First cuckoo

12 minutes ago, Neal said:

I saw and heard my first on about the 20th April on Dartmoor.?

It's the only place I hear them now Neal up on the high ground. Used to hear and see them down on the tidal parts of the Dart when I was young but no more. I always go up above Widecombe and walk out the track from Bonehill Rocks very reliable in early May to hear one this year the 8th.

Bonehill Rocks.

P1220653.JPG.a1ca4463d2fc86b759af8d8c95ccfdde.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
Just now, Arry said:

It's the only place I hear them now Neal up on the high ground. Used to hear and see them down on the tidal parts of the Dart when I was young but no more. I always go up above Widecombe and walk out the track from Bonehill Rocks very reliable in early May to hear one this year the 8th.

Bonehill Rocks.

P1220653.JPG.a1ca4463d2fc86b759af8d8c95ccfdde.JPG

Cheers Arry

Mine was near Belstone. We were talking to the owners of the cottage we stay in one evening and they mentioned that nobody had seen any cuckoos yet this year, then I heard and saw one the following morning. It took me about ten minutes to spot it, even with the binoculars, as it was perched on a granite boulder amongst a slope covered in clitter. 

Like you, Dartmoor is the only place I see them now. The last time I saw one in Hampshire was about 2006ish.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pesky1972 said:

Saw one flying overhead near Gleneagles last week. Whenever I see one in flight, I always spend a second or two trying to work out which bird of prey I’m looking at before I clock it ?

I often think that too.

15 minutes ago, Tyla said:

Hearing them by me since mid April, still plenty around here every spring 

Typical: Devon and Sussex...there must be a gap here in 'am'shire.?

I heard one on March 19th, then heard and saw another one a few days later.  The cuckoos  beat the swallows by a month which is a first ever in my experience. We normally get hoopoes at the end of May, but this year we heard one calling daily from March 20th and saw it three days later. It has been a very strange spring. 

• Like 1
   8 hours ago,  pesky1972 said: 

Saw one flying overhead near Gleneagles last week. Whenever I see one in flight, I always spend a second or two trying to work out which bird of prey I’m looking at before I clock it ?

I often think that too.     ,',,,,,,,,,,     They are designed to look like a sparrow hawk so when they buzz over a warbler/ hosts nest the parent will leave the nest long enough for them to lay there egg, it’s a deliberate mimic by Mother Nature ???

• Like 9