Metal Detecting.

1 minute ago, jukel123 said:

You've never lived till you get that big pull on the line. Just been out with the dogs and one saw a cat and pulled on the lead. My first reaction was" its a pull on the line, strike!" Give  it a try mate. You'll be hooked.??

I've been the odd time when I was a kid. 

All I was bothered about was seeing how far I could cast out. 

Lad who I travel with to work has got thousands of pounds worth of kit, feck that.. ?

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Out for couple of hours in a field today two coins, bit gutted worn. A bit of brass that I think horses reins went through. A rivet fro an old belt that probably drove a thrashing machine. And a bit o

A few of the better hammered I’ve found  edward 1st,Henry v1,Elizabeth 1,Henry 111,Mary,James I   

Do a fair bit of detecting found some nice bits, found this the other week when I was walking the dogs part of a Bronze Age flint dagger

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, mackem said:

This guy wasn't birdwatching, well, he might have been but had a metal detector with him on land he shouldn't have been on, the last I heard he was getting prosecuted? I wonder how much is found and just gets sold on discretely, out of sight out of mind, finders keepers and all that ?

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Bird watching in a field in eastern England led to a find worth more than £800,000 for one keen...

This is him..... 

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Shane Wood, 62, and Kim Holman, 61, are accused of failing to notify the coroner after...

4 minutes ago, mackem said:

This is him..... 

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

Shane Wood, 62, and Kim Holman, 61, are accused of failing to notify the coroner after...

Think I've found my career change, I'll end up digging 12ft for my steel toecaps. 

• Haha 1
Just now, Greb147 said:

Think I've found my career change, I'll end up digging 12ft for my steel toecaps. 

That ones as old as the one who jacked in his job at the helium factory. " No f****r talks to me like that" he said.

• Haha 2

I've all ways been interested in field walking finding stone age flints which I have found loads. Ferreting, fishing, shooting, foraging for fungi mushrooms, Photos etc so I got a metal detector, like I needed another hobby lol. I alway found it interesting and have farms river banks and beaches I can search on. Well river banks near me full of Bullets from an old rifle range and of coarse fishing weighs, drove me mad. Fields all I seem to find is plough shears horse shoes few modern coins and bits and pieces no hoards but here's hoping.

Be nice to have a separate section on the forum.

Cheers Arry

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Greb147 said:

What's the law regarding it all, if you find certain amounts of certain gear you have got to hand it in? 

He told me museum's are robbing cnuts and dishonest. ?

This is a lad I used to knock about with; looks like it depends on the material whether you have to share it or not. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3615213/amp/Metal-detector-enthusiast-unearths-2-000-year-old-Roman-ingot-worth-250-000-Somerset-farm.html

47 minutes ago, mackem said:

Nighthawks are nocturnal metal detector it's without permission, they are getting clued up, really techie nowadays with complex machines and sometimes carry thermals so they don't get nabbed. If you find anything of value don't hand it in, your find is often undervalued and it can take years sometimes to get your cash, there's dealers of antiquities advertise in metal detecting magazines who are discrete. 

WWW.DAILYMAIL.CO.UK

George Powell, 38, and Layton Davies, 51, failed to declare an 'invaluable' collection of buried...

Bumped into a few fishing now, they're an odd lot. They love some of the beaches down here because of posh people with holiday homes and tourists 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, South hams hunter said:

they're an odd lot. 

We are all odd in our own little ways, it's good to be a little different ? Gary Drayton the English professional metal detector it's from "Oak island" found an incredible gold ring once worth half a million dollars. If I was a kid again I wouldn't mind a year in Australia in the bush prospecting with a detector. 

• Like 4
12 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Wonder if metal detectorists do a bit of moonlight detecting on protected sites? I've known some lurcher boys who got lost from their permission in the middle of the night. ?????

Night Hawks they are called round my way and i've had a  few phone calls over the years by farmers who's land i hunt to go check out the torch light in the middle of the fields...

14 hours ago, Greb147 said:

As I thought, get hammered more than rapists and paedophiles. 

They didn't mess about them lads did they, until they got caught that is. ?

Quite a few boys I no that were into poaching years back are now into hawking, greater rewards for lower risks basically, I bought my misses a metal detector when we moved onto the boat as there is a lot of Roman occupation around here and a few spots on the Severn the soldiers used to cross at low tide, we just haven’t had time to go out and use it yet ??

• Like 2