Bitch lined

4 minutes ago, terryd said:

I would say a 14 inch terrier regardless of coat will hit tighter cover than a spaniel. Terriers are just made for it obviously if they can jam up a tight pipe  

Exactly , it's the first time I've ever heard someone say working cover isn't a terriers job ? Granted there  used in earth work doesn't mean that's there only job 

• Like 1

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Priorities are right then

Nice drive up north east at the weekend to line my bitch. This is the sire the dog on the left.  Nice well put together dog standing at about 12 " tts. Fingers crossed the bitch has taken as I'm keepi

My favourite thread atm. God, I'm sad ?‍♀️ Cheers, D.

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

Did you not have a spaniel terrier wich you used for working cover ? Then parted with as you said your russel x whippet worked cover well enough? And there plenty terriers out there working cover alot better than some spaniels , and most spaniels won't kill in cover maybe he needs that  

Yes for what I do. I’ve also got a 25 1/2 lurcher that will go through any cover but it doesn’t mean it’s better than a pure  spaniel 

1 minute ago, socks said:

Yes for what I do. I’ve also got a 25 1/2 lurcher that will go through any cover but it doesn’t mean it’s better than a pure  spaniel 

I'm not saying yours  is I was simply saying some terriers are better for working tight cover than spaniels and also that there plenty of terriers used for bushing / working cover 

Most spaniels will smash around in cover and struggle and push trough realy tight stuff where a small terrier will clear cover alot quicker with a desire to kill what there hunting 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, terryd said:

I would say a 14 inch terrier regardless of coat will hit tighter cover than a spaniel. Terriers are just made for it obviously if they can jam up a tight pipe  

He's standing at 13inch an my bitch is 14" terry. Breedings there so hopefully be some nice pups time will tell. 

2 hours ago, socks said:

It's each to there own pal but for me you can't beat a terrier for all-round work. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Elchapo said:

Exactly , it's the first time I've ever heard someone say working cover isn't a terriers job ? Granted there  used in earth work doesn't mean that's there only job 

Had a cocker that was full of field trials champions in its lines. Great worker on land an some cover but when it come to thick cover couldn't do the work. You look at lads who work spaniels day in day out. There working on open land grass cover , woodland , game crops. Beaters beating thick cover to draw the game out. A spaniel is ment to stay at foot until the shooter as shoot the quarry. Then they'll have pointers to point up so you could say the pointer is the hard worker. So your right mate you can't beat a terrier for any work up an above the sod. 

18 minutes ago, Bangersanmash said:

Had a cocker that was full of field trials champions in its lines. Great worker on land an some cover but when it come to thick cover couldn't do the work. You look at lads who work spaniels day in day out. There working on open land grass cover , woodland , game crops. Beaters beating thick cover to draw the game out. A spaniel is ment to stay at foot until the shooter as shoot the quarry. Then they'll have pointers to point up so you could say the pointer is the hard worker. So your right mate you can't beat a terrier for any work up an above the sod. 

Thought labs was supposed to stay at heel till sent to retrieve? Spaniels in my area are used for pushing thick cover to guns and to retrieve. Like any dog some will smash cover some won’t  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They'd make good dogs for over here for bushing out anything from rabbits to pigs if they are anything like my Parson Russell. He's pretty game but very skillful and intelligent, they have to be to kill over 30 brown snakes and still be alive where the denning Russells were just too game and just bore straight in on snakes or pigs which is suicide in most cases for them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Thought labs was supposed to stay at heel till sent to retrieve? Spaniels in my area are used for pushing thick cover to guns and to retrieve. Like any dog some will smash cover some won’t  

I was at the midland a few years ago and a chap there was explaining how you get a dog to work cover. he blabbed on a bit and I turned to my brother and said what a load of boxxks, a dog either fancies it or it doesn't, you are spot on mate ?

36 minutes ago, fred90 said:

I was at the midland a few years ago and a chap there was explaining how you get a dog to work cover. he blabbed on a bit and I turned to my brother and said what a load of boxxks, a dog either fancies it or it doesn't, you are spot on mate ?

Had a cocker when I was early teens. My first dog for beating and she was mental in cover in and out of anything. She had white spots on her eye balls from thorns that had spiked her eyes and never calmed down till 6 months before she had to be pts. Would have another like her for pushing cover! 

2 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

When training a spaniel if it doesn't listen to your commands its no good. Staying at the heel is the first command then sending it off back then back to heel you dont want it going out of sight.  If it's breed right it will pick it up no bother. Eye contact is the main rule in them kind of dogs spaniels especially. My bitch would sit side by side of me on sofa nose touching my chin an stay there till a told her to f**k off. A didn't say they can't work cover if there's decent size opening in thick cover they will. But spaniels wasn't bred for that bring it up. 

1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

They'd make good dogs for over here for bushing out anything from rabbits to pigs if they are anything like my Parson Russell. He's pretty game but very skillful and intelligent, they have to be to kill over 30 brown snakes and still be alive where the denning Russells were just too game and just bore straight in on snakes or pigs which is suicide in most cases for them.

It's crazy how game they are this bitch of mine was swing off this young lads pits neck. It could of gone wrong for her. But at the time she just seen red when it sniffed her back end lol. My lurcher ran off soft c**t. Lad a now an he even said it's dog fault for comin upto her. You don't see many lads working the parson no more same as the beddy a good working beddy..

Edited by Bangersanmash
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Are you sure it wasn't a cavalier king Charles?

• Haha 3
7 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Mate you need to stop. Are you saying the spaniel stays at foot until the pointer indicates at the shot bird because that’s how I read this. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, socks said:

Mate you need to stop. Are you saying the spaniel stays at foot until the pointer indicates at the shot bird because that’s how I read this. 

24 minutes ago, socks said:

Come on ffs the pointer points the game so the handler can see. The handler has the spaniel at foot. After shooting the game the handler sends the spaniel on its way to retrieve the game back to hand are you being serious mate 

• Haha 6