks... and only one waitress tending I'd just drop 30 and any change I had.. but a tourist wouldn't do that or shouldn't be expected to... you only do that if know them or frequent a place... most will get a crap wage from the actual owner say at that time say 40 bucks a shift... say 10 hours... at the removal job I was saying about earlier was 22 bucks an hour plus tips which would of averaged out about 60 bucks a day each... but the tools was where the money was... 35 an hour in manhattan say 40 minutes subway ride in morning  and 40 back with big hours... then say 27 local with anything from half hour drive to on your doorstep.. but I worked in manhattan all the time.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, jigsaw said:

I expect it's relatively safe there? If I had to book the trip myself then I'd never go,but as it's been given to us as a present ,then here we go.....I used the London underground but twas the wife worked it out,so hopefully we can manage the subway...I'm a bit apprehensive about it but once I'm there it'll be grand lol

I left because it became a complete police state after 9 11... your a savy  man.. probably safer than Cork.  Lol

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, stop.end said:

Well service in NY is 2nd to none.. because as you say they depend on them..so say a meal was 20 bucks... and only one waitress tending I'd just drop 30 and any change I had.. but a tourist wouldn't do that or shouldn't be expected to... you only do that if know them or frequent a place... most will get a crap wage from the actual owner say at that time say 40 bucks a shift... say 10 hours... at the removal job I was saying about earlier was 22 bucks an hour plus tips which would of averaged out about 60 bucks a day each... but the tools was where the money was... 35 an hour in manhattan say 40 minutes subway ride in morning  and 40 back with big hours... then say 27 local with anything from half hour drive to on your doorstep.. but I worked in manhattan all the time.

I found the serVice excellent from Boston, New York to Texas, wether in a restaurant or a market.

I did a "big shop" in Schepplers, the western store in Texas and when I was paying, the girl asked for my zip code, when I said I didn't know wha that was she asked where I was from. I said Saudi Arabia, but I was British....that was it, the line behind me and the staff all wanted to talk to me , it took ages to get out the place !

At the grocery store there'd be a young man or girl who would pack your bags and carry them to your car, and allways called you sir ! You don't mind tipping for good service.

Cheers.

21 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I found the serVice excellent from Boston, New York to Texas, wether in a restaurant or a market.

I did a "big shop" in Schepplers, the western store in Texas and when I was paying, the girl asked for my zip code, when I said I didn't know wha that was she asked where I was from. I said Saudi Arabia, but I was British....that was it, the line behind me and the staff all wanted to talk to me , it took ages to get out the place !

At the grocery store there'd be a young man or girl who would pack your bags and carry them to your car, and allways called you sir ! You don't mind tipping for good service.

Cheers.

Sounds stellar, was it a Friday big shop, and did it include 8 litres of Rola Cola?

32 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Cheers.

Loved the place from May to October nearly always t shirt ..but if it decided to throw a lightning or monsoon storm... forget about it..lol but New York  NEVER comes to a stand still... I remember making Christmas Dinner getting  festival and it was torrential rain... Next morning 2 foot of tight compact snow... 

Sounds like all you lads loved it, should be an amazing trip Jigsaw.

Have to say, all the “go to” places in America wouldn’t appeal to me……I’d love to visit small town America, the south maybe ?……maybe the west ?

I find the day to day of places way more interesting than the big things.

Enjoy mate, lovely thing to go and do ?

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, socks said:

Poor Isla … she couldn’t have a pup and now she can’t go to New York …. What a terrible father. 

My travel highlight when I was Isla's age was a day trip to Calais, my school mates were well jell, nobody from our neighbourhood ever went abroad, unless they'd been in a war ? 

Cheers, D