Learning a second language

Never had the temperament for it but I’m now considering it.

What useful tools are available these days? Anyone used apps that you can just flick on for five minutes a few times a day? Any more effort than that realistically I just won’t stick.

I’m interested in learning the basics of Italian. Literally enough to get by.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I spent 26 years learning Arabic, but still speak it like Borat speaks English ! ? ! Cheers.

Dos cervezas por favor ?

A few lads have mate  , I haven’t got the grasp of basic language rhythm to be if any use bar “ Akuna mattata “  i know an black African lad who spoke 6 or 7 languages fluent and was working for

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, McVey said:

Try learning Polish, to do so would take a lot of time and even more effort.

I bought a little book but haven't been arsed to study it, think it's one of the most difficult languages to learn.

Spanish is a piece of piss, I'm guessing Italian won't be too difficult with a bit of practice, it rolls off the tongue quite easily.

Dos cervezas por favor ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
27 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

What useful tools are available these days? Anyone used apps that you can just flick on for five minutes a few times a day? Any more effort than that realistically I just won’t stick.

Letteralmente per carvasela ?

Cheers.

I had a bash at learning Italian a few years ago ,I never stuck at it but things are different now with the tinterweb ,I would definitely try one of the romance languages ,the words and sounds are a lot more familiar to us than most other languages .

• Like 1

If you learn one language they say it is easier to learn another. Not for me. We learned Greek a few years ago before learning French. Because the Pimsleur language course is structured the same for both languages I kept answering in Greek, not French. The Pimsleur course is good though.

I can now order two beers in four languages, but in times of confusion I sometimes ask for the same two beers in four languages.

My kids have apps to help them with French for school, not sure how good they are. I’d like to learn Italian, ideally whilst I drive to and from work, which is typically 5-8 hours a week! Interactive apps no good when you’re driving. Just had a look on Spotify and there are some basic audio courses on there. Might be worth a try to get started ??‍♂️

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, pesky1972 said:

My kids have apps to help them with French for school, not sure how good they are. I’d like to learn Italian, ideally whilst I drive to and from work, which is typically 5-8 hours a week! Interactive apps no good when you’re driving. Just had a look on Spotify and there are some basic audio courses on there. Might be worth a try to get started ??‍♂️

FFS don't learn Italian while you drive. Italians need both hands to communicate. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

beer   and  sex .?   all you need to knoww    international  talk!!

57 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I spent 26 years learning Arabic, but still speak it like Borat speaks English ! ? !

Cheers.

Katchum is fluent in Russian like . 

I can speak about 100 wordsish and maybe 20 phrases in Both Fijian and Swahili. I can sing Jambo bwhana pretty much off pat . 

made my self a laminated cheat sheet with flash cards and high lighters enough to get by . 

stick tacquia on the end of a Fijian sentence and you can get away with murder . Bula tacquia 

Google translate.?. Very useful.

I often find if I try to communicate in a foreign language, the person I'm speaking to will often say "English please. It's quicker."

If all else fails shout at the foreign b*****ds.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

Katchum is fluent in Russian like . 

I can speak about 100 wordsish and maybe 20 phrases in Both Fijian and Swahili. I can sing Jambo bwhana pretty much off pat . 

made my self a laminated cheat sheet with flash cards and high lighters enough to get by . 

stick tacquia on the end of a Fijian sentence and you can get away with murder . Bula tacquia 

As a military man, I'd of thought learning Russian or Arabic would be good for career advancement ?

Cheers.