Grass Snake .

There's a first for everything , today a lady phoned me to ask if i would remove a grass snake from her pond . Its eating all the wildlife in there she said.

I did turn this job down , not sure how good a grass snake would smell in the van if i even managed to grab hold of it.

• Haha 3

I've had three "snake" jobs. The most recent was a call to an adder in a stable. " Adder in a stable!" Of course l'd come and have a look . Great photo oppertunity if nothing else. On the way there l formulated several plans regarding its safe capture and release. Of course it turned out to be just  a grass snake which was a bit of a come-down.

l've told the next two stories on here before but the second one of em might give someone a laugh.

The first involved a snake in the living room of a third floor flat in the middle of town. The girl who lived there had wisely stuffed a towel under the door so it couldn't  escape and the decor was pretty minimalistic . A cautious search ensued  as her description of a  brown snake didn't  sound like a harmless grassy-type thing.  I found it eventually in a wooden box used to store CDs , all wrapped around one of the rope handles . It was a slow worm. But what was it doing three storeys up in a block of flats in the middle of town?

The most likely explanation was that it had hitched a lift  with a plant that the girl had bought from a garden centre a few days before to decorate her little veranda. 

My bestest snake story started when a customer that l was doing a mole job for mentioned that he had a snake living in his garage and asking if l could have a look. Well of course l could.  Who wouldn't  want a look!

Apparently it lived behind a sheet of plywood that leant against the wall. Before going further l have to say in my defence that the garage was quite dark  .    The snake was in the expected place but in the gloom identifying the snake wasn't easy.

I expresed my "expert" opinion that it definately wasn't a native species. My impression was that it was a baby constrictor of some sort,  and it looked pretty torpid. Positioning a box either end of the wooden sheet l gave the snake a poke with a stick. It didn't  move. " Ah" l announced in a sage-like manner, " l think it's  dead." 

So l moved in for a closer look.  And realised l had been trying to catch a Beany Baby python. Well it was dark!???

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I was letting my hens out at 6am half asleep wearing my slippers,  as I pulled the pop hole open a bloody snake landed on my feet , I stood up that quick I smacked my head on the hen house roof and when I was half way back to the house I realised I had left my slippers I can laff about it now but it bloody scared me ha not what I was expecting,  I did go back and look for the snake with a stick and bucket but couldn't find him

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

I was letting my hens out at 6am half asleep wearing my slippers,  as I pulled the pop hole open a bloody snake landed on my feet , I stood up that quick I smacked my head on the hen house roof and when I was half way back to the house I realised I had left my slippers I can laff about it now but it bloody scared me ha not what I was expecting,  I did go back and look for the snake with a stick and bucket but couldn't find him

I probably would of woken the neighbourhood ?

8 minutes ago, sid g said:

had one last year mrs was putting some bedding plants out screamed and shouted  SNAKE  it was about a foot long .  few days later i saw one about 3 ft long think it was down to the  new builds  people were seeing them in the gardens we even had eggs in the compost . 

Longest british grass snake I ever saw was about 3 feet, very impressive, but not the norm. 

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...